1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pop and Lock PL8521 Power Tailgate Install (2012 Tacoma)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JTyfz450, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Aug 19, 2014 at 3:45 PM
    ssilence

ssilence Well-Known Member

Member:
    Middle Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Pre-Runner
    Pop and Lock
    I ordered mine today. Looking forward to getting this installed this week. What a great upgrade.

2. Aug 19, 2014 at 8:53 PM
    JTyfz450

JTyfz450 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeryck
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB MGM
    I've had mine for 2 years and some change now and I haven't had any issues. Just added some grease as maintenance to keep it nice and smooth. I do plan on getting the Pop and Lock with both the remote lock/unlock and key lock/unlock combo. I wonder if I can just change the handle out without redoing the wires...

3. Sep 12, 2014 at 5:05 PM
    Adm55

Adm55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2015 PreRunner Access Cab
    Hey guys, I'm having a tough time locating the grommet under the passenger seat in 2015 Access Cab. I don't see any wiring at all under the vehicle on the passenger side... Has anyone had this issue?

4. Sep 12, 2014 at 6:45 PM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    You're not looking for wiring. Look for a black circular piece of rubber. Then pop it out, slide wires through, then run them up in the space under the door jam plastic.

5. Sep 12, 2014 at 8:10 PM
    Adm55

Adm55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2015 PreRunner Access Cab
    Found it and everything is working perfectly! super easy install hardest part for me was finding that damn grommet..

6. Sep 18, 2014 at 5:17 PM
    grangicon

grangicon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Lubbock TX
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Sport
    Camper top
    Just installed my P&L today from these instruction, and it was cake. Instructions in the box were less helpful. Installed an OEM tailgate handle with backup camera, put the P&L on it, and it worked beautifully.
    P&L instructions (and some YouTube video) say to run wires through engine compartment, so I had my hood open. Your key fob lock function will not work with the hood open! Once I closed my hood I also had to swap leads in the tailgate to get it locking and unlocking with the correct buttons.

7. Sep 26, 2014 at 12:46 PM
    DeltaSteve

DeltaSteve Social Critic

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    FW,TX near TCU
    Vehicle:
    '09 White TRD access
    KING 2.0" PERFORMANCE SERIES REMOTE RESERVOIR COILOVER SHOCK W COILOVERS, TC UCA, OME DAKAR SPRINGS, RELENTLESS PLATE R BUMPER and MORE :)
    Installation a breeze up to wiring, 2009 AC trying to get power from passengers side pinkish red/black and blue/black no workie tried these wires under b pillar cover also used 9v to check solenoid it works fine :(

8. Sep 26, 2014 at 5:23 PM
    VenturaSuperMagna

VenturaSuperMagna Loving Life!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    Go Rhino D2 Stainless Steel steps, Gator FX3 Tonneau Cover, in bed battery powered Led light, Pop and lock power tailgate lock, keyed locks for all 5 storage compartments, in window channel rain deflectors, front hood bug deflector, weather tech floor mats. More to come...
    It does not mater if wire on Passenger side or drivers side as long as you don't connect to drivers door it will take 2 clicks to open. I wired mine on drivers side to rear door on 2015 DCSB SP 4X4. Works great. I think the only time it would matter is in AC or RC where there is not a back door lock circuit on the drivers side.

9. Sep 26, 2014 at 5:27 PM
    VenturaSuperMagna

VenturaSuperMagna Loving Life!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    Go Rhino D2 Stainless Steel steps, Gator FX3 Tonneau Cover, in bed battery powered Led light, Pop and lock power tailgate lock, keyed locks for all 5 storage compartments, in window channel rain deflectors, front hood bug deflector, weather tech floor mats. More to come...
  10. Sep 26, 2014 at 5:37 PM
    DeltaSteve

DeltaSteve Social Critic

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    FW,TX near TCU
    Vehicle:
    '09 White TRD access
    KING 2.0" PERFORMANCE SERIES REMOTE RESERVOIR COILOVER SHOCK W COILOVERS, TC UCA, OME DAKAR SPRINGS, RELENTLESS PLATE R BUMPER and MORE :)
    OK I think "sbechtold" on page 14 has this covered, I was trying to tap into the wires under the right b pillar. I should go under the kick panel, i'll try that tomorrow.

11. Oct 29, 2014 at 4:20 PM
    CO Ryan

CO Ryan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Offroad
    stuff
    easy peasy. Did mine today, along with some bed lights.

12. Oct 29, 2014 at 10:18 PM
    TacomaTruckParts

TacomaTruckParts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    San Gabriel
  13. Nov 9, 2014 at 6:37 PM
    wanna taco

wanna taco What's my name?

