1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do you check your oil?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AnotherSilverTaco, Apr 21, 2012.

?

Do you check your oil?

1. Yes, every fill-up because...

62 vote(s)
    12.6%
  2. Yes, sometimes because...

259 vote(s)
    52.5%
  3. No, because...

93 vote(s)
    18.9%
  4. No, but I should because...

73 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. Other because...

6 vote(s)
    1.2%
  1. Apr 21, 2012 at 7:51 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    Once a week. Sometimes more.

Putting 80k on a d16y8 that burned a quart every 250 miles will cause certain long-term habits.

Truck doesn't go through hardly any at all though, which is nice.

2. Apr 21, 2012 at 7:55 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    some times. if i do i do it when i clean engine bay or add windshield washer fluid. other than that no not on my truck.

atvs,dirt bikes check every other ride. but they also have to be done more often. i know my dirt bike is every 15 hours.

3. Apr 21, 2012 at 8:04 PM
    Mr.Ed

Mr.Ed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wilbur's Barn
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail V6
    Toytec Ulimate W/Dakar leaf pack, LR UCA'S, Undercover, Weather Tech, Block Heater
    Just get it changed 3-5K if it's not on the floor or blowing out the pipe no reason.
    I have checked it when I had the hood open. I have just short of 80K no leaks nothing burning, no check lights so no.

4. Apr 21, 2012 at 8:18 PM
    Mr.Ed

Mr.Ed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wilbur's Barn
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail V6
    Toytec Ulimate W/Dakar leaf pack, LR UCA'S, Undercover, Weather Tech, Block Heater
    That's part of the reason the full service gas station ended in most states with the advancement of tires, rings/engine management system aka the comp.
    We still have full service stations but they are for us rich people. LOL we do. Not sure but I think some states its a law ( must be Union Pay off)

5. Apr 21, 2012 at 8:48 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Oregon.

It has nothing to do with the unions.

The gas station "association" puts it on the ballot every few years and the voters always reject it.

6. Apr 21, 2012 at 9:41 PM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    I used to think a more direct democracy would be better in the US until I lived in Oregon for ten years. Each year I would get a hundred or so page "voter's pamphlet." The time and effort it took to research and vote on each issue is why most people just voted "no" on anything that was going to be changed.

It was weird not being able to pump gas in Oregon but I got used to it. However, I never did understand the unions. In Oregon, you have to pay a union if you work at a job that is represented by one even if you don't join said union or get "union" pay or benefits -- it's quite a racket. One would think that this would be unconstitutional but it has been upheld by the US Supreme court.

7. Apr 21, 2012 at 11:16 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Is it such a bad thing?

California is so fucked up because people just vote YES!
    Save the whales? Sure!
    Why does my trans fluid cost twice as much? California won't allow importation of whale oil products? Why? Save the whales? Oh shit. :facepalm:

It's the same in most areas, including here.
    The courts have upheld it by agreeing that since the job is represented by a union, they negotiated the pay and benefits, and it would be unfair to allow someone to benefit from that work without paying the union.
    It is a reduced rate... at my job, dues are 1% of non-overtime earnings. If I elect to not join the union, I only pay 0.5%.

The racket that we have is prevailing wage.
    Unions don't like competition.
    If a job uses public money, the contractor is required to submit certified payroll. Even if he is not a union shop, he must pay union wages. That allows the union shops to be competitive with the non-union shops (except the non-union shops still manage to play games).

8. Apr 22, 2012 at 1:36 AM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    I see the point but if a union ever negotiated the salary I was paid then they did a crap job of it. It seemed that they weren't just taking a few percent out of my paycheck either. What really pissed me off though was when I read a breakdown of where the money went and noticed that the biggest chunk went to "Organization and Administration" of the union itself.

