Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Do you check your oil?

View Poll Results: Do you check your oil?
Yes, every fill-up because... 62 12.58%
Yes, sometimes because... 259 52.54%
No, because... 93 18.86%
No, but I should because... 73 14.81%
Other because... 6 1.22%
Voters: 493. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #21
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I had a friend think that his oil light was a low oil level light. He stopped adding oil when the car started smoking big time and some actually came out of the exhaust. He had a total of 10 quarts in the engine. Lol.

The only vehicles I have seen with an actual oil level light are rotary powered vehicles. My RX7 had both an oil level warning and oil pressure warning. Rotaries naturally burn a bit of oil as part of combustion so that the rotor seals stay lubbed.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #22
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Got into the habit of checking every fillup when I was a kid.
Didn't used to have to, but when stations started going self-service, it became my job.

Once I started driving my own newer vehicles, I've found it a bit of a waste to check every fillup, but I'll pop the hood and do a quick fluids and belt/hose check a couple of times a month.
My '95 Suburban with 300k on it used to burn a quart every 3k.
My motorcycle is unpredictable... it'll go 3000 miles and not burn a bit, then it'll suck a quart in 800 miles... but it has a sight glass so checking is easy.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #23
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I had a friend think that his oil light was a low oil level light. He stopped adding oil when the car started smoking big time and some actually came out of the exhaust. He had a total of 10 quarts in the engine. Lol.

The only vehicles I have seen with an actual oil level light are rotary powered vehicles. My RX7 had both an oil level warning and oil pressure warning. Rotaries naturally burn a bit of oil as part of combustion so that the rotor seals stay lubbed.
My '05 C7500 work truck has an oil level light.
10qt capacity, when the light comes on it's 2 quarts low.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #24
AnotherSilverTaco has a spectacular aura aboutAnotherSilverTaco has a spectacular aura aboutAnotherSilverTaco has a spectacular aura about

AnotherSilverTaco's Tacoma Gallery
The fact is I've never needed to check it in 6 years

The fact is I have never needed to check it in 6 years and 88k miles. I am sure, I will need to eventually. Do any of you regular oil checkers seem to be burning much?

It just seems like with newer engines and especially newer oils it isn't as critical.

I know oil and engines have come a long way, since I was in high school.

Any high mileage people willing to share their oil consumption?
Old 04-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #25
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
My '05 C7500 work truck has an oil level light.
10qt capacity, when the light comes on it's 2 quarts low.
Yeah that's right. GM started using them. I like the smart oil change reminders they have.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #26
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
After break in, I switched to amsoil. After 86k it uses less than a quart 5k.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #28
1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Medic
1980's Tacoma Gallery
When I was 14 I was driving an old worn-out Chevy with a 396 V8 in it to and from my farm job. I had to check the oil every day because it used about a quart every fifty mile round trip; even sitting it used oil as the seals were shot.

Flash forward to my Toyota pickups, which hardly used oil at all. Even my '87 Toyota pickup at 17 years of age and over 220,000 miles used less than a half quart between oil changes.

I check the oil in my current Tacoma after I change it to make sure that it's full and then just every once in a while, more for something to do while waiting for the tank to fill than out of any real need. My Taco is six years old this summer and doesn't use enough oil between changes to tell for sure whether or not it's actually gone down on the dipstick.

However, I don't do any extreme or constant off-roading anymore either; I just use my truck's off-road capabilities when they are needed (usually mud and snow season). If you have an engine that you suspect might have a mechanical problem or if you operate the vehicle in deep water then by all means check the oil often. In the military we usually had to change the oil in the gamma goats every time they swam a river.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #30
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I used to work at NAPA. One day a customer came in and bought a quart of oil. Five minutes later he came back and bought a second quart of oil. Ten minutes later, a third.

I was thinking "hmmmm, adding oil in the parking lot?) Then he comes back inside and buys a case of oil. I am not one to ask questions about others' business, so I say nothing.

Maybe 15-20 minutes later, the same guy comes in and asks me how many quarts of oil a 74? Ford Galaxy will hold. I say "I dunno, five or six quarts maybe."

