Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

steering wheel shaking!!!!

Old 12-19-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
ozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really nice

ozmon420's Tacoma Gallery
steering wheel shaking!!!!

just put on my new wheels 285/60-18's and now my steering wheel shakes a bit what can it be?
Old 12-19-2008, 09:12 AM   #2
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe your tires were not balanced right? I would go back and have them rebalanced.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:18 AM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^+1.............get them rebalanced, and make sure they torque the wheels to the correct specs, maybe 85ft.lbs., tell them dont tighten the crap outta them with an impact gun.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:19 AM   #4
Ultimate Member
SLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to behold

SLOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsupl View Post
Maybe your tires were not balanced right? I would go back and have them rebalanced.
+1

definitely check the balance, and do it soon before it wears on something.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:41 AM   #5
Hardcore wheeler, try and keep up.... if you can.
SnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud of

SnoBoarder's Tacoma Gallery
3 Words: Road Force Balance

Step 1:
Use this Tool to locate a Hunter 9700 in your area:
http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm

Step 2:
Make calls and find a local shop. Confirm they have the Lug Centric Adaptor.

Step 3:
Make an appointment. It is the best balance to be had, worth every cent.

Step 4:
Make sure your alignment is as close to spec as possible assuming you lifted your truck to fit 285's.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:12 PM   #6
ozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really nice

ozmon420's Tacoma Gallery
havent lifted the truck yet should be getting coilovers next week . took it on the highway dove about fifty miles at 70mph and it was fine , but when i drive locally it shakes not bad but enough to bother me. will i damage anything if i continue to drive for at least another week?
Old 12-19-2008, 02:15 PM   #7
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoBoarder View Post
3 Words: Road Force Balance

Step 1:
Use this Tool to locate a Hunter 9700 in your area:
http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm

Step 2:
Make calls and find a local shop. Confirm they have the Lug Centric Adaptor.

Step 3:
Make an appointment. It is the best balance to be had, worth every cent.

Step 4:
Make sure your alignment is as close to spec as possible assuming you lifted your truck to fit 285's.
X2!

New off the lot mine was rebalanced twice and didn't help. The dealer finally did the road force balance and found 3 bad tires!
Old 12-19-2008, 08:19 PM   #8
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Hey just to confirm, you said wheels when Im sure you meant tires only because you mentioned a size. Besides balancing, if you did get wheels, then maybe they're "Out of Round" or even the tires for that matter. More than likely, Balancing. You should notice it more when you brake. At least that has been my experience. Hope this helps. Later.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:08 AM   #9
Hardcore wheeler, try and keep up.... if you can.
SnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud of

SnoBoarder's Tacoma Gallery
^Good point. The cool thing about the 9700 is that it can detect high and low spots on the wheels and tires and instruct the technician to break the bead and rotate the tires a specific amount on the wheel to counteract various imperfections in both, allowing the best possible balance.