1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Temporary bedliner removal

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by pdk9, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Apr 22, 2012 at 7:21 AM
    pdk9

pdk9 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Southern, New Hampshire
    I am trying to install a used TracRac onto my 2012 DC Longbed. The TracRac requires a rail to be installed onto the top of the bed rail so I need to temporarily remove the sides of the bed liner to access underneath the top rails. Any links to on this removal?

2. Apr 22, 2012 at 7:30 AM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    You can find the Factory Service Manual . Also... it's not a bed liner, it's the bed and one piece, and check with XXXX for his install. It doesn't look like he removed anything. Remember the search feature is you friend. Good luck.

Frank

3. Apr 22, 2012 at 11:03 AM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    +1

Bed is attached to the frame, and the fenders/bedsides are attached to the bed.
    You can not remove the bed.

You CAN remove the pockets above the wheel wells, and the storage boxes at the rear, and from there you should be able to reach the bottom of the rails.

4. Apr 22, 2012 at 12:31 PM
    pdk9

pdk9 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Southern, New Hampshire
    I believe the install that XXXX did used the Tacoma brackets to connect to the bed rails. I want to be able to use a tonneua cover as well as the TracRac so I need to go through the top of the bed rail like a normal pickup bed. I will try going through the boxes but I need access to the all corners of the rails for the mounting bolts.

5. Apr 22, 2012 at 1:33 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    You don't have any other options due to the way the Tacoma bed is made.
    The fenders literally hang from the plastic bed. You can remove the fenders, but other than that, the only path is through the places I mentioned above, or from under the truck (you can reach all the way to the rails from under the truck, but it'll turn your installation into a 2-person job).

6. Apr 25, 2012 at 6:49 PM
    pdk9

pdk9 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Southern, New Hampshire
    I guess I need to find out if the rails are structurally sound enough to screw through them. The TracRac that I have is the one that requires a rail to be installed onto the top of the bed rails and then the rac system slides on these rails vs. the clamp on type that XXXX used. Thanks for the advise.

Products Discussed in

To Top