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4x2 Barcelona Red!
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    8521 update install 2015 Doublecab

Today I installed my 8521 Pop & Lock. That's the one with no key, just the electric operation from the keyfob. I had seen all the reviews and had intended to buy the $17 add-on plate that secures it to a second bolt, but I'm kind of a hands on guy, so I decided to make my own using a Simpson StrongTie galvanized flat strap. This strap has multiple holes, but did need one additional hole drilled, a small notch cut, and a couple of bends to match it to the opposite side handle mount. Nothing against the $17 item, it appears to be just as strong as the one I made and worth the money if you don't want to make yourt own.

That done, the wire followed the camera wire to under the bumper, where both the camera and P&L connectors would be conveniently together should I need to remove the tailgate. Using the zip ties provided with the P&L, secure the wire to the passenger side cable harness running forward. I advise to use extra zip ties to keep it snug up to that harness all the way, as you don't want it anywhere near the exhaust pipe or muffler.

A couple of other instructional videos show the wire going up to the engine compartment. Don't go there, much simpler to go up under the front passenger seat, the forward of the two rubber plugs near the B pillar. Use a 1'4" drill to make a fairly smooth hole in that plug, and run under the mat to the harness located just under the sill protector.

The three pictures illustrate: locked, unlocked, and handle pulled positions.

photo 1.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    photo 3.jpg

14. Nov 9, 2014 at 9:36 PM
    TacomaTruckParts

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    San Gabriel
    Nice job...... Did my bracket give you the idea?

Great to see DIY'ers at work.

Jesse

15. Nov 9, 2014 at 9:57 PM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    What is this $17 piece you speak of?

16. Nov 10, 2014 at 12:15 AM
    wanna taco

wanna taco What's my name?

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4x2 Barcelona Red!
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    Coincidentally, the post just above and also just below mine, by tacomaTruckParts has that bracket. An enteprenuer with a good product deserving of a plug.

Jesse, having just taken delivery of my taco, I hadn't seen inside the tailgate until a couple days ago, but knew of the need for a bracket from a post complaining about the problem. The need designs the bracket, your bracket confirmed the design, so yes, and I thank you for that!

17. Nov 10, 2014 at 10:09 AM
    TacomaTruckParts

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    San Gabriel
  18. Nov 15, 2014 at 7:56 AM
    TNTramair

TNTramair Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR SPORT
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  19. Nov 22, 2014 at 5:01 PM
    dmlove67

dmlove67 Awesome Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    12 Prerunner S5 DBL Cab SB
    I read this thread before I got mine delivered. It took me all of 30 minutes to install. Literally didn't touch the instructions that came with it thanks to this thread. Mine also came with the black sponge material already attached; also the locking mechanism was greased. The noise that it makes when it actuates doesn't bother me at all. I just got it for piece of mind that my bed extender wouldn't get stolen. Thanks for all the instructions...piece of cake!!

20. Nov 23, 2014 at 2:02 PM
    scott96929

scott96929 IRoniK

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Phoenix, Az
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tocoma PreRunner (Ironik)
    All Pro Front Plate Bumper, MaxTrac 4" Spindles, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, BOSS Leaf Springs, Toytec Adjustable Coilovers, Fox 2.0 Rear shocks, 17" Raceline Assault Wheels, Toyo RT 285 70R17, AFE Stg II Cold Air Intake, Prinsu Cabrack, Prinsu Bedrack, 10K Kensun HID Headlights, Avec 20" Optic LED Light Bar, Avec LED Fog Lights, Heretic 30" Combo LED Light Bar, Viper Max 12000 Winch, Quick Fist, Tepui Kukeman Ruggerized RTT, Smittybilt Awning, Relentless Fab Tailgate Reinforcement, Anti-Dark Hood Lighting Kit, Fog Lights Anytime Mod, Rear Differential Breather Mod, P&L Tailgate Lock, KMFAB Rock Sliders, KMFAB Rock Light Kit, KMFAB Bed Light Kit, KMFAB RTT Light Kit, KMFAB 12 VDC Outlet Kit,Optima Dual Battery, SSCS Kit, Switch Pro 8100 Kit, Cali Raised Ditch Light Kit
    Installed my P&L today. It was easy. I ran my wiring just like the instructions said. Went to the drivers side Pillar "B" and connected the blue wire to the blue/black. The green wire to the blue/pink. No problems or switching wires around. The instructions say a blue/white wire, there is no blue/white wire on 2007 Tacoma.

To Top