1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gotta love 4x4

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by zuter, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Dec 18, 2008 at 8:43 PM
    zuter

zuter [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 4 cyl
    2nd filter, undercover, debaged, bug deflector, more to follow!
    Winter has finally hit us in Cowtown (aka Calgary), -30 C (-22 F) with snowy/icy roads. Been driving over a week in this and love the 4x4. Most people are driving like little ol' ladies except for those of us with 4x4 and AWD. Sure we all slow down but I can handle the conditions far better now!

It's good to know that the temperature hasn't effected the truck too much, about the only thing I've noticed is the clutch has a tendency to stick abit (usually -25 C and below)...other than that it handles like a champ!

For anyone wondering about the new LSD in the 09's - no problem, grips the road even in these conditions. The traction control has activated twice and I wouldn't even have noticed except for the chime and flashing dash light.

This is easily the best truck for winter driving I've ever owned!

2. Dec 18, 2008 at 8:46 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    good to hear man!! as far as the clutch goes.............maybe do a drain and fill of the clutch fluid with some mobil1 mt90 synthetic.................may make it not stick at all and easier clutch engagement. just a thought anyway.:)

3. Dec 18, 2008 at 8:48 PM
    Sean

Sean Member

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    OME 3"/AAL/LR UCA's, 285/70/17 Duratracs, Avid off road light bar, PIAA 520,Stubbs Welding HD-SKO Sliders, Extang Solid fold tonneau, Dyno Lock Tailgate lock, All Weather floor mats
    Hell yeah, I just picked up a 09 double cab v6 last week and the crappy Calgary roads didn't even phase me.

4. Dec 18, 2008 at 8:49 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I just got to drive in freezing rain and snow for a few days. I was worried because I had never done that, but I had an AWD Rav4. I was watching cars slipping and sliding, in the ditches, and peeling out. I was steady on the road the entire time. I lost traction a little bit, but I had to try to do that.

5. Dec 18, 2008 at 8:57 PM
    mtm's'09toytac

mtm's'09toytac mtm

Member:
    ontario, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2009 double cab 6sp manual
    I too, live in Snowville, near North Bay, Ontario. It has been snowing since early November. This truck goes like stink through anything. I am so thrilled to have it.

6. Dec 18, 2008 at 9:08 PM
    zuter

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 4 cyl
    Gald to hear everyone's as happy as I am! ...and thanks tacomaman06 I thought about the fluid change but wasn't sure. I'll give that a try...I've just done my first oil change (engine) and went to synthetic, like the difference!

Greets to another weary Calgary road traveller, Sean!

7. Dec 18, 2008 at 10:15 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Waves. Hi. Elbow sucks this time of year. Seriously. No accidents, just everyone doing 20.

8. Dec 18, 2008 at 10:46 PM
    Okkine

Okkine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, V6, Manual Transmission, 4x4
    Good to hear. I'll be in Calgary on Sunday night, so I'm looking forward to seeing how my truck performs. We just got a big (by Vancouver standards) dump of snow last weekend, and even though mine's not a 4x4, I've been very impressed with how she's handled it. We'll see what happens in a real winter.

9. Dec 19, 2008 at 12:49 PM
    zuter

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 4 cyl
    Welcome to the COLD! Snow isn't the real problem here, actually when driving in these conditions snow can help with traction. -30 C and ice are the real headaches. Weight in the back of the truck will help alot. You and your truck should be fine!

10. Dec 19, 2008 at 1:12 PM
    Mongrel

Mongrel Member

Member:
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    I have been enjoying my first blast of a real Calgary winter in my new Taco too. Absolutely love the handling of these trucks. Just last night I had cars spinning out of control all around me as I plowed ahead straight and true. Can't wait to put some decent winter tyres on to see what is really possible. The heated leather seats aren't bad either.

11. Dec 19, 2008 at 2:36 PM
    Okkine

Okkine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, V6, Manual Transmission, 4x4
    Yep, grew up in Cow Town, so I've had plenty of experience in the ice department...:thumbsup: I'm confident the truck should do just fine. I'm having trouble finding sand bags though. There's no public sand pits like in Calgary, so I'll likely have to hit Home Deopt.

Products Discussed in

To Top