1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

APPRADIO 2

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by benbacher, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Apr 25, 2012 at 6:47 PM
    benbacher

benbacher [OP] Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    UPDATE

I have installed the APPRADIO 2!

Let me know what you guys want to see? I can take video or photos or whatever you need. I love this thing. Seems to do everything I need it to do and it does it all really well. Couldn't be happier. Thanks to Syntonization for helping me out again with the install.

Anyone know anything about these or have one installed? I love the form and function of it, just not sure of audio quality. I would eventually like to build my system for a clean, crisp sound (loud but not booming), and am curious if this will either help or hinder it. Thanks!:)
    [​IMG]

here's a link to the specs

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/AppRadio/AppRadio+2+(SPH-DA100))

2. Apr 26, 2012 at 8:38 AM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
    Morning bump, somebody has to know SOMETHING about this. If not I guess I'm curious why more people don't have them. Touch screen full iPod/iPhone connectivity and usage through the HU. Seems
    Like its everythin I'd want. Just looking to get some opinions.

3. Apr 26, 2012 at 8:44 AM
    JaimeDawg

JaimeDawg make me a sammich

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaime
    Las Cruces, NM
    Vehicle:
    2011 trd off-road prerunner custom paint
    black saphire metalic paint with TRD off-road chameleon, 8000k hids on headlights and fogs, led map lights, led corner lights, saftey first baby seat mod in backseat, white/amber drls, devil horn emblems, trd seat covers, trd cai (old version)
    Link isn't working...

4. Apr 26, 2012 at 8:46 AM
    bdawson0801

bdawson0801 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DC
    I've actually looked into getting one of these myself. They're pretty nice I played with one at bestbuy for a little bit, managed to get it synced up to my android phone its pretty fluid. I know CD's are becoming a thing of the past I still can't come to terms with buying a dash that wouldn't let me use a CD. Plus as far as I know it lacks XM capabilities so that's another big turn off for me. Last thing that was a good point from the BB sales rep was that (much like the new entune systems) this runs completely off of your smartphone, so obviously you need a smartphone and second you wouldn't get to enjoy using pandora for very long without an unlimited data plan. Same goes for the maps and POI searches.

5. Apr 26, 2012 at 4:57 PM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
    I do have the unlimited data, (grandfathered in from cellular one) so that wouldn't be an issue for me, just curious why its so much cheaper than the high end pioneer avic series. When I do my Sunroof the same place can install this so I'd like to get an idea before summertime really hits.

6. Apr 26, 2012 at 5:09 PM
    Voodoochild 2k9

Voodoochild 2k9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    Undercover SE; DD Pioneer Radio
    I don't think you can go wrong with pioneer. They don't really make junk.

7. Apr 26, 2012 at 5:59 PM
    JaimeDawg

JaimeDawg make me a sammich

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaime
    Las Cruces, NM
    Vehicle:
    2011 trd off-road prerunner custom paint
    black saphire metalic paint with TRD off-road chameleon, 8000k hids on headlights and fogs, led map lights, led corner lights, saftey first baby seat mod in backseat, white/amber drls, devil horn emblems, trd seat covers, trd cai (old version)
    link doesnt work on mobile for some reason... now that im on my laptop it does :notsure:

8. Apr 26, 2012 at 7:08 PM
    mytundra77

mytundra77 Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab Taco
    I have the pioneer x940bt and it has app radio ...the only thing I like about it is that it shows traffic. Interface for app radio is ok but I don't use it that often.

9. Apr 26, 2012 at 7:11 PM
    2011BlackTaco

2011BlackTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    11 Prerunner
    6 inch Pro Comp lift kit, 18" XD Monster rims, 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers, Smittybilt black step bars
    sub'd also interested it seems like a good radio but id like to know more like the OP

10. Apr 27, 2012 at 7:09 AM
    timothytpb63

timothytpb63 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Southcoast, Mass
    Vehicle:
    '10 Reg Cab 4x4
    I installed this unit in my truck last weekend. I don't think too many people have it yet, because it just came out a couple of weeks ago.

I can't speak to the sound quality because I have it installed in a regular cab with stock speakers. It is better than the stock radio, but I don't think that is saying much.

The one thing I wasn't ready for is that the compatible apps don't necessarily function solely from the stereo's screen. For most of the apps I have tried, there is some interaction with the iPhone required. For example, on the MotionX Nav app, destinations need to be typed on the iPhone. I was hoping to throw the iPhone in the glovebox when I got in the truck. Instead, I bought a universal smartphone mount and placed it on the bottom left corner of the windshield.

