1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Blower motor "chirp-clicking " sound

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Leggo, May 4, 2012.

1. May 4, 2012 at 12:41 PM
    Leggo

Leggo [OP] slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    I did the fix today for the blower motor. Mine was clicking on low. I followed the usual repair methods posted here on TW. What I found is that, the two screws that are supposed to "balance" the motor are in fact simply cover screws that when tightened down they align the brushes, I don't think they balance anything. After lubing up both bearings and blowing out the assembly, I reassembled the motor and tightened down the two screws that hold the motor "cap" to find all the clicking disappeared. I think the clicking noise was the brushes being slightly out of alignment after time because the braided leads to them actually get pressed between the cap ( the cap sets the alignment of the brush holder plate) and the frame that holds the brushes. They compress over time and the brushes go out of alignment. When I put it all back together, it made a very soft brushing noise on low. after a half hour drive home with it on, the noise was gone completely. (the brushes seated thoroughly). I saved 150$, the price of a new one from Toyota.

Products Discussed in

To Top