1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Entune Issues, Tips, Tricks, Updates Lets hear them

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by elytravis, May 1, 2012.

1. May 1, 2012 at 5:41 AM
    elytravis

elytravis [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Always changing...but there is no place like home.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Nautical Blue DCLB TRD Sport
    Black tube steps, Skid plate, Bilstein 6112's front and 5160's rear, Bakflip F1 folding cover, EGR raingaurds, All weather floor mats, AFE pro dry filter, BFG 265 70 R 17 KO2's.
    Hey everybody I have recently purchased a 2012 Tacoma with Entune and have had a little time trying to figure out a few things. It has great potential, but I feel that we can get more info to the masses as we crack into it more. Here we could post questions to others as well as tips and tricks that worked for you that others may benefit from since Toyota dosen't know how to use the system either. I will start.

I had issues with Entune connecting to variouse media like music, internet, and phone. it would connect sometimes and not others. I learned that my username in the dash unit for my Entune system was not complete and needed my full email like the entune site. The reason it was overlooked was that it sometimes worked. After I updated the correct username the connection status has not given me many problems. If it does, I disconnect from the entune App on my phone and connect again through the dash and when re-established all is well. Again this is rarely the case now.

I have noticed that there is no way to search Bing via voice with Entune. Using the Nav functions are somewhat limited and the Bing database is more broad. But I can't search Bing while driving...a little frustrating. my dealer is looking into an update that should be available the end of Spring but is unaware what that may change. Toyota.com also has no real imput due to the fact of how new the system is.

My dealer also told me that the Entune update and Nave database update would be all for ine price which bothered me because I didn't think I would have to pay for entune updates since the upgraded Entune updates itself. We will see when the first update comes out.

Soul Surfer likes this.
  2. May 1, 2012 at 6:22 AM
    Grundletaint

Grundletaint Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 crewmax tundra 4x4
    Debadged, derped, weathertech visors, antennax, tinted, need more money
    I don't really mess with the entune apps much. My dealer did tell me that they'll update maps, etc. during services but didn't say anything about charging for the updates.

3. May 1, 2012 at 6:24 AM
    Terrin81

Terrin81 Active Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Trd Sport DCSB
    Does anyone know if there have been updates? I picked my truck up in December and am about to do the 5k service, but wasn't expecting anything related to that.

I also sporadically have connection issues (I think I isolated it to when I am connected and I reboot my phone) - I primarily use the bluetooth phone since I listen to XM all the time, and I've never had an issue with that.

I've also found that if I try to view weather prior to Pandora, it seems to connect better (could be completely wrong, it just seems that way)

4. May 1, 2012 at 6:41 AM
    elytravis

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Vehicle:
    Black tube steps, Skid plate, Bilstein 6112's front and 5160's rear, Bakflip F1 folding cover, EGR raingaurds, All weather floor mats, AFE pro dry filter, BFG 265 70 R 17 KO2's.
    I was told the first update would be the end of May. My dealer said they will call me personaly when it comes out. With connection problems, if your username and password are correct in the entune dash unit, open the Entune app and click disconnect. When you try to access the entune dash function again it will ask if you would like to connect. Press continue and you shouldn't have anymore problems. I have done this like a reboot at times when I enter the truck and haven't had to do it again in a couple days (since I fixed my username). Hope it helps.

5. May 22, 2012 at 8:37 PM
    meditaciousD

meditaciousD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boca Raton, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 1794 - Tow Vehicle
    Hey TW - newbie here - new tacoma owner (1st toyota and 1st truck) and all is well except the connection issues with entune.

I too have tried to disconnect from the app and then log in via the dash unit. This worked when accessing Pandora for a few days and then reverted back to getting the connection failure or internet issue error messages. Would be great to hear about the availability of any updates from Toyota. I have a brand new motorola droid razor with 4GLTE and excellent reception so I can't imagine its a problem with my phone.

Other than this the truck is kick a$$ and so is all the info on this site. Sub'ed

6. May 23, 2012 at 8:14 AM
    Skycam3

Skycam3 Waiting to see...

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    Flyzeye, Redline hood struts, Demello Sliders, Pelly wrap around light bar, Roll-N-Lock tonneau cover, 2 Hella 700FF, DIY LED light bar(10,000 lumes), LED bed lights.
    Pandora sounds much better if I play it via bluetooth and not through the toyota app. Iphone 3GS...As far as the contacts downloading onto the unit, get a crackberry, they made the software for our systems(I think). I know that someone will chime in if I'm wrong. Hell, ask Chris4x4. He is like Wikipedia for anything Tacoma...

7. May 26, 2012 at 1:10 PM
    shocker7205

shocker7205 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma
    Just talked to Toyota yesterday about the connectivity issue. She said to make sure that I was getting a full 3G on my phone. She suggested that I place my phone so it was getting a full view of the sky. Also I asked about the "late spring" update. She said originally it was to be in May, but its been pushed back to June. She did say that the update will be mailed to each owner to install, so no additional fees!