He asked me to go outside and look at his oil level. I was curious, so I went. He takes off the oil filler cap and tells me he's put 15 quarts in his engine and the oil still isn't to the top of the "oil reservoir"

I showed him how to use an oil dipstick.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #31
VolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Machinist Mate Third Class (Veteran 2011)
VolcomTacoma2011's Tacoma Gallery
WTF what was he filling lol?? Coolant tank?
Old 04-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #32
AnotherSilverTaco has a spectacular aura aboutAnotherSilverTaco has a spectacular aura aboutAnotherSilverTaco has a spectacular aura about

AnotherSilverTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
I used to work at NAPA. One day a customer came in and bought a quart of oil. Five minutes later he came back and bought a second quart of oil. Ten minutes later, a third.

I was thinking "hmmmm, adding oil in the parking lot?) Then he comes back inside and buys a case of oil. I am not one to ask questions about others' business, so I say nothing.

Maybe 15-20 minutes later, the same guy comes in and asks me how many quarts of oil a 74? Ford Galaxy will hold. I say "I dunno, five or six quarts maybe."

He asked me to go outside and look at his oil level. I was curious, so I went. He takes off the oil filler cap and tells me he's put 15 quarts in his engine and the oil still isn't to the top of the "oil reservoir"

Did you tell him he WAS a dipstick?
Old 04-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #33
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolcomTacoma2011 View Post
WTF what was he filling lol?? Coolant tank?
He was filling the engine oil. He thought that the oil level would be correct when it reached the bottom of the hole in the valve cover where he had removed the oil cap.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #34
Mikk is on a distinguished road
Mikk's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is a 2011, so I did check every fill up til I was sure it burns nothing, now I check every few tanks. Or if leaving town because who the hell sells 0w 20??
Old 04-21-2012, 03:59 PM   #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherSilverTaco View Post
Did you tell him he WAS a dipstick?
I am too polite sometimes.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #36
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah that's right. GM started using them. I like the smart oil change reminders they have.
I think some of these oil change minders are a mixed blessing. My Tacoma goes off at 5,000 miles which is fine since I use syn. My wife's Honda was at 8,000 and minder said it had 70% to go. Maybe some one better in math then I am can tell me when it would say to change the oil - 20,000 ? I also wonder if it is just a scheme to make you buy an new car when the motor goes because of extended OCI ?
Old 04-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherSilverTaco View Post
The fact is I have never needed to check it in 6 years and 88k miles. I am sure, I will need to eventually. Do any of you regular oil checkers seem to be burning much?

It just seems like with newer engines and especially newer oils it isn't as critical.

I know oil and engines have come a long way, since I was in high school.

Any high mileage people willing to share their oil consumption?
Wife's '04 Rav4 runs about a quart every 5-6000. She has 120k on it.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by george3 View Post
I think some of these oil change minders are a mixed blessing. My Tacoma goes off at 5,000 miles which is fine since I use syn. My wife's Honda was at 8,000 and minder said it had 70% to go. Maybe some one better in math then I am can tell me when it would say to change the oil - 20,000 ? I also wonder if it is just a scheme to make you buy an new car when the motor goes because of extended OCI ?
Different minders operate differently.

Toyota's is stupid. It is simply a reminder clock that goes off every 5000 miles. There is no intelligence behind it. Same for the one in my '07 Explorer.
The GM (and perhaps Honda?) monitor engine RPM, load, temperature, and other parameters to give a good estimate of oil life.
This estimate is based on using the factory recommended oil and weight, so if you are running synthetic in an engine where the factory does not require it, you're doing even better and are more than safe following the oil minder.

My '06 Duramax would indicate that a change was needed anywhere from 8k to 13k depending on conditions. There has been a lot of debate and analysis of the GM OLI and the general opinion backed up by used oil analysis is that you can trust the automated systems... they are ALWAYS going to err on the conservative side. No manufacturer wants to pay for repairs, or be trashed on the net, because someone had a problem following the OLI.

Did her minder say there was 70% to go, or 70% used? I've seen them both ways. I think the one in my Explorer (even though it was just a "clock") indicated "used", so at oil change time it said 99%.
I think the Duramax showed remaining.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #39
ae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kimo
ae111black's Tacoma Gallery
Nope Mine's an 10' and it does not leak so whats the point?
Old 04-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #40
Easily Replaceable Member
elmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
elmo7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post

Wow! And you guys calling me a troll?! LOL! (I thought only my wife called me that.) Just keeping the mood light. Never thought someone would actually do something like that. Takes all kinds I guess. Noobs are everywhere.

I check my oil at rather irregular intervals. I always check it before I change it and after I refill. My 74 Nova would suck down some oil. The Taco doesn't so much, so I don't worry about it much.