Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Do you put weight in back of your truck?

View Poll Results: Do you put weight in the bed
Yes 685 40.29%
No 344 20.24%
No need I have 4x4. 671 39.47%
Voters: 1700. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2013, 07:41 AM   #441
FreakShow333
Nutzo333 is on a distinguished road

Name: Cory
Nutzo333's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Nutzo333
I use bags of clumping cat litter for weight. I do have a 4x4, but the added insurance is great. If i really get stuck, i toss in some of the litter, wait for it to harden, and BAM! Amazing traction!
Old 11-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #442
Rickoutdoors is on a distinguished road

Name: Richard
Rickoutdoors's Tacoma Gallery
I put a trimmed cow bedding matt between the wheel wells then put a 3/4" x4'x4' steel plate. Doesn't move and lose no space in the box.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #443
!@$%#
robssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
robssol's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickoutdoors View Post
I put a trimmed cow bedding matt between the wheel wells then put a 3/4" x4'x4' steel plate. Doesn't move and lose no space in the box.
500#, wow! Must be a bear getting in and out?!?
Old 12-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #444
godzookie is on a distinguished road
godzookie's Tacoma Gallery
Go to the beach, shovel sand into the bed until your contempt with your fungsui sand garden. As you drive you will disperse some sand on the road for the person behind you that has no traction :P and if someone gets stuck, you've got plenty of sand to share. When you run out of sand, just repeat.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #445
Hartford has a spectacular aura aboutHartford has a spectacular aura about
Hartford's Tacoma Gallery
If there is nothing in the bed I will fill it with snow. Even with 4x4 it helps to have the extra weight over the back end.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #446
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by robssol View Post
500#, wow! Must be a bear getting in and out?!?
* 490.08 if it's carbon plate.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #447
RC Maples is on a distinguished road

Name: Bob
RC Maples's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Pre-Runner so no 4WD ... and I have 4 70# tubes of sand in the back. I have it situated just forward of the rear axle, that way the extra weight is almost directly above axle but it doesn't change the center of gravity on the truck that much. I don't "know", but it seems that having it all the way in the back would change the center of gravity on the truck and also remove some of the down pressure on the steering tires in front. Like I said, I don't know ...
Old 12-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #448
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flatblack's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, I have a 4wd
But no, I am not clairvoyant: Ever hit a patch of black ice on an otherwise perfectly dry road in 2wd?
I've also had my back end walk 45 degrees on me hitting ice going 20mph max in 4wd...
I've never had that happen with weight in the back (sure, I've fishtailed a bit; but, I haven't had it throw me anywhere near 45 degrees)

Old 12-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #449
AKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to behold

Name: RETODD
AKTACO420's Tacoma Gallery
My camper shell seems to help a lot and soon I should have a high clearance bumper that will add some weight also. I prefer to keep my bed free of stuff so I can load it with fire wood
Old 12-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #450
oldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: ex-Navy, ex-ARNG, Yokosuka, Sandog, and Louisiana
Name: Jonathan
oldswab's Tacoma Gallery
I used to put two 80lb tubes of sand on either side of my ex's trunk and over the wheels of the Taco.

Good for stability and for emergency egress.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #451
Gear Jammer
Brodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brodie's Tacoma Gallery
No weight in the bed of my truck. Truck does great in the snow without it.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #452
oldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
oldracer's Tacoma Gallery
Weight in a Pick-up bed

If you put weight in a pick-up bed; please try to secure it to the truck.

I have witnessed accidents; where the stuff in a bed of a truck tried to and in some cases; made it's way to the passenger compartment.

The force generated in ahead-on collision, with another vehicle,; is tremendous.

Even accidents, where the vehicle hit and tree, and didn't move it, can be deadly.

Use common sense; don't throw an engine block or something like that, in the bed and go with that.

Better to just secure it down, somehow.

Saw a table, probably 8 foot long, that was in a van. It came through the cage behind the driver's seat, through the seat and decapitated the driver. Yes, it had a safety cage. But, the driver hit a bridge, going pretty fast, he didn't live to tell the speed.

There is not much metal between your and the bed of the truck.

oldracer
Old 12-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #453
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldracer View Post

I have witnessed accidents; where the stuff in a bed of a truck tried to and in some cases; made it's way to the passenger compartment.

The force generated in ahead-on collision, with another vehicle,; is tremendous.

Even accidents, where the vehicle hit and tree, and didn't move it, can be deadly.

Use common sense; don't throw an engine block or something like that, in the bed and go with that.

Saw a table, probably 8 foot long, that was in a van. It came through the cage behind the driver's seat, through the seat and decapitated the driver. Yes, it had a safety cage. But, the driver hit a bridge, going pretty fast, he didn't live to tell the speed.

oldracer
Lots of guys here drive around with firewood in the back and I've seen that in the cab twice now after they stray into the cabbage
Old 12-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #454
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldracer View Post

oldracer
Like the 3/4" steel plate sitting on a rubber mat in post #442? In a frontal hit at highway speeds, I bet it wouldn't stop until after it hit the engine.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #455
AKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to behold

Name: RETODD
AKTACO420's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Lots of guys here drive around with firewood in the back and I've seen that in the cab twice now after they stray into the cabbage
This is how my truck is im sure my canopy won't help much
Old 12-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #456
steeds is on a distinguished road

Name: ryan
steeds's Tacoma Gallery
fuck that. my milage would be shittier then it already is.haha
learn how to drive and you wont need weight :P
Old 12-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #457
Biodegradable is on a distinguished road
Biodegradable's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunavut View Post
Try living near Winnipeg. In winter it goes down to -40c and in sumer it hits +40c
Oh come on, the weather keeps the riff raff out ... see that country below us zactly!!! J/k I kid. They say it's one of the few places in the world to have a winter/summer temp swing that great.

It's relatively affordable and the people are decent hence our plate - Friendly Manitoba. Plus great fishing and cleaner air.

I don't put weight in the back but I have Nokian R SUV winter tires and 4x4, I'm under the impression that the more weight you put in bed adds to the weight you have to stop and on ice that can be a bad thing - weight would generally help with take off's on ice/etc and I don't discount that but it's the added weight to stop. It's a trade off I'd like an engineer to advise us about
Old 12-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #458
Mattitude is on a distinguished road

Army: Combat Medic - there all the time for the one time we're needed
Mattitude's Tacoma Gallery
I'm new so this is my first snow slash ice laden roads in my truck. If I'm in 4x4 I don't seem to have any issues with the bed being even with the cab but when I slide around with out the 4x4 engaged I make sure I'm in a big parking lot with nothing to slide into, man is it fun though.

So if I throw some bags of sand or top soil in the bed does that mean I won't need the 4x4 ??? At all??? As much???

I did add a topper but I haven't noticed much of a difference.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #459
ttaM will become famous soon enoughttaM will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
ttaM's Tacoma Gallery
I've got 240 pounds of sand over my rear axle right now.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #460
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
I don't, but I should. 4WD goes on the instant I hit even slush, so its not bad.