8. May 26, 2012 at 1:31 PM
    drsus

drsus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    4Runner TRDpro
    stock
    my iPhone put all my contacts on to the entune no problem.
    I haven't had any issues with connecting to entune or using the system. not very impressed with having to use a USB connection to do this, specially traffic in a day where almost all GPS units have traffic on their own.
    I wish it would let you do it via bluetooth like all the other toyotas with entune.

9. May 26, 2012 at 4:52 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    My unit was retarded until I got an update at the dealer 2 weeks ago. Now it is only half retarded. It only toke 3 months and numerous visits to the dealer to get it done.

If they just did an android operating system it would have been a lot better. I think entune is entarded.

10. May 31, 2012 at 7:38 AM
    elytravis

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Vehicle:
    I got this from a prius forum, but it works for us to. To get a diagnostic page on the Entune system do the following:

Truck off
    Lights off
    Foot not on brake
    turn ignition to Accesory and wait until the entune system starts and displays the map
    Press and hold the Setup button
    Turn headlights on then off three times
    Diagnostic page will be displayed.

I didn't find anything useful on this page, but there you go.

If you do the same procedure holding the Apps button you get an equally useful system menu...no help at all for me.

11. May 31, 2012 at 8:21 AM
    Grundletaint

Grundletaint Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 crewmax tundra 4x4
    Debadged, derped, weathertech visors, antennax, tinted, need more money
    I deleted the app from my phone. My opinion is that the only thing useful about entune is the touch screen and upgraded sound.

12. May 31, 2012 at 11:19 AM
    CBrva

CBrva Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Glen Allen, VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Sport DCLB 4x4
    Toytec Boss, LR UCAs, Dakars, FN f(x)pro wheels, ko2
    Hmm... where to start?
    Issues: Pandora app sound quality is horrible. XM reception sucks. Can't view audio screen and navigation map at the same time - no split screen (as you can with the Ford Sync system). Email and text messaging features are only compatible with BlackBerry's or the other few phones that support MAP over Bluetooth. No features to show gas mileage, oil change due, etc. Toyota still has no idea how system updates will be provided to owners.

Just one trick that I found: Hold down the MODE button on the steering wheel for a couple seconds to mute the audio without turning off the head unit. Press volume + to turn audio back on.

I don't really ever use most of the "features". I guess in a couple years when they make me start paying the monthly fee for it, I probably won't unless some major changes are made.

13. May 31, 2012 at 11:31 AM
    elytravis

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Vehicle:

I agree

14. Jun 1, 2012 at 10:50 AM
    CBrva

CBrva Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Glen Allen, VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Sport DCLB 4x4
    Toytec Boss, LR UCAs, Dakars, FN f(x)pro wheels, ko2
    XM trial is 3 months and it will cut off (mine did about 2 weeks after the 3 month period). If you wait long enough they'll offer you a pretty good deal to keep it. But yeah the reception is horrible... Entune trial is 3 years, then it's $5 a month.

15. Jun 1, 2012 at 3:03 PM
    Creese

Creese Member

Member:
    FWA
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Sport UG DC
    I had connectivity issues (Droid Razr) till I had my dealership install the 1.8.4 update and connectivity is pretty seamless. Now I'm just waiting on some functionality w/ the supposed update this summer. Any rumors what's included/addressed? Dealership said it's a pretty big deal but who really knows...

16. Jun 18, 2012 at 5:38 AM
    spins615

spins615 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport
    So I updated my iPhone last week with the new iOS 6 beta and found out something on accident last night.

i was plugged in cause my battery was almost dead, so idk if this will work with being unplugged..haven't tried it yet. But when I'd get a new email and/or text message..the truck displayed "New Text Message" on the screen..which..everyone with an iPhone knows we supposedly cant do that. SOO..I'm curious to see whats going to happen elsewhere with the new software for the iPhone.

I got home after a 4 hour drive at midnight..so my attention span towards this was diminished. but after work I'm going to hop in the truck and play with it and see what happens. I guess the new software has that MAP or whatever it is that crackberry has that allows messages to go over Bluetooth.

I'll let you know tomorrow what i find out :bananadance::bananadance::bananadance:

17. Jun 18, 2012 at 8:37 AM
    Yangster

Yangster Active Member

Member:
    Alpharetta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC, TRD Sport
    I have an iphone 4S and can't get any text or email messages. Does this work for anyone else?

Tacosail likes this.
  18. Jun 19, 2012 at 12:11 PM
    elytravis

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Vehicle:
    Has anybody found info on when the first entune update will be available? I was told the end of May but now it's almost the end of June and still no update.

Tacosail likes this.
  19. Jun 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
  20. Jun 19, 2012 at 12:38 PM
    elytravis

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Vehicle:
    Well I have an appointment on Friday to "update" my entune, but the guy on the phone says only two guys in the shop have been trained but have never done it before so this should be interesting...also, I can't wait to see if they try to charge me for it. I know how to view my current software version,

Setup
    General
    arrow down
    arrow down
    system

software version 1.7.4

I found a prius chat forum that listed a TSB for non HDD entune systems requiring a quick update via thumbdrive at the dealer to version 1.8.4

I will post what happens on Friday...

Products Discussed in

To Top