Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Seeking suggestions and advice about a radio dash/cover

Old 04-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
tommyg29 is on a distinguished road

tommyg29's Tacoma Gallery
Seeking suggestions and advice about a radio dash/cover - Finally Just Did it

I am thinking of my first custom mod for my new truck, and I cant find where anyone has made anything like it. I could be wrong .
At midday, sunlight shines straight down onto the face of my radio and controls. I want to build a vinyl type cover that closely matches the dash color and texture, and attaches across the top of the center radio/controls area. It would be a lip that juts out about 2-3", and slightly arches across from one side to the other...about 17" long across the top, plus a 1" return on each end, and attached with double sided tape or velcro. There is about a 3/4" lip that it could attach to, butting up against the dash, and it would hook around each end for stability.
Thinking of a semi stiff bendable core wrapped with a heavy quality gray vinyl and with stitching along the front.
Anyone seen anything like that? And, is that part of the top of the radio stack in the the 2012's identical to all prior 2nd gens?
I will scrap together a simple prototype and post some pictures by next week.
Thanks again for any input.

PS
I wish either the main gauges were more recessed or the dash over the gauge pod covered them better. The silver gauge trim reflects up onto the windshield.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
Never A Bad Time To Ride!
markair is a glorious beacon of lightmarkair is a glorious beacon of lightmarkair is a glorious beacon of lightmarkair is a glorious beacon of lightmarkair is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Mark
markair's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to markair
I don't know about an entire dash cover, but I was looking for a "visor" for the radio/CD display 2008 4doorToyTacSport. I typically use the steering wheel controls and I can't see the display when driving.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by markair View Post
I don't know about an entire dash cover, but I was looking for a "visor" for the radio/CD display 2008 4doorToyTacSport. I typically use the steering wheel controls and I can't see the display when driving.
Thats what Im talking about. Call it a radio visor then...good word.
I am putting something together...I cut out a formable piece of plastic, which I am going to have covered in upholstery foam and gray vinyl, with some stitching, and hope to have it installed by next week. It's 17" wide and about 3" deep. Ill post some pictures then.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #4

almost done fabbing something up.
Next I have an idea to add a larger flat top surface to the armrest/console lid. I came from a dodge ram, and the one thing I dont like about the taco interior is how I have little to no room to store things in that console, and especially have little room to use that lid surface as a handy writing or miscellaneous use surface for my office on wheels. In my ram it was almost like a desktop.
Heck, I cant even sit at a job site and have a decent place to set my sandwich while I'm eating lunch.
I will fab up something that attaches to the top, has maybe a 40-50% larger surface area, flat (the oem lid is curved), and comes out about 2" farther forward. Maybe even build in a fold out storage area for a few papers, with the top being a comfortable vinyl surface.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #5

Finally got around to doing it.
Had an upholstery shop cover it with black vinyl, with stitching across the front. Screwed it into the dash with 2 black trim screws on top.
Only wish now is I made it maybe an inch deeper to shroud the radio face just a tad more. Oh well. It does the job well enough, at a cost of about $10 in materials and $35 for the upholsterer.
I used about 22g aluminum sheet, sandwiched top and bottom with plastic I cut from the lid of a plastic storage bin. The width was perfect with the 1" tabs on each end. The key is cutting everything to the right shape. Then had the upholsterer add padding and stitched vinyl.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
thelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant future
Coast Guard: Marine Science Tech
Name: paul
thelivestone's Tacoma Gallery
that looks like a really comfy shifter to hold on to lol
Old 04-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #7

Thanks,
I actually got it from a guy a few years ago in Huntsville. He was trying to mass produce them in different colors, and I was consulting him on marketing them, but he ended up passing away just before he was able to really tool up. He only made about a thousand, and he gave me a couple after touring his shop.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
That visor is pretty awesome.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
RobRoy is on a distinguished road

RobRoy's Tacoma Gallery
Digging it!
Old 04-30-2013, 04:35 PM   #11

Not hard to do.
Just cut out a piece of cardboard about 5" x 20" and bend it to shape, including tabs on each end (about 1-1.5") for support, and scissor it up until you have a good template to cut the sheet aluminum with some sheers, and then youll be half way there.
I could probably make one again in an hour, not including the upholstery, but you know how that goes. Every time you do something it gets a lot easier, to a point.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #12

Close up
It sticks out about 2.5-3 inches

Old 05-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #13
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
are you going to sell these? I'd be interested in a carbon fiber one
Old 05-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #14
20taco10 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jesse
20taco10's Tacoma Gallery
I'd buy it. make 10 and sell them. how much?
Old 05-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #15
20taco10 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jesse
20taco10's Tacoma Gallery
I'd buy it. make 10 and sell them. how much?
Old 05-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #16

I could probably make some, but would probably have to charge over $50 to make any money.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #17
:D
Jux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Jux's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyg29 View Post
I could probably make some, but would probably have to charge over $50 to make any money.
So ... About $5 more than you said it cost you and I don't have to put in the time or try to find an upholstery place?

... Got a sign up list?
Old 07-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #19
TheBeast is on a distinguished road
TheBeast's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in for one too...doooo it!!