1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ethanol free gas for 2 weeks

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AWorthyOpponent, May 2, 2012.

1. May 12, 2012 at 8:13 AM
    Raz4back

Raz4back Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Benton, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD Offroad 4x4
    Blacked out badges, Tinted Tail Lights, Fog Light Anytime Mod, Sock Monkey Bedside Decal, Painted Wheels, 20% Tint on Front Windows, 886 Bulb Backup Light Mod, Plasti Dip Rear Bumper (temporary until I get color matched), Color Matched Grill, Front Emblem, Door Handles, Mirrors, Bilstein 5100 all around, front set at 1.75, 1.5 aal, Crossfab light bar with 3 Hella Black Magic 500s, TRS Retrofit with D2S Projectors and Apollo Shrouds, BHLM with color matched Bowls and shrouds, CSJumper LED interior kit, CSJumper LED switchback DTRLs and Side Markers, 17x9 -12 Offset Ballistic Jester Wheels, 255x75x17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
    I decided to try e0 gas on this fill up. I've been averaging 18.8 using 87 octane e10 gas in my 2012 DCSB 4x4. Surprisingly I found a station that had 87 octane e0 priced at 3.499 which is only .12 more than the cheapest e10 gas in my area. I've already noticed a little smoother idle and a quieter engine overall (not that it was rough or loud to begin with) so I'll probably stick with it even if I don't see better fuel economy.

2. May 12, 2012 at 9:01 AM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    Yep, same here, just another of many snake oil products that start with the premise that there is a large amount of fuel that isn't being burned currently. Total BS as any properly tuned engine easily burn 99%+ of the fuel available, so reaility is there is no available extra fuel going out the exhaust to be utilized.

3. May 12, 2012 at 12:43 PM
    dYL0n

dYL0n أنا لست الإسلامي

Member:
    First Name:
    Dyl0n
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBQSJBLKBRO2SPECU1.04
    1.04. Kbro2s. ICONS.
    Maybe the next taco will have the "flexfuel" feature, so it'll idle and perform normal if it runs 10% ethanol

4. May 12, 2012 at 1:02 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Yes and no.

Ethanol still only has about 75% of the BTU content of gasoline.

Our current computers can adjust the mixture properly for E10, but not beyond that. The poor idle and fuel economy is simply a by-product of the fuel containing ethanol.
    Having a flex-fuel computer will allow the mixture to be adjusted enough to run up to E85... but it's not going to improve fuel economy or power.

You think a 2.7 is a dog now, tune it and run it on E85 and you'll wish you had a HiLux with a 22R.

5. May 12, 2012 at 5:28 PM
    ae111black

ae111black Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kimo
    Hilo Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport
    plenty

6. May 12, 2012 at 5:36 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    So please answer the questions.

How much is it per tank treatment?
    How much improvement are you getting?
    Where is it available?

7. May 12, 2012 at 5:46 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    I switched from 89 w/Ethanol to to 91 w/o Ethanol and went from 18 MPG to 21.5 MPG average. Doesn't quite pay for itself, I calculated about $1.50 per 250 miles traveled, but it's worth it for the extra power and smoother ride.

Actually, just now I realized that if you added in the extra mileage per tank, that means fewer fillups. More than 5 fewer per year by my calculation. That would probaby push me over the break-even point if I consider what my time is worth.

8. May 12, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    ae111black

ae111black Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kimo
    Hilo Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport
    plenty
    if you buy the 2oz bottle does 160 gallons and it sells for $35 from any of the piramid scheme sales persons so roughly $3.50 a treatment for a tacoma tank.
    so far I netted a 2mpg avg gain on my wifes CRV and on my Tacoma it's TBD because I just started using it and am on my second treatment. I'll post results after my 3rd and 4th treatments on my tacoma

9. May 12, 2012 at 6:56 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    Is that a Crapple app? I don't find anything labeled Pure Gas in Android.

