1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fuses keep blowing

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dalucca, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Apr 23, 2012 at 12:35 PM
    dalucca

dalucca [OP] Member

Member:
    For the past couple of days I have been blowing a couple of fuses for some unknown reason. I have done no mods and not touched a thing on my '06 Tacoma. The fuses are #29 (Power Outlets) and #10 (Turn-Hazard). Not sure how I could have gotten a short if that is the case.

2. Apr 23, 2012 at 12:49 PM
    tacomafide

tacomafide Cheese it in there!

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB TRD Sport+Leather Pkg.
    de-badged, de-stickered, no jewlery, level kit (removed after second front dif), tint, skid plate (now dented), front tow hook off of Land Cruzer, reciever d hook (cleavis), yellow wire mod, abs kill sw. mod, window visors, stubby antena, anytime reverse lights mod, anytime reverse camera mod, blizzacks on stealies, bed lights mod, weathertec mats allround,
    Sucks dude. Here is a link to some free wiring diagrams. If they are popping as soon as you turn ign on that sucks. Short to ground. If they are not popping until a certain device is switched on that's a little better cause you can pinpoint what has the short. Good luck!
    Hope u have access to a meter!

3. Apr 23, 2012 at 1:34 PM
    dalucca

dalucca [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks.....it happens after some time after I replace them and not at startup. Need to see what item is popping the fuse.

4. Apr 23, 2012 at 5:38 PM
    tacomafide

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    de-badged, de-stickered, no jewlery, level kit (removed after second front dif), tint, skid plate (now dented), front tow hook off of Land Cruzer, reciever d hook (cleavis), yellow wire mod, abs kill sw. mod, window visors, stubby antena, anytime reverse lights mod, anytime reverse camera mod, blizzacks on stealies, bed lights mod, weathertec mats allround,
    Maybe there is something getting moved when you go over a bump and creating a temporary short. Wiggle the shit out of all the wiring harnesses and connectors. Its most likely not a time related issue ie. it pops after 14.25 minutes.

5. Apr 25, 2012 at 8:55 AM
    dalucca

dalucca [OP] Member

Member:
    Okay...figured out the issue is with fuse #29 only and only with the left cigarette lighter. The fuse will blow after start up and not on start up. Do I need to replace the wiring for that lighter only or what may be the cause. Have done no modifications to the vehicle when it comes to anything electrical.

6. Apr 25, 2012 at 10:22 AM
    tacomafide

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Before bucking up for new anything it prolly wouldn't hurt to trace the wiring out. Look for damage such as wiring getting pinched. Check connections at both ends. I would assume it goes to drivers kick panel and then to lighter. I would have to check diagrams. I know it's a pain in the arse but ur gonna have to do it anyway if you run new wire.

7. Apr 25, 2012 at 11:50 AM
    dalucca

dalucca [OP] Member

Member:
    But both lighters work off the same fuse. Could only the plugin part of the lighter have gone bad? It for sure is only the left one and nothing has ever been touched in that area.

8. Apr 25, 2012 at 12:38 PM
    SampleFool

SampleFool Three Percenter

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Ga
    Vehicle:
    Silver
    08 off-road
    If you mean the plugin part is touching something and grounding out. I like to put electrical tape around all my connections, bumps can move wires together and short. When you look you see nothing touching so you think its ok.

9. Apr 25, 2012 at 12:40 PM
    dalucca

dalucca [OP] Member

Member:
    So hard to say as I have only pulled the lighter part out and the wiring at quick glance looks okay. I will try and take a closer look.....looks like a lot of work to disassemble the lower part of that dash to get to the wiring though.

10. Apr 25, 2012 at 6:25 PM
    tacomafide

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Glad to hear your making progress!
    The wiring might be ok. The device could have the short. Not sure how to test it as I have never seen one loose.

11. Apr 25, 2012 at 7:53 PM
    pdrunk

pdrunk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 2.7L
    Put a wedding ring on it and the fuse blowing will definitely stop :D

When i first got my bike the taillight fuse would blow intermittently. First thought was grounding at the taillight housing. Tested for continuity and all was good. Eventually I just jiggled some wires I knew were connected to that whole circuit. Haven't had a blown fuse since. Probably a ground from a few wires being pinched or rubbed together inside the wiring loom. I didn't want them to replace the entire wiring harness and risk some other mess up.

Electrical issues suck. Good luck and hopefully it'll be an easy, cheap fix.

12. Apr 25, 2012 at 8:05 PM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    dalucca,

You have not said whether you have used the cigarette lighter when the fuse blows. If you do use it and then the fuse blows, it probably is the element in the lighter that is bad. Replace the the whole lighter (the part you pull out to light a cigarette).

13. Apr 26, 2012 at 11:08 AM
    dalucca

dalucca [OP] Member

Member:
    Wolftree my bad....you are correct. It is the cigarette lighter and it is the one that is blowing once I plug in any device. Your answer is what I was looking for....need to hopefully just replace just the lighter part. Thanks.

14. Apr 26, 2012 at 3:53 PM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    I am glad I was able to help. I did not want to see you tear apart your dash only to find out it was the cigarette lighter element later.

15. Jun 2, 2012 at 9:22 AM
    mtcarrio

mtcarrio Active Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport
    Skid plate, debadged
    My IG10A fuse continues to burn out. It started 1 month ago, i replaced the fuse with some cheap ones from Home Depot, but the fuse has blown three times since then.

I have the no chime mod and I hooked up some aux reverse lights directly to the oem reverse power.

Any thoughts??? Is it likely the aux reverse?? OOhh and now after this third fuse blown, the check eng light has come on, wtf!??

Products Discussed in

To Top