1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My taco almost got away

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by yellowrubiu, May 1, 2012.

1. May 3, 2012 at 8:23 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    It's typically for use after driving the car hard. The turbo still can be very hot after hard driving. The theory is letting the car run at idle for a bit after hard driving allows the oil to cool and not coke up in the oil lines. If you turn the car off, the oil pump is no longer pumping oil and if the turbo is still very hot, the oil sitting in the turbo can coke up. I know when we were dyno tuning my car, the turbo was getting red hot after a few pulls at full boost. For normal driving..yeah it's probably not necessary.

2. May 3, 2012 at 9:10 AM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    My '87 Toyota truck had a turbo. Several mechanics advised me to let it idle for a bit before turning it off after long drives on hot days for that exact reason.

3. May 3, 2012 at 10:01 AM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    You should always use the lowest gear to restrain the vehicle. One point that was made earlier bears repeating. You should set the brake, let the truck hold on the brake, them engage the transmission. It takes the load off the transmission and may also prevent damage in the event someone bumps your vehicle.

The reason trucks roll after you walk away when using just the tranny to hold them is because they cool. It is the compression in the cylinders that holds the truck. It may feel fine when you get out, but once the engine cools, it's ability to hold compression decreases and the vehicle starts to creep.

I never use the transmission to hold the vehicle at all unless I'm on an incline. In that case I want a back up if the parking cable breaks. I don't want somebody hitting my vehicle and having that impact bear on the drivetrain. When I'm offroad I use a wheel chock.

4. May 3, 2012 at 4:07 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
  5. May 3, 2012 at 8:06 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod

Is that a wheel chock with a wheel chock?:D

Or this?
    [​IMG]

6. May 3, 2012 at 8:18 PM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    Cylinder Compression, at least you'll know if you have low compression because you truck still roll backward right you slap it in first and get out lol. I learned that the hard way.

Products Discussed in

To Top