Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Windshield

Old 05-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
My name is Mudd
mcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant future

Name: mike
mcdowell's Tacoma Gallery
Windshield

Have to replace windshield. Neglected to fill a chip so a crack started running. I have a 500.00 deductable w/ Progressive so this is going to be cash. Safelite quoted 342.00. Glassmasters is 179.00. Im afraid the glassmaster isnt up to par. Both are oem equal. Think the cheaper one is even worth going with?
Old 05-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Have you checked with your insurance? Sometimes windshields are exempt from deductibles. For instance, Florida is a zero-deductible state for windshields and it also does not go on your claims record, so they won't increase your premiums because of the claim. I had mine replaced about 2 months ago - just a phone call and they come replace it at my home for free.
Not sure what Al law is, but worth checking.

Back to your question, mine was replaced with Safelite, and it appears to be good quality. I don't know about the Glassmasters. Is it available where you can go look at it? Look at different angles with light shining from the opposite side to make sure it is not wavy. Other than that it should be good.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
From what I understand, Safelite does use the UV glass while others may only be tinted. Also, the cheaper made windshields may be wavy due to inferior processes. They may both be OEM equal in terms of safety requirements but appearance and what you have to LOOK through may be different between the two.

If it makes you feel any better, the people in my Lexus club go for Safelite.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
My name is Mudd
mcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant future

Thanks. Yes i called progressive and im on the hook. I like the Florida law though. Alabama is backwards. Thats a good idea. I will just take it in so i can look before the install.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
What does Glassmasters offer warranty wise? The cheaper price might be how they install it more than the quality of the glass itself.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
jpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NDT/QA
Name: Jimmy
jpmorrisvb's Tacoma Gallery
Now that you know ... check with Progressive and see what adding windshield coverage would be ... I am sure one more replacesment would cover the cost.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
jbrenn is a jewel in the roughjbrenn is a jewel in the roughjbrenn is a jewel in the roughjbrenn is a jewel in the rough
jbrenn's Tacoma Gallery
I had mine replaced for $165 out the door. I have no waves or anything. Im pretty sure that only 1 or 2 companies actually make the glass.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
My name is Mudd

Lightbulb .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmorrisvb View Post
Now that you know ... check with Progressive and see what adding windshield coverage would be ... I am sure one more replacesment would cover the cost.
This
Old 05-06-2012, 06:30 AM   #9
Rellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant future
Law Enforcement: Police Officer (retired NYPD)
Name: Craig
Rellik01's Tacoma Gallery
Just had my front windshield replaced on my 2012 with 200 miles. It did not cost me a dime due to Florida insurance regs.They even used OEM Toyota glass because the truck was so new. The installer told me they paid about $700 for the glass and all the gaskets versus $50-$60 dollars they normally pay for after market Korean glass.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #10
My name is Mudd

Installed today. Invoice reads " solar control and UV. Looks good. No waves in the glass so it worked out well.

I know i know..... should have installed 5100 bullet proof doubled sided off road glass but this will work. ( you know who you are )
Old 05-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #11
the logical one
fixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
fixer5000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdowell View Post

I know i know..... should have installed 5100 bullet proof doubled sided off road glass but this will work. ( you know who you are )

now thats funny lol
Old 05-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #12
Rail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to beholdRail is a splendid one to behold
Rail's Tacoma Gallery
Just had my windshield replaced by glassmasters for $183.00. It looks like a better windshield than came in the truck. I have never had that many chips and cracks in a widshield and i have owned over 30 vehicles. One crack started on the passenger side and made a loop over the seal. Have no idea why it happened.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #13
ShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement:
Name: Shawn
ShawnR's Tacoma Gallery
We can get bulletproof glass?? :-)
Old 05-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #14
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnR View Post
We can get bulletproof glass?? :-)
acutally you can but its a pretty penny. i just had mine replaced at no cost to me per insurance by safelite. just miss the tint strip i had and have not had time to get it redone
Old 05-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #15
sandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedsandjunkie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sandjunkie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdowell View Post
Installed today. Invoice reads " solar control and UV. Looks good. No waves in the glass so it worked out well.

Who did you end up using?