Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Hellwig 981 EZ990

Old 04-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
TAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Petros "Peter" AGE: 41
TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
Hellwig 981 EZ990

Hello Forum,

I've been looking into Hellwig helper springs & it looks like I will go with:
I am looking for a slight lift AND firming up the rear. Anyone have any experience using these? Pics would be greatly appreciated also. My '08 Double Cab 4.0 Prerunner sits as follows (measured with a full tank of gas):

l.f. 35.25 (thanks to ToyTec 1/4" spacer on top of l.f. strut)
r.f. 35.25
l.r. 36.25
r.r. 36.00

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/...hoto0994-2.jpg

I meaured them by centering the measuring tape on the center of the wheels & from the ground to the bottom of the fender trim. I hope that is the right way. My truck looks level & I think 2"'s is too much. If this Hellwig kit gives 1" of lift that would be awesome. I had the the EZ 550's for a week (I took them off because they had used ubolts) & it raised the rear end slightly. I like that the EZ 990 is almost as an AAL but not as high of a lift.

Thanks
Old 04-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
TAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
Also,

Do I need to remove the OEM spring clamps?

Do I open them so that the helper spring sits in them & then close them up?

or

Do the helper springs bolt over that also?
Old 04-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
I'm interested in these too, or the 550s. From the reading i've been doing, looks like they just bolt right on, no need to take anything off. I'm curious if these make the unloaded ride any harsher. From what I've read about the 550s, they don't.

Did you end up installing them? How do you like them?
Old 04-27-2013, 05:29 AM   #4

TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
Hello bjboucher,

I did buy the 550 and ran them for 5 months. I am currently running TRD springs with an AAL 3 leaf pack. When I had the 550 it gave me 3/4" of lift because I tightened them down to within a 1/2" from contacting the OEM leafs. I had the 2/1 OEM springs at the time.

The only reason I don't have them anymore is because I wanted more lift. As for when I had them. Yes, the ride will be a little stiffer (atleast I noticed it) because you are adding 1/2 of a leaf to your current pack. I loved it. It handled nice. Also, it's a simple bolt on.

But, do you have the 2/1 leaf pack or the 3/1 leaf pack? I am not sure but I think that the 3/1 leaf pack may interfere with the 550 because of the extra leaf clamp location. Check with the vendor before you buy them to make sure they will work. If you have the 2/1 the. No worries.

Again, if it wasn't because I wanted to lift my truck I would still be running them n

Hope this helps.

Petros
Old 04-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #5
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome, thanks!

I do have the 3-1 leafs, so I'll do some looking around.