Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Pop and Lock PL8521 Power Tailgate Install (2012 Tacoma)

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #201
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanWhiteTRD View Post
Quick question before placing my order. Is the Pop n Lock on eBay (Pop & Lock PL8521 Power Tailgate Lock for 05-12 Toyota Tacoma) the same as the one on the Pop n Lock website? They look different with the eBay one being black with a metal thing and the website is gold without the metal. Thanks in advance.
Those I saw on eBay (using your search words) look like the one I installed. Anyway, your perception of gold may be the anodized metal bracket and lock arm. The appearance of anodized metal (unless intentionally colored a specific color) will vary depending on the light - often a very vague rainbow appearance ranging from violet to blue, to red, to gold, and so on. Anodizing increases corrosion and wear resistance.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #202
toyochris is on a distinguished road
Name: Christian
toyochris's Tacoma Gallery
Just finished the install of PL8521 on 2013 DCSB, piece of cake . I got mine off amazon for $77 even though it said it wouldn't fit a 2013. Also, as other members have posted, my unit has a black housing with a silver mounting bracket which also included a block of closed cell foam attached to the underside. I was surprised to see the foam but it just meant that I didn't have to swipe one of my wife's kitchen sponges to be used as padding. Guess P&L caught on?

The Radioshack Tap-in squeeze connectors (~$3 for a 10 pack) are a lot better than the ones that come with the kit. This is a good tip from the op.

Now if they would add a second mounting point to the current single bolt design. I ended up using loctite and a lock washer on the bolt to secure the actuator.

Has anyone seen a mod to add a second mounting point for these locks?
Old 04-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #203
BryanWhiteTRD is on a distinguished road
BryanWhiteTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry I was looking at Amazon vs PopnLock website. Changed post to reflect that.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:10 AM   #204
tacoman2 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jon
tacoman2's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed mine yesterday and everything went accordingly. I wired it to the rear door at the driver's side. It was a fun and easy install and only because of the vast amount of instructions and tips from all of you and the OP. So thank you to all. Drive safe.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #205
EODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: EOD Tech
Name: Jacob
EODTech08's Tacoma Gallery
just ordered mine!
Old 04-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #206
Seer will become famous soon enoughSeer will become famous soon enough
Name: Tom
Seer's Tacoma Gallery
I understand this if you're running a cap or a tonneau cover, but what would be the advantage to this over a tailgate security hinge cover like https://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-242-...protector.aspx?
I'm a noob here, hope it's okay to insert a link like this.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:06 AM   #207
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^^ It's simply a matter of preference, Tom. Some, for example, prefer the really inexpensive hose clamp solution (see mods list) over the Pop & Lock. It works, so why not. The Pop & Lock works, so why not. Your link shows yet another option. Do what you feel is best for you.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:22 AM   #208
BayRanger is on a distinguished road

Name: T
BayRanger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seer View Post
I understand this if you're running a cap or a tonneau cover, but what would be the advantage to this over a tailgate security hinge cover like https://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-242-...protector.aspx?
I'm a noob here, hope it's okay to insert a link like this.
Yeah man the reason I bought it was to secure the area with my bed cover. Licks them all together. Otherwise I'd go with what you posted fir tailgate security alone.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:30 AM   #209
Seer will become famous soon enoughSeer will become famous soon enough
Name: Tom
Seer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartx View Post
^^ It's simply a matter of preference, Tom. Some, for example, prefer the really inexpensive hose clamp solution (see mods list) over the Pop & Lock. It works, so why not. The Pop & Lock works, so why not. Your link shows yet another option. Do what you feel is best for you.
Thanks, I have to say this forum is filled with about the nicest group of folk I've run across. There are some forums I belong to where I could have been burned at the stake for asking such a heretical question. This mod is pretty fantastic, but money's pretty tight right now. Any type of security is going to be much cheaper than a tailgate replacement so I was wondering if one was more secure than another before I really got into doing this. Thanks again.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:54 AM   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seer View Post
Thanks, I have to say this forum is filled with about the nicest group of folk I've run across. There are some forums I belong to where I could have been burned at the stake for asking such a heretical question. (snip)
Nah, we usually just let you get a bit more comfortable here before giving you a hard time. The fires will be kept going, with the stakes at the ready, until then.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #211
burair is on a distinguished road
burair's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplejjj View Post
STEWARTZ, good point, thanks for the info. Also here is a video on youtube
showing the install but it's for the drivers door, no big deal just go to the passenger door instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK0Cu..._6CQi7PvknDYQQ
Curious if anyone went through the engine bay like the video instructed. Just worried about water coming up into the cab if you go through the floor board.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #212
Havik is on a distinguished road

