Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Do you put weight in back of your truck?

View Poll Results: Do you put weight in the bed
Yes 685 40.32%
No 344 20.25%
No need I have 4x4. 670 39.43%
Voters: 1699. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2008, 05:47 AM   #1
I am the Sofa King
harshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shed

harshest's Tacoma Gallery
Do you put weight in back of your truck?

Well we are really getting pounded with snow here in Michigan and I was just wondering if any of you guys put weight in the back of your truck? The first few snow falls here I didn't have anything and the ass end was all over the place, so I added about 8 concrete blacks to the bed and she now handles like a champ even with these crap tires.

So what does every one else do?
Old 12-19-2008, 06:08 AM   #3
kaszeta is on a distinguished road
kaszeta's Tacoma Gallery
I don't, but I probably should, since right now I need to put it in 4x4 to get up my driveway unless I'm hauling something.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:11 AM   #4
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
up in new hampshire i just let the back of the truck fill with snow. plenty heavy.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:11 AM   #5
ban the term murdered out
OU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gas Turbine Elec
Name: danusa
OU812's Tacoma Gallery
I put three 70lb sandbags in the back. I made a crossbar out of some extra wood to keep them from flying forward under braking. I'll post a pic tomorrow. Took about half and hour to glue/screw togehter.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:17 AM   #6
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
I don't as winters on the shore are pretty mild. We're heading to PA for the holidays, so I need to stop and get some sand this weekend before I venture up there.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:18 AM   #7
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Yes the tube type sandbags over the axle under the tonneau. No slipping with bed mat & can use if needed in a pinch. I like the waterproof bagged quickcrete ones.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:25 AM   #8
nomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nomad's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody ever seen the weight distribution ratios for our trucks?
Old 12-19-2008, 06:27 AM   #9
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
I put three 70lb sandbags in the back. I made a crossbar out of some extra wood to keep them from flying forward under braking. I'll post a pic tomorrow. Took about half and hour to glue/screw togehter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xedge View Post
Yes the tube type sandbags over the axle under the tonneau. No slipping with bed mat & can use if needed in a pinch. I like the waterproof bagged quickcrete ones.

This is what I have done in the past. The ass end of these trucks are extremely light making it hard to get traction in snow and ice. Plus with the tube sand, if you were to get stuck you can bust one open and use the sand to regain traction.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:37 AM   #10
jrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Aircraft Maintenance
Name: John
jrw1965's Tacoma Gallery
I find if I just slow down and put it in 4WD, I get through everything just fine
Old 12-19-2008, 07:25 AM   #11
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
hold on just a second...

what is this snow stuff you speak of? is it like mud?
Old 12-19-2008, 07:25 AM   #12
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Nope, and we just got 8 inches of snow. Didn't even need 4wd today on the way to work. Just drive smart.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:39 AM   #13
Tacoma Newbie
moserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud of
moserjjx's Tacoma Gallery
i always put sand bags in the back of my truck, i have 3 70lb bags in there now. i don't do it for traction starting from a stop but rather to avoid the rear end kicking out on me as a i travel down slippery roads. it does seem to help quite a bit and it's really cheap to do so you really can't go wrong
Old 12-19-2008, 07:48 AM   #14
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a topper, and put (2) 60lb bags of the tube sand in the back. I'm probably going to get a third. It's been snowing here for a week straight now, so the roads have quite a bit of snow and ice buildup that they haven't been able to clear. You can certainly get around if you drive smart without the sand bags, but it's nice to be able to accelerate a little quicker when you need it.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:59 AM   #15
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerNameIsLucy View Post
up in new hampshire i just let the back of the truck fill with snow. plenty heavy.
^^This. If you're outside shoveling the driveway anyway, just throw the snow into the bed instead of off to the side. When the roads clear your bed will empty on its own.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:12 AM   #16
106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about

106Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
working great today, truck does not fish tail at all in 4x4.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:15 AM   #17
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
i figure on ice you are gonna slide either way and i never needed it in snow.... so no sand here!
Old 12-19-2008, 08:28 AM   #18
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
Living in Florida we don't need no stinkin' weight!

Ya'll can just keep all that ice and snow and sleet and slush.

We prefer lows of 60 and highs of 78 thorugh the winter.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:32 AM   #19
No matter where you go there you are.
taco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Galen
taco084gb's Tacoma Gallery
The sand Bags are a great idea a lot of people around here are from farming so straw bales are seen alot. Alos letting some of the air out in your tires is good too. Just check to see what the minimum air pressure is. With the cold weather your tire will be lower in psi but if the afternoon warms up the tire will have more air pressure.
But here in sunny Cali we like to just fill up our trucks with bikin babes in the back. HAHA
PS. Its not sunny here in this part of NORCAL, rain
Old 12-19-2008, 08:47 AM   #20
zuter will become famous soon enough
zuter's Tacoma Gallery
I've always added sandbags in the bed...that was until I got my 4x4. Now I just put 'er in 4x4 and go! No problems and we have had several inches of snow and record cold temps (-24 F) here in the last couple of weeks!

I did install a Undercover in the fall...50 - 55 lbs max, I guess that has helped some too!