1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Initial thoughts on my 2012...comparing to my '07 Ridgeline.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 12Tac, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Apr 23, 2012 at 8:58 PM
    12Tac

12Tac [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2020 Double Cab, Long-bed TRD Off Road.
    SnugTop, FN Wheels, Meso Custom, Tacos4Cheap
    Hi Everyone,

I've had my 2012 double cab for about a month now. This is my first Toyota after years of having Hondas. Civics, CR-Vs and a Ridgeline. I've grown accustom to reliability and dependability of Honda. I hope my Tacoma is as reliable.

Initially I love the truck. It rides well, quiet and functional. The fit and finish is probably on par with my Ridgeline. My driver side door seems to need more force to shut completely that what I'm used to. Could be just my Tacoma or indicative to Toyotas...I don't know. My Ridgline had a 3.5L V6 and I was getting around 15 mpg around town and 20-21 on the highway. So far my Tacoma is getting nearly 18mpg in town and about 21, nearly 22 on the highway. Impressive IMO.

Backseat room in comparison to the Ridge is much less. Storage is certainly less than the Ridge. There are some nice things in the Tacoma I do like better. A pet peeve would be the door handles of the Ridge...like the Tacoma much better. The ride and quietness of the Tacoma is much better than the Ridgeline. Transmission seems better than the Ridgeline. Doesn't shift as harshly as the Ridge in city traffic. I've also noticed that when the Tacoma is in cruse on the highway its not shifting up or down as much as my Ridge. Probably due to better torque.

Yes, the Tacoma is a truck where the Ridge doesn't have the rear differential as a 'truck' or the Tacoma. The Ridge was 'auto 4x4' with FWD as a default. The Tacoma rear wheel drive until 4WD engaged. IMO the Tacoma is better in this regard. In past winters with heavy snow and ice I felt comfortable and secure in the Ridgeline. That vehicle never left me stuck in a ditch or off on the side of the road due to weather conditions. I haven't had the opportunity to experience the Tacoma in such conditions, but I suspect it will be on par if not better in heavy snow or icy conditions.

Some minor things I miss from my Ridgeline. Holding down the unlock on the Ridgeline remote rolled down all four windows. Nice when you're trying to air out the vehicle on a hot day. Rear sliding window on the Ridge was remote controlled. Don't know why Toyota can't do that by default. Loved the in bed trunk storage. You can fit two full-size golf bags, a full cooler and even a full size person there. The storage capacity was awesome. Under-seat storage in the Ridgeline (back seat) was impressive. Speed sensitive sound was a nice feature as well.

Toyota - love the ride and quietness of the vehicle. Automatic transmission seems more refined, smoother shifting. Overall ride and comfort better than the Ridge. Tie down and rails of the Tacoma are fantastic. Wish the storage bins were lockable by default and larger, or more of them. Like the full-size spare on my Tacoma. The Ridge had the 40mph spare.

Radio, head rests are nicer and more functional. I have the stock radio and sound system and have been impressed with it. Others have noted problems or dislikes, but I think its a good system for a factory/XM radio. It does move some air.

Backup camera is much better IMO than either nothing or these backup 'sensors' on other vehicles. With as long as my Tacoma is (double cab long bed) this is a must and a nice amenity.

Love the comfort of the Tacoma seats...they don't move! My Ridgeline seats had a tendency to move when accelerating or stopping quickly.

Edited --- forgot to add that the interior of the Toyota...non-leather is IMO better than the Ridge. Dash finish, door panels are probably on par, but I do like the instrument panel and dash of the Tacoma better. Seats are nicer in the Tacoma and will probably stand up better due to their water repelling treatment. Just more comfortable too.

Bottom line...glad I got into a Tacoma and am looking forward to many years with this vehicle.

12Tac

2. Apr 23, 2012 at 9:07 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    good comparison, welcome to TW.

edit: just noticed you've been around a while, oh well welcome anyway :laugh:

3. Apr 23, 2012 at 9:09 PM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    Good read, I was wondering what people thought of the Ridgeline compared to the Yota. For some reason a lot of people put them in the same category ... I guess I see it more as a SUV vs. Truck.

4. Apr 23, 2012 at 9:10 PM
    Detective_Dan

Detective_Dan "Place original and witty user title here"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Beast / 2016 Yamaha FZ-07
    Pelfreybilt Front Plate Bumper, Brute Force Fab High Clearance Rear Bumper, Pelfreybilt Sliders, OME 886/Dakars, SCS F5's, 33" Ko2's, Cobra 75WXST/3' Firestik, oil catch can, aero turbine 2525, rear differential breather extension, bedmat, weathertech digital fit front/rear, BHLM, custom shiftknob (made by me),
    Your Tacoma should have speed sensitive sound theough the stereo. It's called ASL. Stands for Automatic Stereo Level. Just go through the settings and you should find it. Mine has it but I hate it

5. Apr 23, 2012 at 9:11 PM
    12Tac

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Thanks...not bad mouthing Honda or Toyota obviously. I don't think, with the exception (perhaps) of Ford, I don't like the domestic truck manufactures. I have driven Chevy, Dodge and Ford and wouldn't spend the money on any of them. Ford...today...maybe.

