Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Fuses keep blowing

Old 04-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
dalucca is on a distinguished road
dalucca's Tacoma Gallery
Fuses keep blowing

For the past couple of days I have been blowing a couple of fuses for some unknown reason. I have done no mods and not touched a thing on my '06 Tacoma. The fuses are #29 (Power Outlets) and #10 (Turn-Hazard). Not sure how I could have gotten a short if that is the case.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
Cheese it in there!
tacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant future

Name: Sean
tacomafide's Tacoma Gallery
Sucks dude. Here is a link to some free wiring diagrams. If they are popping as soon as you turn ign on that sucks. Short to ground. If they are not popping until a certain device is switched on that's a little better cause you can pinpoint what has the short.
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/
Good luck!
Hope u have access to a meter!
Old 04-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
dalucca's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks.....it happens after some time after I replace them and not at startup. Need to see what item is popping the fuse.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
Cheese it in there!
tacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant futuretacomafide has a brilliant future

Maybe there is something getting moved when you go over a bump and creating a temporary short. Wiggle the shit out of all the wiring harnesses and connectors. Its most likely not a time related issue ie. it pops after 14.25 minutes.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
dalucca's Tacoma Gallery
Okay...figured out the issue is with fuse #29 only and only with the left cigarette lighter. The fuse will blow after start up and not on start up. Do I need to replace the wiring for that lighter only or what may be the cause. Have done no modifications to the vehicle when it comes to anything electrical.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #6
Cheese it in there!

Before bucking up for new anything it prolly wouldn't hurt to trace the wiring out. Look for damage such as wiring getting pinched. Check connections at both ends. I would assume it goes to drivers kick panel and then to lighter. I would have to check diagrams. I know it's a pain in the arse but ur gonna have to do it anyway if you run new wire.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #7
dalucca's Tacoma Gallery
But both lighters work off the same fuse. Could only the plugin part of the lighter have gone bad? It for sure is only the left one and nothing has ever been touched in that area.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
Three Percenter
SampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Steve
SampleFool's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalucca View Post
But both lighters work off the same fuse. Could only the plugin part of the lighter have gone bad? It for sure is only the left one and nothing has ever been touched in that area.
If you mean the plugin part is touching something and grounding out. I like to put electrical tape around all my connections, bumps can move wires together and short. When you look you see nothing touching so you think its ok.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #9
dalucca's Tacoma Gallery
So hard to say as I have only pulled the lighter part out and the wiring at quick glance looks okay. I will try and take a closer look.....looks like a lot of work to disassemble the lower part of that dash to get to the wiring though.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:25 PM   #10
Cheese it in there!

Glad to hear your making progress!
The wiring might be ok. The device could have the short. Not sure how to test it as I have never seen one loose.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #11
pdrunk is on a distinguished road
pdrunk's Tacoma Gallery
Put a wedding ring on it and the fuse blowing will definitely stop

When i first got my bike the taillight fuse would blow intermittently. First thought was grounding at the taillight housing. Tested for continuity and all was good. Eventually I just jiggled some wires I knew were connected to that whole circuit. Haven't had a blown fuse since. Probably a ground from a few wires being pinched or rubbed together inside the wiring loom. I didn't want them to replace the entire wiring harness and risk some other mess up.

Electrical issues suck. Good luck and hopefully it'll be an easy, cheap fix.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #12
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
dalucca,

You have not said whether you have used the cigarette lighter when the fuse blows. If you do use it and then the fuse blows, it probably is the element in the lighter that is bad. Replace the the whole lighter (the part you pull out to light a cigarette).
Old 04-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
dalucca's Tacoma Gallery
Wolftree my bad....you are correct. It is the cigarette lighter and it is the one that is blowing once I plug in any device. Your answer is what I was looking for....need to hopefully just replace just the lighter part. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #14
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
I am glad I was able to help. I did not want to see you tear apart your dash only to find out it was the cigarette lighter element later.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #15
mtcarrio is on a distinguished road
mtcarrio's Tacoma Gallery
Similar problem with blown fuse

My IG10A fuse continues to burn out. It started 1 month ago, i replaced the fuse with some cheap ones from Home Depot, but the fuse has blown three times since then.

I have the no chime mod and I hooked up some aux reverse lights directly to the oem reverse power.

Any thoughts??? Is it likely the aux reverse?? OOhh and now after this third fuse blown, the check eng light has come on, wtf!??