1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Entune Radio Swap 2012

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Stevenson, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Apr 19, 2012 at 4:45 PM
    Stevenson

Stevenson [OP] Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    3" Lift. TRD Exhaust. Full aftermarket stereo. Viper 5902 Alarm/Starter. KMC XD Revolvers. Tri-Fold Tonneau. Bed Mat. Bed Divider. WeatherTech Liners. Tinted windows.
    I live in Canada, so I know some of the features will not work without some software "adjustments". That is fine, I have Pandora working on my iphone already.

Question is, has anybody swapped out the factory deck for the upgraded Entune headunit? Or does anyone know if the harnesses are the same. i.e. Would a simple swap be as easy as plug and play?

I'm thinking the obvious answer is no, but I remember so models coming prewired for fog lights, backup camera, etc. Figured its worth a shot.

Thanks

2. Apr 19, 2012 at 5:07 PM
    Stevenson

Stevenson [OP] Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    3" Lift. TRD Exhaust. Full aftermarket stereo. Viper 5902 Alarm/Starter. KMC XD Revolvers. Tri-Fold Tonneau. Bed Mat. Bed Divider. WeatherTech Liners. Tinted windows.
    I don't think my dealer will be able to get in since it is a U.S. only option.

I saw a couple owners who purchased the truck with the entune system and replaced it with an aftermarket headunit. I was thinking I might start to see some come up for sale from people doing this.

I have been through many aftermarket headunits in my time and I'm trying to stay factory this time around, just personal reasons.

I have replaced the rest of the entire system already, just looking to stay factory at the headunit.

3. Jul 26, 2012 at 5:33 AM
    muddymedic

muddymedic Tacoma FireMedic

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Double Cab Off Road Mica Gray
    3" Lift Front and Rear Hood Gas Strut (Red Line) BFG All Terrain T/A KOLT285/75/16 Kicker Component Speaker System Dynamat Throughout
    Man I was an idiot! I should have gotten the entune with the new truck! Has ANYONE seen one for sale anywhere?
    Davidnmnhorne@gmail.com

4. Jul 30, 2012 at 8:16 AM
    wolfgang

wolfgang Active Member

Member:
    south USA
    Vehicle:
    12 4 door prerunner
    Air Intake system
    Don't bother, I have the Entune system in my 2012 and it ain't all that!!!! Go aftermarket!!!

5. Jul 30, 2012 at 8:32 AM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    2012 FJ Cruiser Maggiolina Medium Grand Tour w/winter hood National Luna dual battery split charging system ABR Sidewinder Aux battery tray ARB 50qt Fridge w/Transit Bag Bajarack flat rack w/ladder Crawlarado flat black hood blackout TRD exhaust Trasharoo Outback FJ roof console
    I was told you could not swap Entune into a vehicle that didn't come that way from the factory. I just bought a new truck with Entune and it's pretty nice and a hell of a lot better than my 09 non JBL.

6. Oct 23, 2012 at 6:04 PM
    MudFlap

MudFlap Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Memphis (north mississippi)
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    I want ENTUNE, I have the "mid range" HU with XM and steering controls. . . would this be a direct plug and play swap in my 2012?

7. Oct 23, 2012 at 7:18 PM
    Molon Labe

Molon Labe Never LBS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Snellville
    Vehicle:
    2012 Spruce Mica DC TRD 4x4 Auto V6
    see my build
    I called around when I got my 2012 to see if I could have it added and was told that no it can not be added to a non-entune 2012 truck. I do not know if its a wire harness issue but I was willing to buy one from the dealer and they told me it would not work.

8. Aug 9, 2017 at 9:39 AM
    Y3ll0wJ4ck3t

Y3ll0wJ4ck3t Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    '12 Base 4wd 5pd 2.7
    3in Procomp Lift, 34in swampers, Stickers.
    is the entune the only other option other than the base radio head unit? i dont want to go aftermarket, i wanted to see if there are any other factory big screen displays or anything like that.

9. Aug 9, 2017 at 9:46 AM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    Entune for 2012 sucked. If you upgrade the Entune you will require the JBL amplifier in order to get the full functionality of it. Personally speaking from experience both the amp and the head unit were garbage. The speakers were made of what seemed like cheap paper also.

Priced way over what it was really worth.

Go aftermarket. The jump in quality is ten fold. It speaks volumes for itself. (No pun intended) I noticed a DRAMATIC difference when I made the switch.

10. Aug 9, 2017 at 10:43 AM
    3pooches

3pooches Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    VA & WV
    Vehicle:
    15 tacoma dcsb Sc Linked, 2014 reg cab locked
    /\ this

I have entune and it is the worst functioning unit I have ever had.

12TRDTacoma[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top