Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Do you check your oil?

View Poll Results: Do you check your oil?
Yes, every fill-up because... 62 12.58%
Yes, sometimes because... 259 52.54%
No, because... 93 18.86%
No, but I should because... 73 14.81%
Other because... 6 1.22%
Voters: 493. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #41
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Don't check it as often as I should

But always before heading on a road trip. And once a day while traveling
Old 04-21-2012, 05:27 PM   #42
tlh178 is on a distinguished road
Name: terry
tlh178's Tacoma Gallery
this is my 4th new toyota, i have never check my oil. the key is oil changes. make sure you do that every 5k and you should be good.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #43
Ray is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Ray's Tacoma Gallery
Once a week: oil, tires, fluids, lights on all three vehicles.

Ray
Old 04-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #44
Dangerous
ronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ron
ronman737's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJ View Post
with regular oil changes, and seeing no oil loss its hard to worry about it unless you see a puddle... but once you sense a motor starts burning oil, you begin to check it more. I always check my oil when the hood is up...
Every time the hood is up for me too.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #45
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Once a week. Sometimes more.

Putting 80k on a d16y8 that burned a quart every 250 miles will cause certain long-term habits.

Truck doesn't go through hardly any at all though, which is nice.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #46
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
some times. if i do i do it when i clean engine bay or add windshield washer fluid. other than that no not on my truck.

atvs,dirt bikes check every other ride. but they also have to be done more often. i know my dirt bike is every 15 hours.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #47
Mr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mr.Ed's Tacoma Gallery
Just get it changed 3-5K if it's not on the floor or blowing out the pipe no reason.
I have checked it when I had the hood open. I have just short of 80K no leaks nothing burning, no check lights so no.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #48
Mr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mr.Ed's Tacoma Gallery
That's part of the reason the full service gas station ended in most states with the advancement of tires, rings/engine management system aka the comp.
We still have full service stations but they are for us rich people. LOL we do. Not sure but I think some states its a law ( must be Union Pay off)
Old 04-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #49
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
Not sure but I think some states its a law ( must be Union Pay off)
Oregon.

It has nothing to do with the unions.

The gas station "association" puts it on the ballot every few years and the voters always reject it.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:41 PM   #50
1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Medic
1980's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Oregon.

The gas station "association" puts it on the ballot every few years and the voters always reject it.
I used to think a more direct democracy would be better in the US until I lived in Oregon for ten years. Each year I would get a hundred or so page "voter's pamphlet." The time and effort it took to research and vote on each issue is why most people just voted "no" on anything that was going to be changed.

It was weird not being able to pump gas in Oregon but I got used to it. However, I never did understand the unions. In Oregon, you have to pay a union if you work at a job that is represented by one even if you don't join said union or get "union" pay or benefits -- it's quite a racket. One would think that this would be unconstitutional but it has been upheld by the US Supreme court.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:16 PM   #51
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1980 View Post
I used to think a more direct democracy would be better in the US until I lived in Oregon for ten years. Each year I would get a hundred or so page "voter's pamphlet." The time and effort it took to research and vote on each issue is why most people just voted "no" on anything that was going to be changed.
Is it such a bad thing?

California is so fucked up because people just vote YES!
Save the whales? Sure!
Why does my trans fluid cost twice as much? California won't allow importation of whale oil products? Why? Save the whales? Oh shit.

Quote:
However, I never did understand the unions. In Oregon, you have to pay a union if you work at a job that is represented by one even if you don't join said union or get "union" pay or benefits -- it's quite a racket. One would think that this would be unconstitutional but it has been upheld by the US Supreme court.
It's the same in most areas, including here.
The courts have upheld it by agreeing that since the job is represented by a union, they negotiated the pay and benefits, and it would be unfair to allow someone to benefit from that work without paying the union.
It is a reduced rate... at my job, dues are 1% of non-overtime earnings. If I elect to not join the union, I only pay 0.5%.

The racket that we have is prevailing wage.
Unions don't like competition.
If a job uses public money, the contractor is required to submit certified payroll. Even if he is not a union shop, he must pay union wages. That allows the union shops to be competitive with the non-union shops (except the non-union shops still manage to play games).
Old 04-22-2012, 01:36 AM   #52
1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Medic
1980's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
they negotiated the pay and benefits, and it would be unfair to allow someone to benefit from that work without paying the union.
I see the point but if a union ever negotiated the salary I was paid then they did a crap job of it. It seemed that they weren't just taking a few percent out of my paycheck either. What really pissed me off though was when I read a breakdown of where the money went and noticed that the biggest chunk went to "Organization and Administration" of the union itself.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:22 AM   #54
DrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DrewH's Tacoma Gallery
I usually check mine when I wash it.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:30 AM   #55
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Every second or third fill up.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:22 AM   #56
Dustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Dustyroades's Tacoma Gallery
I check mine every once in a while but it's pretty much pointless since the dipstick is impossible to read.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:28 AM   #57
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
i dont check mine as much as I should, but every month or so I'll check it, or if I'm going on a trip.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #58
AnotherSilverTaco has a spectacular aura aboutAnotherSilverTaco has a spectacular aura aboutAnotherSilverTaco has a spectacular aura about

AnotherSilverTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyroades View Post
I check mine every once in a while but it's pretty much pointless since the dipstick is impossible to read.
Interesting point. That twist at the end of the dipstick and the twist in the tube don't help things. A year ago I had to steel wool the dipstick, because it had developed a residue making it look full all the time. The dipstick would be nicer I it were flat. Wonder why I has the twist in it?

No pins intended...
Old 04-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #59
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Every fill up - because it's easier to follow a routine than to remember "is this the 3rd/4th/whatever fillup and I ought to be checking it this time?"

I haven't told this story in a while - I was checking the dipstick as usual at a fill up, and reinserting the dipstick into the engine. Suddenly, there's a loud pop and a flash! I looked down and the dipstick is ON FIRE! WTF? How can a dipstick burn? It's steel!

Well, it can't, but it's coated in oil that can burn.

It took a minute to figure out what happened - the plastic cover for the Positive (+) battery terminal doesn't stay in place on my truck because there are a bunch of wires and a fat winch cable coming off of it.

As I was putting it in, the dipstick brushed up against the Positive terminal and grounded against the engine, creating a short circuit and a big spark. The spark ignited the oil on the dipstick.

So, there you go kids - don't check your oil, because you might accidentally set your engine on fire.

But seriously, my 2008 Honda Odyssey minivan had a manufacturing defect in the head gasket. The first evidence was running kinda rough around the time of the second oil change. But it also started burning some oil. It was two quarts low at the second oil change.

If I'd been as careful about checking the oil (the wife gasses up the minivan) we would have more of a clue about the failure earlier. Alternatively, if it had run even lower on oil that would have caused "low oil" failure and the dealer could have denied warranty coverage on that.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #60
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
I do at pretty much every other fill up.