1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Yakima rack permanent mount

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Snapper Ranchero, May 5, 2012.

1. May 5, 2012 at 8:56 AM
    Snapper Ranchero

Snapper Ranchero [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Reno Nevada
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    Relentless fab armor, cattleguard on front (useful here, lots of cows and sheep), nerfs for mom and pop, interior and exterior (bed) lights, Dual rack w/ lights, stripped off all the TRD decals, and stripes and painted chrome emblems same color as the truck. Grillcraft black grill w/ black paint in back, elusive elements light bar inside w/ additional lights, old grill cutout, yakima rack mount, better tires.
    Hi. I have a short bed double cab taco with a bed rack for my kayaks and stuff, but just bought a tandem sea kayak and needed something longer, so I bought a single bar for over my cab.

I wasn't happy with the Q tower clips so I decided to put something permanent on my truck. I saw something similar to what I did on the forum. This was my solution.

DISCLAIMER - I am not saying this works. Yakima says anything other than an approved install is potentially dangerous and life threatening if failure occurs. I have taken some precautions for install.

[​IMG]

I shopped for cheap. I had the crossbars. The only thing I got from Yakima was the nut/bolts to put in my truck; I wanted plusnuts and talked to the phone person. The first item they send was meant for someone else; my address was on the label but the item inside and the packing slip were for someone else. I called Yakima and told them and they didn't want the old part back. The second package contained a different kind of nut/bolt (not a plusnut) but meant for the same application. (like a molly/drywall app) I'm not too impressed w/ Yakima right now. Plusuts would be better since the is no part to potentially lose inside your truck. The nut they sent required a slightly bigger hole in the truck (3/8 plus some ovaling to allow hinged part through) so there is no going back. Good news, Yakima uses 6mm parts, same as Tacoma uses for their roof rack, so I only need to drill one hole on each side. I bought 40mm length (4) bolts to replace the short bolts it same with.

[​IMG]

Lifted out the rubber strip and uncovered the center bolt hole. They are covered with rubberized tape but you can feel the hole with your finger. I cut a circle in the tape. Measured the part for distance. Chose to drill behind the factory thread. This places my rack over and to the front of my backseat window. I did not want to drill in front of the factory bolt because that places it between the front and back door.

If my bars should start to fail/come loose, I could roll down my rear windows and strap the whole thing down through my truck. My bars extend out far enough to do this.

[​IMG]

My homemade drill stop. I used drill stops on all my bits because the curtain airbags run close to the install. played it safe and started shy of 1/4 depth. Note the painter's tape covering the factory hole. I drilled a pilot hole a bigger hole then my final hole which required an oval from side to side to accomadate the bolt. Plusnuts use a smaller size hole. Too late now. Touched up the holes with touchup paint.

[​IMG]

Hole in the rubber strip. These are a pain. there is a metal strip inside and a drill bit will slip to one side or another. I used a utility knife, a dremel and even a metal saw blade. All I can say is it took patience. The first strip I did BEFORE my roof holes. the second after. As always, I covered my roof hole in blue tape. Cleaned up, placed rubber back in and could see my holes were well lined up. Ready for install.

[​IMG]

As I said, Yakima sent me these instead of plusnuts. Set of 4. I used some glue to attach fishwire to the bolts as they slip off the part if mishandled. I also glued the black washer part over all 4 of my holes to help with waterproofing. I worked the part into my drilled hole, used a small screwdriver to rotate the nut inside. I put my rubber strip in place, put my landing pad on top, threadlocked and put in my bolts in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yakima makes a bolt-on landing pad (#7) but it is too wide for the tracks.

If a part did fall in the hole I could get it by bending back the rubber inside near the door where the felt rooftop meets the door.

If I could do it different I would try to build up the base for a flatter surface, I would use stainless bolts. I may revisit this project; I will have to test the waterproofness soon.

[​IMG]
    (my other bars)

2. May 5, 2012 at 9:27 AM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    Looks good

3. May 8, 2014 at 7:53 AM
    MyMistress

MyMistress Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport 4X
    Leveled front, TSB rear, TSB Transmission, Always on fog lights, Socked windshield / bedsides, Trimmed mud flaps, Weather Techs, 4 Extra d-rings, Map Light Mod, Avid Light Bar, OEM Bed Mat, Locked Back Window, Secret Stash Area,
    Old post I know, how did it hold up? any tips?
    Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top