Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Do you put weight in back of your truck?

View Poll Results: Do you put weight in the bed
Yes 685 40.32%
No 344 20.25%
No need I have 4x4. 670 39.43%
Voters: 1699. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2008, 06:54 AM   #41
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
I put weight in the bed, but only when I am going to be dealing with snow/ice. I will have ~45lbs of tools and 150lbs of sand bags in my bed for the trip out to Kentucky.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:31 AM   #42
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
OK, so I bought 3 50# bags of rock salt today at Lowes. I wanted to verify placement in the bed. From what I understand, it needs to be above the axle. So in my short bed DC, they should *almost* be at the front of the bed, correct?

I think the truck rides better with the weight back there. (maybe i'm crazy)
Old 12-20-2008, 11:47 AM   #43
stratton will become famous soon enough

stratton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
ok we have a composite bed but just a bit of caution

i lived in denver and had a new 74 toyota and had rock salt in the bed ( 4 each 50 pound bags. i got it at a grocery store as nowhere near a place i could get sand !

two years later the tailgate fell off the truck from rusted hinges !!!!!!

rock salt+moisture=very bad rust

and yep over the rear axle
Yeah salt is a killer on cars and trucks here in ny. They use a crap load of it on the roads to the point that the roads are white once the melted snow evaporates.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:47 AM   #44
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
ok we have a composite bed but just a bit of caution

i lived in denver and had a new 74 toyota and had rock salt in the bed ( 4 each 50 pound bags. i got it at a grocery store as nowhere near a place i could get sand !

two years later the tailgate fell off the truck from rusted hinges !!!!!!

rock salt+moisture=very bad rust

and yep over the rear axle
thanks for the heads up -- I've got a tonneau cover, so hopefully most moisture stays out. I plan on bagging the bags of salt for extra protection.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:48 AM   #45
stratton will become famous soon enough

stratton's Tacoma Gallery
Oh and plus if you ever do get stuck on ice you can open the bags of salt or sand and use it for traction.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:49 AM   #46
Mayor of TW

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratton View Post
Oh and plus if you ever do get stuck on ice you can open the bags of salt or sand and use it for traction.
ya that's what I was thinking... plus I was standing next to the salt at Lowes and the Sand was on the other side of the store... my laziness made the decision for me... lol
Old 12-20-2008, 03:23 PM   #47
Mayor of TW

Quote:
i had a camper shell on my truck
the bags are not air tight

so if you are going to do it i would strongly suggest you rebag or do something more than just that bag for protection !!!
thanks!
Old 12-20-2008, 04:34 PM   #48
shootermcgavinyo is on a distinguished road
shootermcgavinyo's Tacoma Gallery
I put 5 60# bags of tube sand in the back after the first snow here, it definitely made a difference.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:37 PM   #49
Wrath of the runbird
Bakemono is on a distinguished road

Bakemono's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Bakemono
I dont put weight in the back because I have a 4x4. If the roads and snowy/icy, I click it into 4x4 and Im good to go. If I had a 4x2 Id definetly be putting weight in the back though.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:52 PM   #50
211Mike is on a distinguished road
Army: Cpl Radio Operator
211Mike's Tacoma Gallery
I have 2 40 kg bags of salt sitting over the rear axle.

I built a box today using pressure treated wood and used cargo straps to hold it in place. The box is nice because it keeps stuff that I put in there from sliding to the front of the trukck box.

