Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Do you put weight in back of your truck?

View Poll Results: Do you put weight in the bed
Yes 685 40.32%
No 344 20.25%
No need I have 4x4. 670 39.43%
Voters: 1699. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2008, 08:50 AM   #21
RoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
no weight. 4wd and no real problems. it does slide out like crazy in 2wd though.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:02 AM   #22
HardCase will become famous soon enough

Army: Medic
HardCase's Tacoma Gallery
I put tube-sand in the back of my regular cab 4wd. I am currently using two 60# bags right over the axle. It makes a difference. I may add a third bag. We got a foot of snow yesterday. It was fun running around in the Taco.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:04 AM   #23
College.
PatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt/6153 - CH-53E Airframe/Hydraulics Mechanic, HMH-464, MAG 29, 2nd MAW
Name: Pat
PatHLC128's Tacoma Gallery
never have but ill find out today if i need it, its snowing and were expecting up to 6 inches.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:29 AM   #24
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of

Demoncleaner's Tacoma Gallery
Two 60lb bags. My mat weighs 80 lbs, so 200 lbs puts my Dcab at a near 50/50 balance for best handling whether 2wd or 4wd.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:57 AM   #25
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
pretty even poll so far. I dont use weight in mine. Ive air'd down my tires though
Old 12-19-2008, 12:22 PM   #26
stratton will become famous soon enough

stratton's Tacoma Gallery
I went out this morning to get a few things. We are getting hammered here in western ny. And they are calling for more by tonight. The truck wasnt to bad but I did stop on the way home and buy 3 60lb bags of sand. I can really notice the difference. Even with four wheel on the truck wanted to spin a little. But with the weight in the back it really grabed better.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:35 PM   #27
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratton View Post
I went out this morning to get a few things. We are getting hammered here in western ny. And they are calling for more by tonight. The truck wasnt to bad but I did stop on the way home and buy 3 60lb bags of sand. I can really notice the difference. Even with four wheel on the truck wanted to spin a little. But with the weight in the back it really grabed better.
exactly! I like how my truck rides with a little weight in the back.
Plus in the slop it helps even it out like demon said.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:25 PM   #28
aaronk is on a distinguished road
aaronk's Tacoma Gallery
Two 60# tube sand bags and my Toyota bed mat in the back of mine. Not so much for traction but to stabilize the rear end a bit. Don't want to unweight the front too much. Most of the time I'm in 2WD in the snow. I use 4WD more for the added control but rarely need it to get unstuck, although there always the occasional hill/intersection that will require it.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:43 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
pretty even poll so far. I dont use weight in mine. Ive air'd down my tires though
I dont understand? I always thought that you want the tires to make contact with the road. Doesnt airing down make the tires wider and thus floating on the snow. Thats kind of why snow tires are narrow. But on the other hand if you want to stay on top of the snow or sand then you would want a wider tire. Not much traction that way. but atleast you wouldnt sink down and get stuck.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:27 PM   #30
No matter where you go there you are.
taco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Galen
taco084gb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratton View Post
I dont understand? I always thought that you want the tires to make contact with the road. Doesnt airing down make the tires wider and thus floating on the snow. Thats kind of why snow tires are narrow. But on the other hand if you want to stay on top of the snow or sand then you would want a wider tire. Not much traction that way. but atleast you wouldnt sink down and get stuck.
The idea of letting air out of your tires is to give more surface contact to the road and a softer side wall to conform to the ground. A thinner tire is to cut thru the snow down to the dirt for traction. The whole idea is not to break loose your tire when accelerating. Automatics you use the lower gears to start off slow the manuals is a little harder but to let the clutch out slowly not to spin the tires. Ice is the harder one to start off on not to slip the tires. Using 4x4 is best because its like front wheel drive cars your weight is up front so for better traction the tires grab more.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:18 PM   #31
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
When I lived in NJ, I used to throw my mother in law in the back. That added plenty of weight.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:30 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra69 View Post
I have enough weight in mine already with my cap,safari rack,Hi-Lift,fullsize spare, plus tools in the tool box.
Thats true. Those caps sometimes do weight a bit. I keep telling my wife that the best thing to put in the back for weight is a brand new polaris 700 sportsman four wheeler. But she isnt buying it.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:28 PM   #34
AK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
i work in an area that gets plenty of snow every year (today i got about 10 inches at work), and to top it all off, my jobsites are always at the end of some god forsaken logger's road. i had 150lbs of sand in the back over the axle but i had to keep using the 4x4 as the ass end kept digging into the deep snow. i tossed out the sand after the first few times and now run with nothing. its definitely better without as now my truck stays on top of the snow (my boss and coworker have to walk in to the sites or ask me for a ride since their big ass trucks keep gettin' stuck!!
Old 12-19-2008, 07:33 PM   #35
TacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to all

TacoSupreme's Tacoma Gallery
Don't need to in SW Florida.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:38 PM   #36
Pbucks is on a distinguished road
Pbucks's Tacoma Gallery
Ditto ..I just fill the back of the truck up with snow when I shovel also. When I don't need it anymore I just push it out in a parking lot somewhere.
PBucks
Old 12-19-2008, 09:55 PM   #37
bryan83taco is on a distinguished road
Army: SSG, HSC 3/7 SFG (A)
bryan83taco's Tacoma Gallery
No need for sandbags in eastern NC winters.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:24 PM   #38
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
^I don't know, man. It's been really tough down this way lately, what with all the 70 degree weather. I may just go up to the beach tomorrow and throw some sand in the back for the hell of it.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:22 AM   #39
bryan83taco is on a distinguished road
Army: SSG, HSC 3/7 SFG (A)
bryan83taco's Tacoma Gallery
Yea winters are weird down here, last year we hardly got anything but I remember 2 or 3 years ago we had a bunch of snow and icy roads. I grew up in MA so these NC winters seem like nothing to me. I got a few sandbags in the garage on standby.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:42 AM   #40
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
When I lived in NJ, I used to throw my mother in law in the back. That added plenty of weight.
Feed her a big meal first and tell her the bathroom is broken. Helps.