1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do you check your oil?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AnotherSilverTaco, Apr 21, 2012.

?

Do you check your oil?

1. Yes, every fill-up because...

62 vote(s)
    12.6%
  2. Yes, sometimes because...

259 vote(s)
    52.5%
  3. No, because...

93 vote(s)
    18.9%
  4. No, but I should because...

73 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. Other because...

6 vote(s)
    1.2%
  1. Apr 21, 2012 at 2:35 PM
    AnotherSilverTaco

AnotherSilverTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab 4x4
    CBI trailrider rear bumper, CBI Front Receiver, Warn M8000 Receiver Winch in Warn Multi-mount cradle
    The fact is I have never needed to check it in 6 years and 88k miles. I am sure, I will need to eventually. Do any of you regular oil checkers seem to be burning much?

It just seems like with newer engines and especially newer oils it isn't as critical.

I know oil and engines have come a long way, since I was in high school.

Any high mileage people willing to share their oil consumption?

2. Apr 21, 2012 at 2:53 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    After break in, I switched to amsoil. After 86k it uses less than a quart 5k.

3. Apr 21, 2012 at 2:53 PM
    gusher

gusher SUPERCHARGED!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Hudson NH
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 long bed, TRD Sport
    '08 Indigo Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4 Long Bed, Grillcraft grill, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT head unit, XM receiver, Boyo backup camera, Custom devil horns Toyota logo, Black headlight mod, Fog lights on anytime mod, Maglight mount, Weathertech floor liners, Debadged, Trex color-matched eyelids, Access tonneau cover, Toyota bed divider, Sno-way 7'4" snow plow, Auxiliary backup lights, Rear spring TSB, Removed front mud flaps, 2.5" Hell Bent Steel front lift, 285/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Satin black MB TKO wheels, Black Go Rhino Dominator II nerf steps, custom HomeLink install, CompuStar remote starter, Redline Tuning QuickLift Elite hood struts, Toyota bed mat, Custom short Taco antenna, TRD cold air intake, TRD exhaust, TRD supercharger
    I check mine every other fill-up. I like to check it and say hi to my blower! :D

4. Apr 21, 2012 at 3:17 PM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    When I was 14 I was driving an old worn-out Chevy with a 396 V8 in it to and from my farm job. I had to check the oil every day because it used about a quart every fifty mile round trip; even sitting it used oil as the seals were shot.

Flash forward to my Toyota pickups, which hardly used oil at all. Even my '87 Toyota pickup at 17 years of age and over 220,000 miles used less than a half quart between oil changes.

I check the oil in my current Tacoma after I change it to make sure that it's full and then just every once in a while, more for something to do while waiting for the tank to fill than out of any real need. My Taco is six years old this summer and doesn't use enough oil between changes to tell for sure whether or not it's actually gone down on the dipstick.

However, I don't do any extreme or constant off-roading anymore either; I just use my truck's off-road capabilities when they are needed (usually mud and snow season). If you have an engine that you suspect might have a mechanical problem or if you operate the vehicle in deep water then by all means check the oil often. In the military we usually had to change the oil in the gamma goats every time they swam a river.

5. Apr 21, 2012 at 3:44 PM
    YotaMark

YotaMark Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Mentor, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4 cyl 5 speed 4X4
    Rear Gate security Mod (although I seldom take my eyes off it) "Harsh Ride" Shocks and Springs TSB performed by "Me" New Cooper Discoverer AT3s 265/75R16s (fit well) Front "Tacoma Mike" light mod! Rugged Ridge floor mats. Bought another set of D rings and installed them in my wheel well. Perfect! Just hit the big 6000 Miles 12/19/11, Installed an alarm system to go with my factory power door locks 1/21/12
    my 2008 has just over 8000 miles, I just changed it a couple weeks ago,,

6. Apr 21, 2012 at 3:44 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I used to work at NAPA. One day a customer came in and bought a quart of oil. Five minutes later he came back and bought a second quart of oil. Ten minutes later, a third.

I was thinking "hmmmm, adding oil in the parking lot?) Then he comes back inside and buys a case of oil. I am not one to ask questions about others' business, so I say nothing.

Maybe 15-20 minutes later, the same guy comes in and asks me how many quarts of oil a 74? Ford Galaxy will hold. I say "I dunno, five or six quarts maybe."

He asked me to go outside and look at his oil level. I was curious, so I went. He takes off the oil filler cap and tells me he's put 15 quarts in his engine and the oil still isn't to the top of the "oil reservoir":eek:

I showed him how to use an oil dipstick.:D

7. Apr 21, 2012 at 3:51 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    WTF what was he filling lol?? Coolant tank?

