Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Do you check your oil?

View Poll Results: Do you check your oil?
Yes, every fill-up because... 62 12.58%
Yes, sometimes because... 259 52.54%
No, because... 93 18.86%
No, but I should because... 73 14.81%
Other because... 6 1.22%
Voters: 493. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #101
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kala View Post
Yep, that light comes on every now and then, but its right next to the airbag warning light and it doesnt bother me. Every now and then I remember to turn it off, but it seems to pop on before I know it.
It pops on every 5000 miles.

At about 4500 miles, it will flash a few times when you first start the truck as a reminder that you need to THINK ABOUT changing your oil.
At 5000 miles, it comes on solid to let you know that the time for thinking about it is over.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #102
Kala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kala's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
It pops on every 5000 miles.

At about 4500 miles, it will flash a few times when you first start the truck as a reminder that you need to THINK ABOUT changing your oil.
At 5000 miles, it comes on solid to let you know that the time for thinking about it is over.
I guess I drive my tacoma a lot....
Old 10-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #103
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kala View Post
I guess I drive my tacoma a lot....
You live on an island
Old 10-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #104
Kala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kala's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
You live on an island
yes sir...but it isnt that hard to put on 15-30k a year. I didnt hit 30k a year with any of my cars, but ive done 12k miles in 7 months and that was with me having 1 or 2 other cars to drive.
My truck has 140k miles and was bought on this island. Most of the miles are from me within the last 3 or 4 years I had this truck.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #105

It's 220 miles around the island on the interstate.
30k/year is 80 miles every day.

I can see it if you live on one side of the island and work on the other.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #106
Kala's Tacoma Gallery
For a few years I used to drive 36miles to work, 36 miles back..but of course I dont just go straight home. Yeah, 80 miles a day may seem like a lot, but theres people who do hit the 30k miles a year mark. When I got my Tacoma I barely drove it to work..most of the miles are from the past couple years.
My dads Titan, bought brand new in dec 04, has 150 or 160k last time I checked...and he mostly just drives to work but its his only truck. Its very possible. Theres 300k n above 1st gen taco/3rd gen 4runners on this island.. Ive owned a couple of em that had over 200k. Its very possible.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #107
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
1-2 months depending on how often I use the truck along with tire pressure. Quick check on my daily, once a month.

I wouldn't worry about checking oil more often regardless of miles unless oil level is low before an oil change.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #108
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Oil is for chumps. I don't use oil.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #109
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
Oil is for chumps. I don't use oil.
Unicorn tears have far superior lubrication characteristics than oil.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #110
Mr.Gadget is on a distinguished road

Mr.Gadget's Tacoma Gallery
I do time to time.
I park the same place at work and home and make sure the ground is clear on both every day I walk to the truck.
No dripping, then it should be fine so check when I can.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #111
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
No because these trucks don't ever lose or drip oil. Change it every 4,000 +/- miles (3,000-5,000).
Old 12-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #112
MikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MikeyMcFly's Tacoma Gallery
I check mine every fill up. I do wish I had an oil pressure gauge on it from the factory. I added one on my car along with an oil temperature gauge and monitor those and adjust my driving habits accordingly.

IMHO all the oil light on the dash tells you is that you did expensive damage to your motor as unless Toyota is different, the light will not illuminate unless the pressure is under some ridiculously low value (like 5 psi or so).
Old 05-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #114
Vaginas are rad.
Boone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Check it when I'm under the hood. Maybe once or twice a month on average.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #115
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
Unless you have a burner or leaker, the Toyota's just don't use oil, when I first switched to synthetic, I had to add about 1/2 quart the first 5000 miles, but never had to add since....remember, when you fill the 3.4L, it takes a bit more than 5.1 quarts to fill, you are already a bit low even though you may think you are full up....I have an extra quart that last three oil changes before another is needed to top off at change time...

I check the oil maybe two, three times between changes....
Old 08-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #116
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
I check mine if I sense something isn't right, or typically check every couple of weeks or so. One thing I always do is look for drips when I park and when walking back to the truck. That's always been a habit of mine since getting into the car buisness. Check the pavement below any vehicle for any signs of any kind of leaks. If I ever see a puddle that I don't remember being there when I parked the truck then I definently check the oil, trans, and radiator fluid just to be safe.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #117
kjmc is on a distinguished road

Name: Kelly
kjmc's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Oil Check

I check my Oil about every 2000 Km and change every 8000 Km.
I also look for wet spots on the ground (touch wood )
none yet with 192,000 Km's.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:22 AM   #118
andjenliang is a splendid one to beholdandjenliang is a splendid one to beholdandjenliang is a splendid one to beholdandjenliang is a splendid one to beholdandjenliang is a splendid one to beholdandjenliang is a splendid one to beholdandjenliang is a splendid one to beholdandjenliang is a splendid one to behold
Law Enforcement: LAXPD OIT
Name: Andew
andjenliang's Tacoma Gallery
I think i might lose more oil constantly checking my dipstick than my engine burns...
Old 08-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #119
invertedAv8r is a jewel in the roughinvertedAv8r is a jewel in the roughinvertedAv8r is a jewel in the roughinvertedAv8r is a jewel in the rough
invertedAv8r's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, sometimes because...

...It reminds me to change it out. If I never checked the oil it would be outta sight, outta mind...
Old 08-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #120
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MI Officer
Name: Chris
Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have checked the oil (in the sense of the term we're using here) about 4 times since I have owned my 2000 Tacoma. 208,000 miles.

I do my own oil changes ~5k miles and pay attention to how the truck drives. It doesn't leak. These engines don't burn oil... and if they do, there is something seriously wrong and I'd be able to tell. If I ever get indicators that something is amiss, I'll start checking. I guess that makes me an irresponsible jackass, wouldn't be the first I've been accused of that!