Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

19.3 MPG for first tank.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:57 AM   #1
smckeown is on a distinguished road
smckeown's Tacoma Gallery
19.3 MPG for first tank.

I must say Wow.
I am very pleasantly suprised by the first tanks MPG of 19.3.
Coming from a truck that averaged 13.5 I am amazed.
I dont think I have ever owned a truck or car for that matter that has had such good mpg.

Just venting a little ...

Scott
Old 07-19-2007, 08:04 AM   #2
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
my first tank was a little over 20, then it dropped down for some reason. Maybe cause i drove like an old woman when i first bought it, i dunno. I average between 17 and 20 now, i expect to average closer to 20 once summer is over and im not constantly blasting the AC
Old 07-19-2007, 08:40 AM   #3
doublea is on a distinguished road
doublea's Tacoma Gallery
Mine also just went thru 1st tank and i was at 20 mpg. As you all know when our taco's get about 5000 - 6000 miles on them ( along with every other motor i've come across) they should increase in hp and mileage. Not saying it will get another 10 horse and 5 mpg, but you should see a slight diff...
Old 07-19-2007, 08:46 AM   #4
doublea is on a distinguished road
doublea's Tacoma Gallery
Question for ya's?? I know gas is #@$&%*! crazy in the pocket, but do you guy's run 87 or higher?? Dealer told me no need for high test and I ran 87 in mine. Nobody getting the knocking or anything on 87??
Old 07-19-2007, 08:49 AM   #5
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Anything above what the owners manual states is a waste of money. You don't need it unless you're trying to solve a pinging problem or you're boosted in some fashion.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:32 PM   #6
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Your very lucky. My first fillup was @ 15.5 mpg. However, I installed a Scangauge II and ever since then I have been averaging between 17.5-18mpg. Its 75% street driving though and with constant AC.

Ted
Old 07-20-2007, 08:31 PM   #7
apontaza is on a distinguished road
apontaza's Tacoma Gallery
My average is 16.8 or barely 17 mpg.. All city driving
Am I driving it wrong or what's going on?? All stock except K&N air filter
Old 07-21-2007, 02:17 AM   #8
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by apontaza View Post
My average is 16.8 or barely 17 mpg.. All city driving
Am I driving it wrong or what's going on?? All stock except K&N air filter
That actually sounds about right; at least from my experience. Remember to go very easy on the gas when you accelerate from a stoplight/stop sign. This helps me out ALOT. I always laugh at the guys who haul ass from a dead stop. Nine times out of ten I arrive at the next light only a second or two after them. Also leave a big gap between you and the driver ahead of you. That way you are not slowing down and accelerating so much. You will keep the truck at a steady pace for as long as possible and this saves gas.

Ted
Old 07-21-2007, 05:58 PM   #9
Panama Red is on a distinguished road
Panama Red's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2007 V6 Access Cab w/auto tranny and I have over 4,200 miles at the moment. During this time my lowest MPG was 20.0 (first fillup) to my best of 23.6 MPG with mixed town & country (no freeway) driving. I am hoping that I can get 24.0 by the time I reach 6,000 miles.

As Zonks stated, keep it easy and you would be surprised how good you MPG can get.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:31 PM   #10

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
During this time my lowest MPG was 20.0 (first fillup) to my best of 23.6 MPG with mixed town & country (no freeway) driving.
See, this absolutely blows my mind. We have the exact same engine, etc. and I couldnt get anywhere near 23 mpg unless i drove 20 mph down hill for the entire tank. It must be the fuel here in Kal.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:25 AM   #11
It also depends if you have a 4x4 (lower MPG), larger tires (lower MPG), haul things, i.e. more weight in truck (lower MPG), jack rabbit starts (lower MPG), drive faster than 60 MPH (lower MPG), "environamentally friendly" fuel (lower MPG), pass everybody you can (lower MPG) or keep your rev's above 2,000 RPM (lower MPG).

When driving my small sportscars (two Miatas and Alfa Spider), I do not have to worry as much about the MPG like the V6 4.0L Taco because I can get at least 30 MPG if I do not push any of them (but I can still average 5 MPG above the EPA figures though with the sportscars). The Taco on the other hand, if I want good milage out of it, I have to treat it a little "kinder" so I can up the milage.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:37 AM   #12

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
It also depends if you have a 4x4 (lower MPG), larger tires (lower MPG), haul things, i.e. more weight in truck (lower MPG), jack rabbit starts (lower MPG), drive faster than 60 MPH (lower MPG), "environamentally friendly" fuel (lower MPG), pass everybody you can (lower MPG) or keep your rev's above 2,000 RPM (lower MPG).
I drive this thing like an old lady (35-40 streets / 55-60 fwy) and I get 18 mpg tops.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:12 AM   #13
gpm5sm is on a distinguished road
gpm5sm's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Pre-Runner '07 V6. After installing my extang covers, my mpg went up to 22 steady and most at 23.6 mpg on 87 octane. I just drive on the limits (speed) and avoid jack rabbit starts from stop lights. Still with my a/c always on.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:25 AM   #14
kurt_kk is on a distinguished road

kurt_kk's Tacoma Gallery
16.0-22mpg

From my experience with my truck I have gotten anywhere between 16.0-22mpg with an average of about 17.5mpg. Which is very reflectant of what the sticker says (17-21mpg). I did notice a slight increase in mileage at 6 or 8K and I currently have 23,000miles on my truck. The time I got 22mpg I probably hit a top speed of 60 mph and cruised at about 55mph the rest of the way on the highway so I don't expect to get more than 22mpg.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:41 AM   #15
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpm5sm View Post
I have a Pre-Runner '07 V6. After installing my extang covers, my mpg went up to 22 steady and most at 23.6 mpg on 87 octane. I just drive on the limits (speed) and avoid jack rabbit starts from stop lights. Still with my a/c always on.
I hate sounding stupid but i'm not familiar with extang covers....
Old 08-07-2007, 08:47 AM   #16
It should be just another vendor's tonneau cover.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:14 AM   #17

nd's Tacoma Gallery
gotcha, thanks PR
Old 08-07-2007, 09:27 AM   #18
TRDeity is on a distinguished road

TRDeity's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonKs View Post
See, this absolutely blows my mind. We have the exact same engine, etc. and I couldnt get anywhere near 23 mpg unless i drove 20 mph down hill for the entire tank. It must be the fuel here in Kal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonKs View Post
I drive this thing like an old lady (35-40 streets / 55-60 fwy) and I get 18 mpg tops.
I'm with you ZonKs, I drive slow and steady and the best tank I've gotten was 19.5 and average 18. Maybe it's the color of our trucks
Old 08-07-2007, 09:58 AM   #19

nd's Tacoma Gallery
for the last 3 tanks i have gotten 17.5 consistantly. I do 50/50 highway and city and blast the AC non-stop. considering i can tow almost 7000lbs and have plenty of pickup when i need it (no pun intended) i can deal with that mileage. i expect it to get considerably better when i replace the air filter and the weather gets colder and i dont use the AC.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:18 AM   #20
Bfmco7 is on a distinguished road
Bfmco7's Tacoma Gallery
Can anyone tell me what they are getting around town with a set of 33's and also a set of 35's would be nice. I am thinking of lifting mine but I want to knoe how much it is going to cost me in the long run!!