9. Apr 22, 2012 at 5:37 AM
    boomer6

boomer6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
    disabled DRLs disabled seat belt chime disabled the key in the ignition with door open buzzer Installed Illuminated 4wd switch circuit board Marker lights Flashing with turn signals Toggle switch ABS Disable Fog Lights on AnyTime Mod Changed to Yellow bulbs in the Fog Lights Converted interior lights to leds Installed oem roof rack Installed Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags and Daystar Cradles for the air bags Added oil catch can Relentless Tailgate Protector installed
    Every sunday oil,all fluids and air in tires are checked. Will check everything again if I`m going on a long trip.

10. Apr 22, 2012 at 6:22 AM
    DrewH

DrewH Well-Known Member

Member:
    I usually check mine when I wash it.

11. Apr 22, 2012 at 6:30 AM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Every second or third fill up.

12. Apr 22, 2012 at 7:22 AM
    Dustyroades

Dustyroades Well-Known Member

Member:
    London, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    I check mine every once in a while but it's pretty much pointless since the dipstick is impossible to read.

13. Apr 22, 2012 at 7:28 AM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    i dont check mine as much as I should, but every month or so I'll check it, or if I'm going on a trip.

14. Apr 22, 2012 at 7:36 AM
    AnotherSilverTaco

AnotherSilverTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab 4x4
    CBI trailrider rear bumper, CBI Front Receiver, Warn M8000 Receiver Winch in Warn Multi-mount cradle
    Interesting point. That twist at the end of the dipstick and the twist in the tube don't help things. A year ago I had to steel wool the dipstick, because it had developed a residue making it look full all the time. The dipstick would be nicer I it were flat. Wonder why I has the twist in it?

No pins intended...

15. Apr 22, 2012 at 8:09 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Every fill up - because it's easier to follow a routine than to remember "is this the 3rd/4th/whatever fillup and I ought to be checking it this time?"

I haven't told this story in a while - I was checking the dipstick as usual at a fill up, and reinserting the dipstick into the engine. Suddenly, there's a loud pop and a flash! I looked down and the dipstick is ON FIRE! :eek: WTF? How can a dipstick burn? It's steel!

Well, it can't, but it's coated in oil that can burn.

It took a minute to figure out what happened - the plastic cover for the Positive (+) battery terminal doesn't stay in place on my truck because there are a bunch of wires and a fat winch cable coming off of it.

As I was putting it in, the dipstick brushed up against the Positive terminal and grounded against the engine, creating a short circuit and a big spark. The spark ignited the oil on the dipstick.

So, there you go kids - don't check your oil, because you might accidentally set your engine on fire. ;)

But seriously, my 2008 Honda Odyssey minivan had a manufacturing defect in the head gasket. The first evidence was running kinda rough around the time of the second oil change. But it also started burning some oil. It was two quarts low at the second oil change.

If I'd been as careful about checking the oil (the wife gasses up the minivan) we would have more of a clue about the failure earlier. Alternatively, if it had run even lower on oil that would have caused "low oil" failure and the dealer could have denied warranty coverage on that.

16. Apr 22, 2012 at 9:18 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    I do at pretty much every other fill up.

17. Apr 22, 2012 at 2:01 PM
    12Tac

12Tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2020 Double Cab, Long-bed TRD Off Road.
    SnugTop, FN Wheels, Meso Custom, Tacos4Cheap
    About once a week or every fill up.

18. Apr 22, 2012 at 2:04 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Oh I agree.
    My union leadership is a bunch of people who barely graduated HS and they are negotiating contracts with people who have MBAs.

They scare and give in easily.

19. Apr 22, 2012 at 2:06 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    yeah i did it like every 5 to 10 depending on if it was track time or just at my friends. track time did it less than 15. if it was just at my friends on his 10 acres in a filed i would sometimes go to 15.

20. Apr 23, 2012 at 8:06 AM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    Uh, er, see the thing is, I, I, I, you know, like uh, sometimes. In fact, I was just thinking about getting ready, to commence preparing, to plan on checking it as soon as I get around to it. :eek:

Products Discussed in

To Top