1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ever come close to scraping lifted truck in low garage?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by aficianado, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Apr 28, 2012 at 10:01 AM
    aficianado

aficianado [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    Phew. Came close yesterday. And my trick is barely lifted. I almost put my bike racks hard into concrete. Mall parking lot started to neck down in the back. I noted all the previous scrapes on the ceiling and stopped. I had about two inches. I backed up.

Has to happen. Ever seen it?

2. Apr 28, 2012 at 10:09 AM
    broken taco

broken taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    San Diego / Houston
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD SR5 4WD
    Trail gear 3 Link Solid Axle Swap kit, 14 " Fox coil overs with reservoirs up front, Chevy 63 leaf spring swap with ruff stuffs Chevy 63 swap kit, 14 "Fox shocks on the rear, 37" tires, Custom front bumper by Next Venture Motor Sports with a warn winch, glassworks unlimited fender flares, custom rock rails with kickups (modeled after Relentless Fab Rock sliders), rear bumper from streetacos.com (with custom rap around protection for fiberglass fenders and the hitch receiver hidden behind the license plate that is on hinges), HID off road lights on front bumper, rigid pods on rear bumper with red back lighting, high lift mounted in the bed, onboard air, Flowmaster muffler, aftermarket air intake, alarm system, Alpine Deck, Alpine amp, Alpine speakers, JL W6 12" subwoofer, JL amp.
    my dad has a lifted FJ with a rack and a shovel on top of the rack and ive driven into garages and had the shovel that's on the rack hit the bars that they hang down to warn you before you go into the garage

3. Apr 28, 2012 at 10:09 AM
    MsTRD

MsTRD hell yes i love my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Samantha
    Rohnert Park, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 White Prerunner TRD Sport
    Yes! My boyfriend and I were staying at a hotel in SF and decided to park in their garage...big mistake! My truck didn't clear the height thing when entering but it was plastic so that wasn't a big deal, and the idiot working in there said we would be fine...the ceiling of the garage was just exposed pipes so the height was pretty inconsistent. Driving out of there I had to have my head out the passenger side window telling my bf where to go to avoid the lower pipes, took us just about forever to get out of there and i felt like i was going to have a heart attack the whole time!

4. Apr 28, 2012 at 10:10 AM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    Come close in my dad's unlifted 07 Tundra Double Cab 8' bed with a shell and a rack. That thing is SOOOOO long.

5. Apr 28, 2012 at 10:16 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Yes, it's another reason not to get a 6" lift.

I am gonna trim my antenna 1" taller than my roof, to act as a ceiling feeler.

6. Apr 28, 2012 at 10:20 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    In my old lifted chebby, could not ever go in parking garages.

7. Apr 28, 2012 at 1:26 PM
    UH60Hwkdrvr

UH60Hwkdrvr Well-Known Member

Member:
    El Paso, TX
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma Limited Nightshade 4x4
    I live in South Korea (where everything automobile related is small) and just recently had a 3" Toytec lift installed. The first thing I did after I received my lifted truck, was to take a height measurement. Anything less than 2m of clearance and it is no joy with the new lift.

M.A.C.

8. Apr 28, 2012 at 1:27 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    my truck doesnt fit in a lot of the parking garages here :(

9. Apr 28, 2012 at 1:46 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I took my company truck into a parking garage down in San Diego. I cleared the bar outside the garage, drove into the garage and parked. We then removed two suitcases from the truck, put them in the hotel room, then went back out to the truck to drive to dinner. I scraped the top of the campershell on the support beams overhead. Thank God it didn't catch the leading edge of the shell, it would have opened the shell up like a can opener!:eek:

I sat in the back of the truck while my co worker drove the truck out of the garage. Apparently a second gen Tacoma sags an entire half inch or so with only a couple of suitcases on board.:rolleyes:

10. Apr 29, 2012 at 1:27 AM
    OverRated

OverRated Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma / TRD-OR / DCSB
    I've scrapped my 3" lifted 4runner with my yakima roof rack once in sf over at a parking garage near the fishermens warf. I ended up taking down the rack on the spot lol

Even though I wasn't scraping anymore it was the worst drive ever looking for parking and being paranoid that I'll hit the roof going up the ramps in the garage.

Products Discussed in

To Top