1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Taillight Assembly

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jobani, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Apr 18, 2012 at 6:16 PM
    Jobani

Jobani [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma Basic
    Hi,

My name is Jobani. And I currently own, well my dad does, a 2010 Toyota Tacoma Basic 4V. And just today I backed up and broke the taillight assembly (the plastic cover, either way have to replace all of it, right?) on the driver's side. And I was wondering if ya'll could recommend a good place to buy a replacement or should I just go straight to a Toyota dealer and have them fix it instead. And if a do-it-myself is best, may I please get some help in how to take off the broken one and putting in the new one. Thank You.
    If you guys want pictures I would gladly put them on here...the mighty work of a twenty-year old lol! :/ :)

2. Apr 18, 2012 at 9:53 PM
    Hoodat

Hoodat Member

Member:
    North Idaho, USA
    Vehicle:
    06 Base + mods
    Cruise control, interval wipers, DTRL, alarm system, locking bed cubbys, disable TPMS light
    Hello Jobani,
    I had to replace one on my '06 a year ago. I learned: 1) the dealer (=genuine Toyota) is the most expensive. 2) there are multiple levels of quality and an industry rating system. I can't remember now where I found this information. 3) avoid the very least expensive ones you can find with a Google search. When I looked, they were ~$60 (US). A cheap one I got for a Nissan didn't fit quite right and lasted only a few years. I can't find the invoice for the one I bought for the Tacoma; it was ~$80 (US) a year and a half ago. It fits and looks just like the original factory tail light. It was in the middle of the aforementioned rating system.
    Assuming your '10 is the same as my '06, lower the tailgate, remove a couple of bolts, and yank the tail light assembly straight back. <--this from memory. I don't wanna go outside in the dark and the rain to verify the procedure :cool:
    HTH. Good luck.
    Hoodat

'Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.'

3. Apr 18, 2012 at 9:59 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    You might want to try searching on TW for just the drivers side cause there are sales like that every once in a while on here. Its easy to take off, drop tailgate and there is a few 10mm bolts I believe and once you have them all off, you might need to put some muscle into it but pull them straight back towards you and they should pop off.

4. Apr 19, 2012 at 7:28 AM
    tacowithbeans

tacowithbeans Member

Member:
    First Name:
    michael
    troup, tx
    Vehicle:
    o7 prerunner lifted 6" by fabtech
    6" suspension lift, custom drive shaft, lime green underbody and airbrushed dash piece
    call keystone automotive in tyler, tx (903) 592-7455 ive had to replace mine twice this is the only place i could find one under 100 bucks

5. Apr 19, 2012 at 8:24 AM
    Jobani

Jobani [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma Basic
    Ah, okay! Well thanks guys I appreciate the help.
    Guess I'll ask to see if someone is selling on here, if not Amazon and Ebay sound pretty good!

Thank You Tacowithbeans, I'll make sure I give them a call! It'll be a lot better than buying one online.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top