1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2009 Taco DC TRD with high miles??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Av8er, May 3, 2012.

1. May 3, 2012 at 5:46 AM
    Av8er

Av8er [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Formaly Houston, now Tampa, FL.
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner SR5/TRD DC, LB, w/ Tow
    Hey folks,

Been watching and learning about Taco's for quite some time here. Tons upon tons of useful and great info. Looking now (finally) to purchase my own.

I know the obvious answers to this question but I'm amazed at the amount of knowledge and great insights offered on this site by it's users. So I'm looking for ideas, suggestions as it relates to the Tacoma only and not any other vehicles with regard to reliability, durability, etc.

There is a really nice one for sale a few hours from me (short plane ride) and I'm considering going to see it. However it has a very clean car fax (for what it's worth) the only caveat is that it has 70k miles on it. Racked up about 25k miles a year under one owner (lease vehicle at 2.8 years) and then was turned in. Obviously I'll get an independent inspection done and once there I can really give it a good check (oil, frame rust, etc.). Just trying to see if it's worth my time to check out. How in the hell does someone rack up that many miles in such a short time? Traveling shower curtain ring salesmen? Highway miles mostly then?

Just looking for advice on what I'm not considering or missing??
    Thanks for chiming in.....
    Av-

2. May 3, 2012 at 6:49 PM
    Jeremy J

Jeremy J n00b

Member:
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 6 Speed TRD ZRU
    Just curious what is so special about this one? I bought mine from Austin because I wanted a manual but if you are fine with an auto, there are plenty around with less miles. I found a dozen or so 2008-09 in DFW with <40k.

3. May 3, 2012 at 7:06 PM
    Canazes9

Canazes9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 Dbl Cab TRD Sport / '12 Dbl Cab Offroad
    I'm in sales, I drive about 40,000 miles/year. They are easy miles on the truck, running down the highway w/ no load. I have an '07 Tacoma that my wife drove for the first 4 years. I drove it for 1.5 years after I traded in another vehicle. It has 132,000 miles on it now. Doesn't burn a drop of oil, gets same mileage it got when new. Still tight, really just feels like it's broken in now. It's my sons truck now, I was so pleased w/ the durability I bought a new Tacoma for myself.

I wouldn't worry about those miles if the truck is clean and appears to have been well cared for it should last.

HTH

David

4. May 4, 2012 at 6:54 AM
    Av8er

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vehicle:
    It's at the right price point based on my trade-in and the number I budgeted as the difference. When you have plans for a boat, travel trailer, a move across the country and an employer who likes to do random pay concessions occasionally, you have to fit it into the realistic budget. ;)

There are plenty out there but tks to the resale value, the stealerships wont budge much on price and I need to trade-in to take advantage of the texas state tax break.

5. May 4, 2012 at 6:55 AM
    Av8er

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vehicle:
    Good to know! Yea assuming I can verify it's history a little more than just carfax, it could be a great, reliable option based on the type of miles! Glad you chimed in, tks!

6. May 4, 2012 at 7:39 AM
    Jeremy J

Jeremy J n00b

Member:
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 6 Speed TRD ZRU
    I hear ya. From what I have read, 70K is nothing on these trucks. That is one of the main reasons I bought one. I hope I don't need another truck for 5 years. Good luck!

7. May 4, 2012 at 7:59 AM
    Av8er

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vehicle:
    Yea that's exactly why I love these trucks. I want to squat on one for a long, long time. I'm in no dramatic hurry either, so I can wait it out to find the perfect one (mechanically speaking) that fits my budget.

However it's hard to jump on this site and see all the fun things involved with a freaking 4 door sedan parked in the driveway! ;)

8. May 4, 2012 at 1:28 PM
    dbratcher

dbratcher Active Member

Member:
    N AL
    Vehicle:
    07 SWB DCLB Sport
    I picked up an 07 Double Cab LB sport with 160k on it. Ran the carfax, checked out as a 1 owner. Changed all the fluids and plugs after i got it just to know everything is fresh. Could not be happier with my purchase. Mileage doesnt seem to be an issue with these trucks from what i have read on this forum. My only concern would be purchasing a truck from an area that uses alot of salt on the roads.

9. May 4, 2012 at 4:23 PM
    Av8er

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vehicle:
    Man I'm glad to hear there are stories like these floating around especially with the 2nd gen. taco's. Thanks for chiming in bud!

10. May 4, 2012 at 4:24 PM
    Av8er

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vehicle:
    I'm going to hop a flight later this week and go check it out. We'll see.......;)

11. May 4, 2012 at 4:25 PM
    Av8er

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vehicle:
    Actually buddy, Ft. Worth is where this particular taco is located. Moritz Kia Fort Worth. We'll see how it goes.....

Products Discussed in

To Top