Name: Derrick
Havik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by burair View Post
Curious if anyone went through the engine bay like the video instructed. Just worried about water coming up into the cab if you go through the floor board.
I did. I went through the factory grommet as the video showed.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #213
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm going to get some silicone and seal up the rubber grommet in the floor board at some point, just to make sure it doesn't leak.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #214
Maximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: D
Maximus's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for posting this
Old 04-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #215
JTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeryck
JTyfz450's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
I'm going to get some silicone and seal up the rubber grommet in the floor board at some point, just to make sure it doesn't leak.
I ended up doing this. Never got any moisture, but did it more so as a precautionary measure.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #216

Quote:
Take a good look at the grommets under the front seats. There are already several wire bundles running through them, with no silicone or other sealant used by Toyota. Those rubber grommets are tight and stretch to form well around any wiring running through them. Indeed, you're have a time feeding wires through those grommets, especially with the split plastic sheathing for that wiring intact (how I did it). Those grommets are also coned shaped to funnel water down, away from the vehicle interior.

The grommets feeding into the engine bay may be a different story. However, I suspect Toyota also designed them to prevent water problems without any extra help from some type of sealant.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #217
Beers is on a distinguished road
Beers's Tacoma Gallery
This is from my write up a few pages back. Haven't had any moisture problems in the truck. Solid seal and really easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beers View Post
One change I made was with the rubber plug going into the cab. Instead of cutting an "X" in it I drilled a hole with my drill press. A 3/8" bit gave just enough of an opening to get the wiring in the sleeve through while keeping a solid seal. The rubber stretched while the bit went through then shrunk up so the end result isn't as big as the bit itself.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #218
Coolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Coolerman's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone have any experience with wiring one of these into an 05? Here is my problem. The directions say I should have a blue/pink and a blue/white wire on the harness going to the driver side door to patch into. Well when i look at my harness it has a blue/pink but no blue/white. There is a blue/yellow so I gave that a shot. The lock would fire in one direction but not the other. so I have disconnected the wiring until I can figure out the correct wire.
There is a tech support number on the pop n lock and I will give them a call when I get a chance. Just thought maybe a member on here could tell me.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #219
JTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeryck
JTyfz450's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolerman View Post
Does anyone have any experience with wiring one of these into an 05? Here is my problem. The directions say I should have a blue/pink and a blue/white wire on the harness going to the driver side door to patch into. Well when i look at my harness it has a blue/pink but no blue/white. There is a blue/yellow so I gave that a shot. The lock would fire in one direction but not the other. so I have disconnected the wiring until I can figure out the correct wire.
There is a tech support number on the pop n lock and I will give them a call when I get a chance. Just thought maybe a member on here could tell me.

Try this link out. This member installed it in a 08. Hope that helps.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...521-guide.html
Old 04-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #220
Coolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Coolerman's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the link, I searched around the other day but didn't find this one. I think Ill have to get out the tester and search until I find the second wire. I was rushed the other night and didn't have the time to keep at it. Ill report back when I find out which one it is.

I also emailed etrailer and pop and lock to see what they say. No response yet.

Products Discussed in this Thread