Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

My issue or the dealer's issue...Rubbing

Old 04-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
AllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to behold
AllMountainToy's Tacoma Gallery
My issue or the dealer's issue...Rubbing

First off, I have to say that my dealership has taken very good care of me and any issues I have had with my 2011 DC OR.

Looking for some opinions (and I know there are a ton out there)....

I purchased my truck new from the dealer. The dealer installed (via 4WPs) a 2.25 pro comp strut top plate spacer (not coil spacer) and had the cab mounts properly cut, fenders trimmed, etc. The issue is I am still getting major rubbing on my driver side front even when driving into "steep" driveways. None on the passenger side. there is no further trimming that can be done since the tire is rubbing against one of the body seems.

The only way to solve the issue is either by getting smaller tires (currently have 285/70R 17s BFG ATs) or increasing my lift (with 5100s or other coilover lift)

My question..Since I bought it from the dealer this way and all the lift components are covered under a 5 year warranty, should the dealer resolve the rubbing issue on their dime? or me on my dime?

Again...I have no complaints with this dealer.

Thanks
Old 04-24-2012, 05:06 AM   #2
Canazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
Canazes9's Tacoma Gallery
what wheels are you running?
Old 04-24-2012, 05:14 AM   #3
Old Sheepdog
Primersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Primersinmyshoe's Tacoma Gallery
I would try the dealer first. If they thought the parts would not have worked, they wouldn't have put them on. Be nice, polite, and see what happens.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:22 AM   #4
He who walk with a Cane
CoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gramps
CoTacoTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Did you buy it new or used? I cannot believe the dealer would do the cab mount chop on a new truck and try to sell it as new.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #5
spithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
spithead051's Tacoma Gallery
I would talk to the dealer. If they installed it, they need to deal with the issues it is having
Old 04-24-2012, 06:44 AM   #6
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
you need to be about .75" taller

for 285's you need at least 2.5" of lift

the issue is you bought a truck with a shitty lift. get rid of the pro crap and get either billys with a .5" top plate spacer or some coilovers.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #7
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Did the dealer tell you those would fit? If they did, make them honor their word. Lose that ball joint damaging top plate spacer and get a 3" lift.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #8
AllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for all the comments.

1. Yes I bought it new...only 40 miles on it.
2. The dealer did have Four Wheel parts do the cab mount chop and trimming
3. Yes the dealer put everything on it. It was on the lot like that when I bought it.
4. Wheels are XD Addict Wheels..http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/XD...06&t_pl=100249

Will have to see what the backspacing is on them.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #9
Update

So Toyota, DSI (dealer services international) and 4WPs took pretty good care of me and the issue. IMO

Today they offered to replace the 2.25 pro comp spacers with the pro-comp 3" suspension lift. Between parts and labor it would have been close to if not over $1000. My out of pocket is only $240.

I understand that the pro comp lift is not top of the line and has been known to ride rough; however, it is better than the spacer lift that doesn't clear the 33s and has broken my fender flare on driver side.

I am hoping that my undercover winch mount and 8k warn will make the front springs ride a bit softer on the road.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #10
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
the pro comp will be better than the spacer
Old 05-02-2012, 09:07 PM   #11
Thanks Anthony. This is what I am hoping.

I hope to avoid having the ALL put on. Hoping the TSB will make it almost level (with the weight of the winch and mount). I have been hearing so many stories about drive line vibes after blocks and AALs.

Is it safe to assume the pro comp shocks are better than the factory TRD Bilsteins?
Old 05-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #12
DATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud of
DATZ WEAKSAUCE's Tacoma Gallery
im a dealer tech for honda i dont know how toyota works but with honda any aftermarket part installed would be at your risk if it worked or not but hey it doesnt hurt to call them up and see what they can do for you but they might just tell you to run a smaller tire wich dealer do u go to in nor cal?
Old 05-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DATZ WEAKSAUCE View Post
im a dealer tech for honda i dont know how toyota works but with honda any aftermarket part installed would be at your risk if it worked or not but hey it doesnt hurt to call them up and see what they can do for you but they might just tell you to run a smaller tire wich dealer do u go to in nor cal?
Thanks Datz. These components were all installed by the dealer with a 5 year warranty. I showed up on the lot and the truck was on display like that. It is piercey Toyota in milpitas. They are great.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #14
DATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud of
DATZ WEAKSAUCE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllMountainToy View Post
Thanks Datz. These components were all installed by the dealer with a 5 year warranty. I showed up on the lot and the truck was on display like that. It is piercey Toyota in milpitas. They are great.
if thats how it came off the lot then they would for shure get it taken care of