Even with 4x4 having the weight over the rear axle is nice and I have found it does make a difference.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:44 PM   #51
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Nothing in the bed except snow. If the weather is bad I'll just put it in 4x4.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:38 AM   #52
Blue Hooligan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue Hooligan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue Hooligan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue Hooligan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue Hooligan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue Hooligan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue Hooligan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue Hooligan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue Hooligan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue Hooligan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue Hooligan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Blue Hooligan's Tacoma Gallery
I knew I'd have issues in the winter without a 4 X 4 here in Manitoba, but it's not too bad.
I tried driving after the first snow fall when the roads were pretty much pure ice. Not as bad as I thought, but there was one stop sign at the bottom of a hill where I took awhile to make it up. Good thing there's not many hills around here!
I'm pretty cheap so I don't want to put too much weight in and compromise fuel economy, so I have about 100 lbs. over the rear axel right now. It should probably be more, but I'm getting around just fine. Just have to be careful out there, especially while starting from a stand-still when there's other vehicles coming towards me.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:38 AM   #53
sjt is on a distinguished road
sjt's Tacoma Gallery
Seems to me you'd want the bags as far back in the bed as possible to have the greatest effect. I have 4 bags of tube sand and it seems to work better then none at all.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:06 PM   #54
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjt View Post
Seems to me you'd want the bags as far back in the bed as possible to have the greatest effect. I have 4 bags of tube sand and it seems to work better then none at all.
That can be detrimental for two reasons:

1) Since the weight is at the rear of the vehicle, you end up with a pendulum effect on the horizontal plane in a turn with the brakes applied on ice, gravel, oil, or any other wet or loose surface. It is the same feeling as if you were holding down the throttle through a turn and start doing donuts, but your wheels are still trying to slow down without traction. This can cause the rear end to violently swing around.

2) You can have the same effect on the vertical plane, but it isn't necessarily exclusive to winter driving or low traction situations. If all the weight is in the rear of the bed, the frame begins to act as a spring board (think of a diving board). Every bump you hit causes a bouncing effect that isn't controlled by the suspension but rather by the frame itself.

Any payload in a vehicle should have the weight distributed evenly over the axle(s) to maximize handling, ride stability, and control. The first thing you need for traction (even before weight in the bed) is a good set of tires that match the conditions that you will be driving your truck in.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:47 PM   #55
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
After seeing this thread, I will definitely be throwing some sandbags in the bed when I make trips up to the mountains in the winter time.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:03 PM   #56
Tacoma02TRD is a jewel in the roughTacoma02TRD is a jewel in the roughTacoma02TRD is a jewel in the rough

Tacoma02TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I leave my truck in 4 wheel drive and play it smart, no sand or weight.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:47 AM   #57
sjt is on a distinguished road
sjt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
That can be detrimental for two reasons:
How does the truck distinguish a heavy weight in the bed and over the rear axle from a lighter weight further back that creates a similar moment?
Old 12-23-2008, 08:52 AM   #58
BioMed80 has a brilliant futureBioMed80 has a brilliant futureBioMed80 has a brilliant futureBioMed80 has a brilliant futureBioMed80 has a brilliant futureBioMed80 has a brilliant futureBioMed80 has a brilliant futureBioMed80 has a brilliant futureBioMed80 has a brilliant futureBioMed80 has a brilliant futureBioMed80 has a brilliant future
BioMed80's Tacoma Gallery
4 bags @ 60lbs a piece. It helps, but there's no substitution for smart driving.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:11 AM   #59
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
We don't have snow down here and rarely have any appreciable ice, but we get our share of rain. I started keeping about 8 concrete blocks in the bed and I like the way she drives now much better. I am much less likely to start hydroplaning in a heavy rain now.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:05 AM   #60
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjt View Post
How does the truck distinguish a heavy weight in the bed and over the rear axle from a lighter weight further back that creates a similar moment?
When driving straight forward on even ground, it does not make a big enough difference where the weight is placed. In many cases, as long as there is sufficient weight in the bed it will provide sufficient downward force on the tires to assist in traction.

However, the two situations that I described are different from driving straight down a smooth road. Situation #1 can happen in a turn (horizontal change in direction). Situation #2 can happen when going down a bumpy road (vertical change in direction). In either case, if the weight is too far to rear, that weight "swings" (situation #1) or "bounces" (situation #2) causing unsafe driving conditions.

The reason you put the weight over the axle instead of all the way forward: it distributes the weight evenly on the bed, the frame, and the suspension. This causes the downward force to be over the tires where the traction is needed.