8. Apr 21, 2012 at 3:51 PM
    AnotherSilverTaco

AnotherSilverTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab 4x4
    CBI trailrider rear bumper, CBI Front Receiver, Warn M8000 Receiver Winch in Warn Multi-mount cradle
    Did you tell him he WAS a dipstick?:eek:

9. Apr 21, 2012 at 3:58 PM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    He was filling the engine oil. He thought that the oil level would be correct when it reached the bottom of the hole in the valve cover where he had removed the oil cap.:D

10. Apr 21, 2012 at 3:58 PM
    Mikk

Mikk Active Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Reg. Cab, Auto, 4x4
    K&N CAI, Magnaflow muffler, Xenon (non-HID) high/low, Reese aftermarket reciever/plug n play 4 pin, "Taco" badge, 4x4 mud flaps and no further markings Bilstein 5100's at all 4 corners - struts set at 2 inches taller, rear stock height. Magnaflow Exhaust, K&N intake, Husky box carpeted w/LED lights - secured by pros, mounts for AR15.
    Mine is a 2011, so I did check every fill up til I was sure it burns nothing, now I check every few tanks. Or if leaving town because who the hell sells 0w 20??

11. Apr 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    I am too polite sometimes.:)

12. Apr 21, 2012 at 4:11 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    I think some of these oil change minders are a mixed blessing. My Tacoma goes off at 5,000 miles which is fine since I use syn. My wife's Honda was at 8,000 and minder said it had 70% to go. Maybe some one better in math then I am can tell me when it would say to change the oil - 20,000 ? I also wonder if it is just a scheme to make you buy an new car when the motor goes because of extended OCI ?

13. Apr 21, 2012 at 4:17 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Wife's '04 Rav4 runs about a quart every 5-6000. She has 120k on it.

14. Apr 21, 2012 at 4:26 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Different minders operate differently.

Toyota's is stupid. It is simply a reminder clock that goes off every 5000 miles. There is no intelligence behind it. Same for the one in my '07 Explorer.
    The GM (and perhaps Honda?) monitor engine RPM, load, temperature, and other parameters to give a good estimate of oil life.
    This estimate is based on using the factory recommended oil and weight, so if you are running synthetic in an engine where the factory does not require it, you're doing even better and are more than safe following the oil minder.

My '06 Duramax would indicate that a change was needed anywhere from 8k to 13k depending on conditions. There has been a lot of debate and analysis of the GM OLI and the general opinion backed up by used oil analysis is that you can trust the automated systems... they are ALWAYS going to err on the conservative side. No manufacturer wants to pay for repairs, or be trashed on the net, because someone had a problem following the OLI.

Did her minder say there was 70% to go, or 70% used? I've seen them both ways. I think the one in my Explorer (even though it was just a "clock") indicated "used", so at oil change time it said 99%.
    I think the Duramax showed remaining.

15. Apr 21, 2012 at 5:03 PM
    ae111black

ae111black Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kimo
    Hilo Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport
    plenty
    Nope Mine's an 10' and it does not leak so whats the point?

16. Apr 21, 2012 at 5:05 PM
    elmo7

elmo7 Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4
    Wow! And you guys calling me a troll?! LOL! (I thought only my wife called me that.) Just keeping the mood light. Never thought someone would actually do something like that. Takes all kinds I guess. Noobs are everywhere.

I check my oil at rather irregular intervals. I always check it before I change it and after I refill. My 74 Nova would suck down some oil. The Taco doesn't so much, so I don't worry about it much.

17. Apr 21, 2012 at 5:12 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Don't check it as often as I should :anonymous:

But always before heading on a road trip. And once a day while traveling

18. Apr 21, 2012 at 5:27 PM
    tlh178

tlh178 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    terry
    lake huron/sag bay
    Vehicle:
    2012 4WD reg cab/ 02 SR5 Prerunner/07 FJC 4WD
    this is my 4th new toyota, i have never check my oil. the key is oil changes. make sure you do that every 5k and you should be good.

19. Apr 21, 2012 at 5:53 PM
    Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    09 Pre-Runner
    Once a week: oil, tires, fluids, lights on all three vehicles.

Ray

20. Apr 21, 2012 at 5:57 PM
    ronman737

ronman737 Dangerous

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Greenville, SC
    2008 4Runner 4x4 Sport
    Every time the hood is up for me too.

Products Discussed in

To Top