Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Pop and Lock PL8521 Power Tailgate Install (2012 Tacoma)

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #141
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
The lock gets a bit quieter after used for a while. At this point, the beep associated with locking the door (activating the alarm, etc) is louder than the tailgate lock. In fact, I have to check it occasionally to make sure the tailgate actually locked. It seems to be pretty reliable, so I'll probably stop checking after a while.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:57 PM   #142
MarcO85 is on a distinguished road
Name: Marc
MarcO85's Tacoma Gallery
2013 Taco

Is it safe to assume the wiring for the passenger side door lock hasn't changed in the 2013 model?
Old 12-17-2012, 05:42 AM   #143
FORE!
parboy will become famous soon enoughparboy will become famous soon enough

Name: Brian
parboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcO85 View Post
Is it safe to assume the wiring for the passenger side door lock hasn't changed in the 2013 model?
If you follow the pics/directions in this thread you will be good to go. I installed in my '13 following this thread and everything works as it should.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #144
l tacoMAS l is a name known to alll tacoMAS l is a name known to alll tacoMAS l is a name known to alll tacoMAS l is a name known to alll tacoMAS l is a name known to alll tacoMAS l is a name known to all
l tacoMAS l's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcO85 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by parboy View Post
If you follow the pics/directions in this thread you will be good to go. I installed in my '13 following this thread and everything works as it should.

Sweeet!! My Pop-n-Lock has shipped and I just received my G4 Cover, so planning on installing both on my 2013 DCSB this weekend (I think I'll do the Lock 1st to avoid any potential lock out scenarios...). Can't wait!
Thank you to the OP and all the addtl posters to this thread!!! (esp. photos, as I'm a bit of a visual learner)
Old 01-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #145
BikPickle is on a distinguished road
Marines: SSgt
Name: Nick
BikPickle's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the awesome write-up OP. I am doing this over the weekend.

Update: Finished in about 30 min with your help. I had about 7 feet of extra wire loom. I agree with others that have posted about it being too loud. I might wrap it in some sound deadening material later on.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #146
MountainDog is just really niceMountainDog is just really niceMountainDog is just really niceMountainDog is just really niceMountainDog is just really nice

MountainDog's Tacoma Gallery
Just ordered a new fiberglass topper with keyless entry. I think I'll have to get one these installed as well to help secure the tailgate.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #147
JTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeryck
JTyfz450's Tacoma Gallery
You're welcome! Ya it is pretty loud. Keep us updated on if the sound deadening material works out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikPickle View Post
Thanks for the awesome write-up OP. I am doing this over the weekend.

Update: Finished in about 30 min with your help. I had about 7 feet of extra wire loom. I agree with others that have posted about it being too loud. I might wrap it in some sound deadening material later on.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #148
MarcO85 is on a distinguished road
Name: Marc
MarcO85's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is loud too, upon inspection of the device, it looks like the bar the slides in place to lock the gate rubs on the latch mechanism. I assume that as people were saying after it has been used a lot it probably is wearing down the metal until it does not make contact when activated.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #149
Pro skier
skiomax is on a distinguished road

Canadian Army:
skiomax's Tacoma Gallery
Mine has been instaled in November after 2 month of usage I don't hear it as much anymore.

the sound will damp down after a few weeks.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #150
nulls will become famous soon enoughnulls will become famous soon enough
nulls's Tacoma Gallery
I just used this as my guide when I did my install. The instructions that came with the actual Pop-N-Lock do not compare. I did the sponge trick and routed my wires into the backup-camera loom. Thanks for all the help!
Old 02-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #151
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up. I see Amazon has this for $84, looked at Truckalterations and it is $81 but not with a TW discount. I emailed them as it states on the TW page to contact them for an item not listed for a TW discount. We'll see what they say.

Originally I had no interest in the power version of this as I thought it would be on a switch, not thinking it would be wired into the keyless entry. I didn't want to go through the hassle of wiring but this looks pretty easy and love the idea of it working with the key fob. Plus the fact I wasn't real crazy about the look of the manual PL5300 with the pop n lock logo on it.

If Truckalterations gives me a good deal I may just pull the trigger. I'll post on here to let future buyers know.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:21 AM   #153
m32 is on a distinguished road

Name: Edwin
m32's Tacoma Gallery
Just did this mod over the weekend. Thanks for everyone's contributions! It took me 5 minutes to mount the lock and another 30-45 to run the wires cleanly (using the oem route). Looks and works great!

Edwin
Old 03-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #154
bmiranda is on a distinguished road
bmiranda's Tacoma Gallery
I am routing the wires now for my pop and lock, though I can't find any blue wires on the passenger's side bottom door jam. I have a red, red/black, and a few more. Anyone run into this?
Old 03-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #155
Rand Paul 2016
Chad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Chad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiranda View Post
I am routing the wires now for my pop and lock, though I can't find any blue wires on the passenger's side bottom door jam. I have a red, red/black, and a few more. Anyone run into this?
Mine were there. Find the wires that go into the boot that goes between the kick panel and the door. They should be in that bundle of wires. I believe they were wrapped/looped around each other but I'm not certain.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:01 AM   #156
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The wires are not in the bottom of the door jam. You have to remove the side panel just forward of the door (where the passenger's feet rest). Removed the plastic screw in the very front of that panel (search for it) and then remove the panel by pulling it (hard) straight back towards the rear of the truck. Now, towards the very front of that panel area (near the white plugs), you'll see a wire bundle with the two wires you need.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #157
JTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeryck
JTyfz450's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartx View Post
The wires are not in the bottom of the door jam. You have to remove the side panel just forward of the door (where the passenger's feet rest). Removed the plastic screw in the very front of that panel (search for it) and then remove the panel by pulling it (hard) straight back towards the rear of the truck. Now, towards the very front of that panel area (near the white plugs), you'll see a wire bundle with the two wires you need.
^This
Old 03-16-2013, 06:03 AM   #159
bmiranda is on a distinguished road
bmiranda's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys, I figured it out eventually, but much appreciate the info. I used a little marine grease for noise and a cut down tile sponge for rattles. Lock works great.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:20 AM   #160
Still a NOOB, bear with me...
ctilander is on a distinguished road
Marines: MCIWEST
Name: Carl
ctilander's Tacoma Gallery
Can a dremel be used or some kind of trimming be done to minimize the noise?
Just curious before I install mine.

Quote:
Thanks guys, I figured it out eventually, but much appreciate the info. I used a little marine grease for noise and a cut down tile sponge for rattles. Lock works great.

Products Discussed in this Thread