The Pandora app is very well integrated, but again you need to start it from the iPhone or tap allow, if the radio tells the iphone to start. You can listen to Pandora without exiting a navigation app by double clicking the home screen, but the controls are limited. I have not figured out a way to change the station while the navigation app is primary on the screen. You would have to exit the navigation app, start the pandora app, then go back into the navigation app.

The speakerphone works pretty well. I ran the microphone wire behind the A-Pillar trim and mounted the mircrophone at the top of the trim using the included 3M mounting tape. The only negative feedback I have received on that microphone placement is that it picks up the noise of the defroster.

If you are trying to do a clean install, you might be a little disappointed with the Pioneer iPhone cable. They use a proprietary cable with the Apple dock connector on one end and their input connector on the other. I haven't figured out a way to splice this to use a Prius or Tundra aux input jack. If they used a standard USB connector, I'm sure I could do it.

11. Apr 27, 2012 at 1:10 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    If it's made by Pioneer then it's definitely not junk. It certainly looks interesting. My AVIC-D3 is starting to show its age and this might fit the bill. If it was solely an Android system I'd jump on it.

12. Apr 27, 2012 at 2:51 PM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
    [​IMG]

I was thinking about doing something like this guy did for the iPhone mounting solution. I don't mind it being out, as long as there are no cables showing. I would definitely turn this around and put it just in front of the shifter though, making the screen accessible. Charges and everything.

13. May 7, 2012 at 7:00 PM
    hondarider215

hondarider215 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    KR Tacoma
    KR Fabrication front and rear bumper ICON 2.5 c/o's All pro leafs Maxtrac Fox rear resi shocks Lr uca 17" methods

Can anybody tell me what mount that is in the picture? I want to do the same thing for my appradio.

14. May 7, 2012 at 8:27 PM
    Tactical Tacoma

Tactical Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    ARB air compressor, ARB rear air locker, sPOD switch panel in sunglass holder, OME Front & rear shocks, 885x coils, Dakar leaf springs, Icon tubular UCA's, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust, aFe Pro Dry, TRD Sport wheels powder coated anthracite, FJ TRD center caps, Thule roof rack, 886 fog lights for reverse light mod, CSjumper LED DTRL's, Nokya Yellow fogs, plastidipped lower valence, Weathertechs, Wet Okoles. And MANY MORE MODS, READ BUILD!
    I did something like this on my 09 Sport Prerunner. Wire still showed but it worked great because the screen was facing me at the perfect angle and it was positioned perfectly for my right hand when my forearm was resting on the armrest. Just and idea

[​IMG]

15. May 8, 2012 at 9:04 PM
    Copasetic

Copasetic New Member

Member:
    MA/NH
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
  16. May 8, 2012 at 10:44 PM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
    ^^^^^^
    This.
    Amazing. I'm getting the appradio in a few weeks. 599 installed w/ all the equipment and harnesses and such. Not a bad deal I think. I'll have more info then to post on here. No moving parts in here, I'm hoping that means less things to fail and this thing lasts the life of winnifred the stormtrooper.

17. May 8, 2012 at 11:13 PM
    Tactical Tacoma

Tactical Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    ARB air compressor, ARB rear air locker, sPOD switch panel in sunglass holder, OME Front & rear shocks, 885x coils, Dakar leaf springs, Icon tubular UCA's, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust, aFe Pro Dry, TRD Sport wheels powder coated anthracite, FJ TRD center caps, Thule roof rack, 886 fog lights for reverse light mod, CSjumper LED DTRL's, Nokya Yellow fogs, plastidipped lower valence, Weathertechs, Wet Okoles. And MANY MORE MODS, READ BUILD!
    FYI I used Velcro to hold my mount and it worked great and was completely reversible last weekend when I traded up.

18. May 9, 2012 at 12:01 AM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
    IIRC he said it was cut out from a iPod dock for a radio transmitter. The kind that hold the iPod in place and has a flexible arm to your 12 volt plug. Any ihome dock would do as well

19. May 9, 2012 at 12:12 AM
    Cortland

Cortland THIS IS AMERICA!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cortland
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Clifford aka Big Red
    Camburg 4" Spindles, 5100's All Around, All-Pro 1.5" Leaf Pack, All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit, Avid Sliders, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Wicked Flow 18" Muffler
    That thing is sweet!

20. May 9, 2012 at 12:17 AM
    Twistedfreedom

Twistedfreedom welcome to the incredibuild

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    in progress
    modded the F*ck out
    this will be my next HU.