10. May 12, 2012 at 6:56 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent [OP] Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    Actually, I went to the marathon in Riviera Beach. The one at sleep road is a Port Consolidated. I think they only sell bulk fuel or fleet fuel or something...that's what I need to check out next...

The ride was noticeably smoother, which could have just made it feel more powerful.

1. I love my premium. I have given in to the advertising BP has pushed onto America. And I am okay with it...
    2. I know not of this app...to the app store...

excellent point...

11. May 12, 2012 at 7:11 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack

[​IMG]

12. May 12, 2012 at 7:25 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    It's pure-gas.org.

Seems hard to believe there is only one place in Salt lake City that has this.

13. May 12, 2012 at 7:31 PM
    pdrunk

pdrunk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 2.7L
    How reliable is a 2 mpg difference? The reason I ask is that my tank-to-tank averages vary by 1-1.5 mpg.

Heck, I LOST 2mpg on a 200 mile interstate trip in windy weather.

It seems to me that driving conditions and driver habits can produce a 2 mpg difference.

14. May 12, 2012 at 7:45 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent [OP] Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    Are you referencing the e0 gas or the MPG in a bottle guy...?

15. May 12, 2012 at 7:48 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    Of course they do. You can measure MPG lots of ways, but you need to pay attention to what you're doing. You can either drive normally tank to tank and get an average real-world number, or you can drive for maximum MPG to see what your truck is capable of. Either way, you need to try to drive the same general routes or at least same general driving style on tank A and tank B. One of the real keys is filling up at the same pump, facing the same direction, and not topping off.

16. May 12, 2012 at 7:55 PM
    pdrunk

pdrunk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 2.7L
    I was referencing the fuel additive guy. Just don't see a 2mpg difference as significant, scientifically that is.

17. May 12, 2012 at 8:12 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    That's the nice thing about Fuelly.

All of the data is there, and it graphs your mileage, so you can visually account for "off" tanks and seasonal changes.

It just requires using the snake oil for a couple of years and not doing any mods or tire size changes.

18. May 12, 2012 at 8:19 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    If it is consistent, then sure... that's a 10% improvement and is statistically significant.

The problem is that there are a dozen things that can produce a 10% difference in fuel economy including weather, driving habits, vehicle load, tire inflation, etc....

Typically, when someone begins using an additive, or installs a gizmo, they also check their inflation, remove the excess "junk in the trunk", and drive more conservatively.
    It's a self-fulfilling prophecy for the short term.

Long term results, and ideally from multiple test subjects, tell the story.
    The problem is, since no two drivers and no two commutes are identical, it is nearly impossible to perform a true double-blind scientific study with a proper control group.
    With 20 drivers, 10 being given the "placebo" additive and 10 being given the real thing, ya... that can give some useful information, even from such a small sample.

But...

While the 2oz bottle treating 160 gallons breaking down to $3.50 per tank, that's not a bad deal and it won't take much fuel savings to make up for that.... I have a hard time believing that 0.2oz of anything is going to have any impact on fuel economy.

I still maintain that the cheapest and most effective fuel economy modification is to tape a raw egg to the accelerator ;)

19. May 12, 2012 at 8:29 PM
    pdrunk

pdrunk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 2.7L
    I completely agree with both Polymerhead and Rich. And now that i think about it, i'd be ecstatic if my average increased by 2, but you've gotta do the math to see of the cost of the additive vs your mpg gains are worthwhile.

Fuelly is a good indicator of real-world mpg trends. While there are a lot of variables, the sheer number of users makes the overall Fuelly averages that much more powerful.

20. May 12, 2012 at 8:58 PM
    pdrunk

pdrunk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 2.7L
    And I did not mean to bash the additive mentioned earlier, just that I'm skeptical on the supposed gains within 2-3 tanks. I'd have to use it for a lot longer before becoming a believer.

I tried premium 93 for a month, 5 tanks worth. No noticable differences. I think all grades of gas around here are 10% ethanol, so I quit.

Might try ethanol-free sooner or later.

Products Discussed in

To Top