Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Pop and Lock PL8521 Power Tailgate Install (2012 Tacoma)

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #221
Searcher & Lurker
veronatii is on a distinguished road
Name: Spencer
veronatii's Tacoma Gallery
Just ordered mine... Thanks for the writeup!
Old 04-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #222
EODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: EOD Tech
Name: Jacob
EODTech08's Tacoma Gallery
A few pics from my install to add.

I wedged a sponge between the lock and tailgate to stop the rattling noise.

I followed the backup camera wiring on the right side.

Accessed the cab under the passenger seat. This entry point is now sealed with silicone as well to make sure there's no moisture leak.

The Radioshack wire tap-ins are WAAAAYYYY better than the ones that came with it. Also my wire bundle wasn't the same as the OPs. My blue-pink and blue-black were located in the bundle directly above the OPs.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:47 AM   #223
Coolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Coolerman's Tacoma Gallery
Update on my 05:
My wires ended up being Blue/Pink and Blue/Black. The instructions indicated blue/white but that wire was not there. It also appears like there were two harness that went to the door. One with slightly larger gauge wires and one slightly smaller. The blue/pink was in the larger gauge bundle, and the blue/black was in the smaller gauge bundle.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #224
Luke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant future
EMS:
Name: Luke
Luke01's Tacoma Gallery
Well I am lost trying to connect it to the drivers side door and can not find the right wires for this. Has anyone done it to the drivers side door? If so is it possible to show me what wires it goes to? Some how I managed to hook into the mirror circuit with a blue and pink and blue with black
Old 05-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #225
Luke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant future
EMS:
Name: Luke
Luke01's Tacoma Gallery
Disregard the above post! I pulled open the passengers side and the right two wires where looking at me. Less then 30min install on the passengers side compared to the 3 hours hunting for two wires on the drivers side. Yep I am that hard headed.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #226
TacomaCon is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
TacomaCon's Tacoma Gallery
Got mine installed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc-3TjoWGtM
Old 05-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #227
surfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shed
surfrat's Tacoma Gallery
where is everyone ordering these from? seems like amazon is the cheapest... to bad they don't take paypal
Old 05-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #228
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfrat View Post
where is everyone ordering these from? seems like amazon is the cheapest... to bad they don't take paypal
Amazon.......
Old 05-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #229
hdjester13 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
hdjester13's Tacoma Gallery
Just did my install today. It would appear that pop and lock pays attention to this forum, as the instructions I received were pretty accurate, and were written to connect to the driver's side rear door to make it activate on the second push of the unlock button, and also, the wire colors it had listed were correct. The lock also came with a foam piece and had a sticky pad to stick the foam to between the lock and the tailgate.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #230
TacomaCon is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
TacomaCon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Brought mine directly from Pop N Lock

http://www.popandlock.net/Power_Tail...coma/PL8521-79

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdjester13 View Post
Just did my install today. It would appear that pop and lock pays attention to this forum, as the instructions I received were pretty accurate, and were written to connect to the driver's side rear door to make it activate on the second push of the unlock button, and also, the wire colors it had listed were correct. The lock also came with a foam piece and had a sticky pad to stick the foam to between the lock and the tailgate.

This is it.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #231
Searcher & Lurker
veronatii is on a distinguished road
Name: Spencer
veronatii's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody else think that the actuator is kind of loud?
Old 05-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #232
Superdavert is on a distinguished road

Name: Dave
Superdavert's Tacoma Gallery
I followed the back up camera wires for my install as well. Sealed the entry point with silicone. I do think its loud, but I heard that it quiets down over time. I love the product. Don't have to worry about someone stealing my stuff if I go into a store or restaurant.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #233
Coolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coolerman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I bought mine from etrailer.com they have a nice install video too.

http://www.etrailer.com/Locks/Pop-an...FRN0MgodXkoAbw
Old 05-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #234
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by veronatii View Post
It's in a hollow tailgate with no insulation or other sound deadening material around it, so is obviously going to be louder than the similar locks inside the insulated vehicle doors.

In my case, the sound was far less noticeable after a time. Don't know if this was caused by the lock wearing in or me just getting used to the noise. I believe the sound got quieter. It was once quite noticeable at the driver's door, but I really have to listen for it now. But, to be perfectly honest, I hardly pay any attention anymore, so it may be just as loud.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #235
Remember Your ABC's. Always. Be. Cool.
Bsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Brandon
Bsheriff11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolerman View Post
I bought mine from etrailer.com they have a nice install video too.

http://www.etrailer.com/Locks/Pop-an...FRN0MgodXkoAbw
Same here
Old 05-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #236
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by veronatii View Post
I really only notice mine when I'm standing right next to the tailgate.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #237
tacoman2 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jon
tacoman2's Tacoma Gallery
I installed this a month ago and I noticed last week that my tailgate is no longer locking. So I reopened my tailgate to see where the problem is and what I've found out is the bar that slides up and down that is supported by a flimsy spring keeps slipping down. The spring that is suppose to hold it up in the lock position is loose. Amazon is kind enough to replace it for me. Anybody else having this problem?
Old 05-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #238
bps is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
bps's Tacoma Gallery
I installed mine today and love it. For those just beginning to read this tread, I found the following posts very useful leading up to my installation:

Post 1
Post 32
Post 63 & 64
Post 80 & 81
Post 135
Post 156

Bryan
Old 05-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #239

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman2 View Post
I've had mune installed for about a month now and I noticed last week that my tailgate is no longer locking. So I reopened my tailgate to see where the problem is and what I've found out is the bar that slides up and down that is supported by a flimsy spring keeps slipping down. The spring that is suppose to hold it up in the lock position is loose. Amazon is kind enough to replace it for me. Anybody else having this problem?
I've had mine for over a month, no issues yet. Knock on wood.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #240
MUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to all

MUDFISH's Tacoma Gallery
Just ordered mine and bookmarked the thread...

Products Discussed in this Thread