12Tac

6. Apr 23, 2012 at 9:13 PM
    12Tac

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Honda did a good job with the Ridge. Has some nice features, but its not a truck. I don't think it would hold up as well with off roaring. In fact there are places I would not take a Ridgeline because I don't think its transmission and ground clearance would hold up. Everyday snow, light off roading, sure.

12Tac

7. Apr 23, 2012 at 9:19 PM
    sonocotaco

sonocotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Rohnert Park
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport AC 4x4 Super White
    Congrats on your TRUCK. Better looking too. The TRD Offroad rides better than the Ridgeline? This truck rides a lot better than the reviews would have you believe. I read too many negative reviews and I don't agree. It ain't perfect. Good choice and enjoy.

8. Apr 23, 2012 at 9:27 PM
    12Tac

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    I've got the TRD Sport package..yes rides much better than the Ridge. I was told by my dealer that the Toyota would be stiff, some would say uncomfortable. I disagree. Its nice and easy for long trips.

12Tac

9. Apr 23, 2012 at 9:29 PM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    11 MGM DCLB TRD Sport +leather
    Rear camera anytime switch, 4x4 Illuminated Switch (from rcbs204) , rear view mirror lift bracket (from ImMrYo), 75 cent tailgate anti-theft. Technically not mods but give me a break I'm trying to fill space here... OEM Leather pkg, keyless unlock & ACC chime silence, BakFlip G2, Ultra Gauge EM, WeatherTech floor mats, OEM roof rack
    Congrats on the purchase... nice write up.. first I've seen on here about the Ridgeline, although I never actively searched either.
    I came from 9 years of driving Hondas before the Tacoma... I had great luck with the Honda cars. When I decided I wanted a truck, they tried to talk me into the Ridgeline... Personally, I could never get by the looks of it.
    I didn't think the guy was going to let me go .. I was getting a bit irritated by the end of it and had to finally tell him I thought it was ugly. That worked. :D

10. Apr 23, 2012 at 9:42 PM
    sonocotaco

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Rohnert Park
    Vehicle:
    I love the Sport!. I traded my 07 Offroad and I noticed right off the bat how much smoother the sport rode on the test drive. No complaints about the offroad though!

11. Apr 23, 2012 at 9:47 PM
    sonocotaco

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Rohnert Park
    Vehicle:
    Kinda kicking myself for not getting the longbed.

12. Apr 23, 2012 at 9:49 PM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    11 MGM DCLB TRD Sport +leather
    Rear camera anytime switch, 4x4 Illuminated Switch (from rcbs204) , rear view mirror lift bracket (from ImMrYo), 75 cent tailgate anti-theft. Technically not mods but give me a break I'm trying to fill space here... OEM Leather pkg, keyless unlock & ACC chime silence, BakFlip G2, Ultra Gauge EM, WeatherTech floor mats, OEM roof rack
    How'd you decide the first time?

13. Apr 23, 2012 at 9:55 PM
    sonocotaco

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Rohnert Park
    Vehicle:
    My 1st was an access cab. I'm cool with it now. Got a bed extender:).

14. Apr 23, 2012 at 10:05 PM
    sonocotaco

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Rohnert Park
    Vehicle:
    Nice color choice on the Spruce. Esp. with the sport! One of my coworkers has a purple Ridgeline.

15. Apr 24, 2012 at 12:59 AM
    tractng

tractng Well-Known Member

Member:
    Very accurate comparison. My neighbor bought a used Ridgeline. The trunk storage is huge. The tailgate could open up/down or could swing out.

Rear seats with plenty of room. I didn't care too much for his leather seats.

16. Apr 24, 2012 at 4:43 AM
    StickShifty

StickShifty Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC 4WD 6SPD
    Nice review.

"The Ridge was 'auto 4x4' with FWD as a default." << That is shocking!

17. Apr 24, 2012 at 6:57 AM
    Bama_TACO

Bama_TACO ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!

Member:
    Winfield, AL
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner Double Cab TRD SPORT
    We had a Ridgeline a few years back. It was my wife's favorite vehicle. It served us well towing our boat and serving as our family vehicle. The 3.5 did lack torque and I hated how it was constantly shifting on the highway with the cruise set. Storage was awesome, especially the in bed storage. I could fold the back seat up and put my road bike in it without a problem. Electric sliding back glass was nice as well. All that being said, I like my Tacoma better. I actually feel like I'm driving a truck. And the Tacoma kills the Ridgeline in the looks department. I never could get over the design of the bed sides on the Ridgeline.

18. Apr 24, 2012 at 7:06 AM
    Grundletaint

Grundletaint Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 crewmax tundra 4x4
    Debadged, derped, weathertech visors, antennax, tinted, need more money
    Congrats. Join us in the double cab long bed thread with some pics!

19. Apr 24, 2012 at 7:12 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Wait, ride quality and quietness is better in the Tacoma? That's very surprising, for all of the Ridgeline's unibody chassis and independent suspension.

20. Apr 24, 2012 at 7:44 AM
    jprovence

jprovence Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Albany
    Vehicle:
    11' Tacoma TRD
    Stock
    Nice write up, but comparing apples to oranges. It shares much more inline with a mid-size crossover SUV then an actual truck. I suspect you've wanted a truck all along. It's built on the Acura MDX and Honda Pilot.

Products Discussed in

To Top