Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4Runner vs Tacoma

Old 07-19-2007, 07:29 AM   #1
fotofuey is on a distinguished road
fotofuey's Tacoma Gallery
4Runner vs Tacoma

I'd like to get some feedback from this forum. I am trying to decide between a 4runner and a Tacoma. The debate between having a truck or an suv, I can work out on my own. My question is more about the difference in off road capabilities.

As an off road vehicle does the TRD Tacoma out perform the 4Runner or visa versa? Are their off road capabilities comparable? Love to hear from someone who's had both.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:42 AM   #2
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
SUV's tend to perform a little better off-road since they have more weight in the back and can get more traction in the rear. I have not looked into the 4runner so i have no idea what kind of suspension options they offer. If they offer an option with bilsteins, then i would say the 4runner would out perform the tacoma, especially if you lifted it a litte, since 4runners sit a litte closer to the ground. Personally i think a truck is all around more useful than an SUV, but thats just a personal preference. so you really need to find out about the suspension options and possibly frame construction, not sure how the 4runner frame compares to the taco. Once you find that out it will be easier to decide
Old 07-19-2007, 01:32 PM   #3
Ultimate Member
SLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to beholdSLOTaco is a splendid one to behold

SLOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
The only problem with the suv is that it wieghs more, so you'll have more trouble on sand or getting over some terrain. Obviouslsly I like the trucks better but I truly believe that you could get more offroad performance out of the truck than the suv.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:12 PM   #4
Lee's06Taco is on a distinguished road

Lee's06Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOTaco View Post
The only problem with the suv is that it wieghs more, so you'll have more trouble on sand or getting over some terrain. Obviouslsly I like the trucks better but I truly believe that you could get more offroad performance out of the truck than the suv.
X2 on that.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:01 PM   #5
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
SUV = flip
Old 07-20-2007, 04:57 PM   #6
Mudbug is on a distinguished road

Mudbug's Tacoma Gallery
SUV= soccer mom car. haha
I say truck just for the above fact.
Aside from that. I have to agree that I think the truck would do better off road because it won't sink in the mud as much.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:51 AM   #7
caglezxj is on a distinguished road
caglezxj's Tacoma Gallery
I have both. A 06 4 Runner Sport 4x4, and a 07 TRD Sport 4x4 access cab. The suv cost more, and I had rather take my truck out instead. For light camping and just riding back roads the 4 Runner is nice. I am a big time 4x4 fan. I build rock crawlers www.twistedoffroadcustoms.com . However If I was picking one for more offroad and maybe lifting and biger tires I would go with the truck. I work for Toyota Motor Manufacturing in North Alabama. I said I would never have a truck other than a chevy. However I like the tacoma. Sense we build the same V6 and the V8 for the Tundra. I know it is a good engine.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:03 PM   #8
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
well i guess i stand corrected, go with the truck, they look better anyway