1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Changes in 2nd Gen from 05-12?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Madmartigan 333, May 1, 2012.

1. May 1, 2012 at 8:26 AM
    Madmartigan 333

Madmartigan 333 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Western Slope, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Super White TRD Off Road
    Hello Everyone,

I am very excited to be here. been a member for about a year drooling over all of your rides! I am shopping for my new Tacoma as we speak. It has been a long awaited event. I finally obtained a real job and am now able to get another tacoma.

The big debate is buying a used or brand new truck. These days, as you all know, tacomas hold their value so well that to me, you might as well just spend the extra 3-5 g's and get a new one.

I would appreciate everyones opinion on the matter. Also, if you know of any signfigant changes through the past couple years. For examle, I could be wrong but I belive 09 and newer have side airbags that you can dis-engage. This like that interest me because i have been t-boned twice in my 98 access cab. No injuries both times, but I like more saftey options

I am pretty specific in what I want: Access cab, TRD Sport/off road, Manual. I will be getting off road quite a bit and looking to make a nice build out of this truck. The diff lockers offered with the off road dont seem like a necessity to me since I never used them in my other tacoma. The hood scoop in the sport is very appealing to me.

Sorry if this message is kinda jambled around. I would really appreciate and information/opinions thrown my way. Thank you so much.

Madmartigan 333

2. May 1, 2012 at 9:15 AM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    Side airbags were optional up until 09 I believe, and they changed the tailights that year too I think. The 2012 just has a facelift and new interior which is nice, but the 05-11 look is way better in my opinion, but to each his own. Good luck shopping and I hope you find what you're looking for!

3. May 1, 2012 at 9:20 AM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    neglect, mostly.
    the 2012 has a new front end
    the 2011 has a honey comb type of mesh in the grill (im sure that's not the "official name")
    when was ATRAC introduced? 2009+?
    prerunner, offroad and sport models offer an auxilery audio input 2009+

a few others, but i think that's about it. am probably missing several things :eek:

4. May 1, 2012 at 9:21 AM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    2009 was probably the single biggest year for new features. The radio has an Aux in, new taillights, new headlights on TRD models, side airbags, new differential (all models have an "LSD" controlled by the brakes, as opposed to the actual LSD in the '05-'08 Sport), A-TRAC in Off-Road models, and the addition of the back-up camera in the rearview mirror.

2012 got the front end redesign and the addition of Entune/nav as an option.

I'm probably missing something, but that should get you started.

5. May 1, 2012 at 9:35 AM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    2005 Tacoma

The new Tacoma was introduced in 2005. It was substantially bigger than the previous version and closer in size to the Tundra. It shares the front frame and some engine and transmissions with the new 4Runner which was introduced in 2003. The front track is about an inch wider than the 4R.
    The line up included regular, access and double cabs with choices of 4x2 or 4x4. Also a new 2.7 VVTi engine or the 4.0 V6 from the 4Runner was offered. Four transmission options are available from 4spd Auto, 5spd stick, 5spd Auto and 6spd stick are available pending on engine and model.
    2005 Tacoma 4x4 Brochure
    2005 Tacoma Technical Specifications

2006 Tacoma

For 2006 there seems to be very little change for the Tacoma. The model line up, styling, trim and specifications seems to be the same as for 2005. Only the engine power ratings have been changed due to the new SAE regulations. New engine specifications are:

• 2.7 159HP @ 5200RPM and 180lb-ft @ 3800RPM
    • V6 236HP @ 5200RPM and 266lb-ft @ 400RPM
    2006 Tacoma 4x4 Brochure

2007 Tacoma

For 2007, new larger seats enhance Tacoma's interior comfort, while a new two-tone instrument panel, redesigned audio head units and new chrome trim around the gauge panel lend a more upscale look. On Access Cab Sport grade models, front seats feature convenient new �walk-in" memory. Drivers can now disengage the Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) system on models so equipped.
    In all 2007 Tacoma models, the standard four-wheel ABS is augmented by EBD and BA. EBD optimizes brake pressure at each wheel independently for greater control under braking, especially when cornering. The Brake Assist system is designed to determine if the driver is attempting emergency braking. If the driver has not pressed firmly enough on the brake pedal to engage the ABS, the system supplements the applied braking power until pedal pressure is released.

All Tacoma models are equipped with the advanced dual-stage airbag system. A front passenger cutoff switch is standard on Access Cab models. Double Cab models offer optional front seat side airbags and roll-sensing side curtain airbags (now with a cutoff switch for 2007). All seating positions on every Tacoma model are equipped with three-point seatbelts.
    2007 Tacoma Brochure

2008 Tacoma

No major changes from the 2007 model year. The only 2 noteworthy changes are the tire pressure monitoring system that now reacts quicker and the seat belt system that will now beep pending on various conditions.
    2008 Tacoma Brochure

2009 Tacoma

A number of additional features are available for 2009 on the Tacoma. These features are not necessarily available on all models, so review the brochure. The features include:

• Full hydraulic brake booster system on some models, with ATRAC, DAC and Hill Start Assist
    • VSC off switch
    • ATRAC and DAC swithces for models equipped with it
    • Max boost function on the A/C
    • Bluetooth on the JBL audio systems
    • Frame reinforcements for rear collisions
    • Door trim panels have been redesigned
    • LED tail lamps
    • Rear view camera with monitor in the rear view mirror
    • New exhaust manifolds on the V6 to reduce noise and vibration
    • LSD rear diff discontinued
    • Shocks and bumpstops have been changed to improve ride
    • Access Cab door latches have been strengthened
    • A number of other small changes

Taken from http://www.toyota120.com/html/tacoma.html

6. May 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM
    resq330

resq330 El' Capi-Tan

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM DCSB TRD-Sport
    K&N Drop-In, Dick Cepek 'Torque' Wheels, Wet Okole Seat Covers, LED Interior
  7. May 1, 2012 at 9:43 AM
    resq330

resq330 El' Capi-Tan

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM DCSB TRD-Sport
    K&N Drop-In, Dick Cepek 'Torque' Wheels, Wet Okole Seat Covers, LED Interior
    The AC seats changed somewhere in there too...maybe 08 or 09. They are not as seen in the picture in the 05 anymore.

8. May 1, 2012 at 9:54 AM
    TACODOC1

TACODOC1 AmericanAdventurist.com

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4WD V6 SR5 TRD Offroad
    See TACODOC.com!
    My 05 has no TPMS and no electronic gizmos like ATRAC or anything else, just an E-Locker :cool:

Subsequent years pile on more and more electronics which I would rather not have. YMMV.

9. May 8, 2012 at 9:30 AM
    Madmartigan 333

Madmartigan 333 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Western Slope, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Super White TRD Off Road
    Thank you all for your help. It is kinda nerve racking buying a new tacoma. Last time I bought a tacoma was 19 and full of piss and vinegar and very impulsive. It worked out great, but now i am aprehensive and want the best.

Products Discussed in

To Top