1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Automatic Lock problem

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by blinkbudda113, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Apr 22, 2012 at 2:01 PM
    blinkbudda113

blinkbudda113 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma
    About a month and a half ago my drivers side door stopped unlocking with the keyless entry device. Two weeks after that, my drivers side back door went out, and yesterday (4-21) the passenger side back door went out as well. They didnt go out all at once. I checked all the doors after each one went out. Im thinking that statistically the chances of the motors going out like that are pretty slim. Any other ideas?

2. Apr 22, 2012 at 2:08 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    sounds like the battery in key fob needs replacing

3. Apr 22, 2012 at 2:08 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Do they work from the control buttons on the inside of the door or when you use the key?

Operation from the buttons, or a double-tap on the key unlocking the rear door would rule out a problem with the motors.

4. Apr 22, 2012 at 2:41 PM
    blinkbudda113

blinkbudda113 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma
    Neither work. I have to use the key to open any door besides the passenger door.

5. Apr 22, 2012 at 2:43 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    That does sound like the motors.
    If it were a fuse or controller the passenger door would not work.

6. Apr 22, 2012 at 2:58 PM
    cmoschip

cmoschip Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    I have expereinced intermittent problems too, only to find that after using only the key for awhile, at least some of the failures have disappeared. I now, only have trouble with my driver's door. I had the front passenger's door stop alltogether (regardless of fob or either door switch being used) and my driver's door onmly worked 20% of the time. Today the passenger door is now working. It's dangerous in the sense that I don't trust the doors are locked when leaving the truck unless I look in and check all four.

From what I have been able to determine, the power door locks are controlled ECU - there are no relays to find/test/replace. The driver's door is on it's own output, the passenger front door and rear doors (if on a DC) are on a second output.

Like you, I the chance of having multiple doors fail within 36 hours of each was highly unlikely, statistically. From searching on this form and others it appears that this intermittent behavior is not entirely uncommon. No "solutions" that I have found - others claim they go away, they changed the battery (truck battery, not the fob) and they went away, etc. Some replaced the actuators in the doors, but with the intermittent nature, I'm not convinced that is what fixed their problem - it may just as well ben "fixed" by disconnecting, reconnecting and the act of taking it apart.

If you find out anything specific on yours, please post back here.

Thanks!

7. Apr 23, 2012 at 2:52 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    69040-04030 seems to be listed for LH and RH doors. $200+

Products Discussed in

To Top