1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

'05 Motor Mounts Failed/Failing

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Khaos, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Aug 9, 2010 at 7:24 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    I saw your truck in the dealer lot last week when passing through town. Didn't realize it was yours at the time but knew something was up due to the skid plates pulled. This is my #1 fear in keeping my Tacoma long term.

Best of luck, and I'll be monitoring this thread with great interest...

2. Aug 9, 2010 at 8:52 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    Reinforcing the frame is nothing new, you have shops that actually specialize in that kind of stuff. If you really want to get it fixed forget about the dealer and find a good auto fabrication shop. Shouldn't take long or cost much and if done right will not affect tire wear.

3. Aug 10, 2010 at 7:08 AM
    sar

sar Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB Manual (on order)
  4. Aug 10, 2010 at 7:11 AM
    sar

sar Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    These are the pics of my problem. Quite a bit of rust mixed in there as well. Rust proofing has done very little (I guess). Fixable??? Many on the forum say yes. I just have to find a shop that can do the work and well. Will likely wait to see if corporate will do anything first.

5. Aug 10, 2010 at 7:51 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    drive the truck into a lake and cash out and buy '10 taco and rustproof right off the showroom floor

6. Aug 10, 2010 at 8:23 AM
    sar

sar Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Rust roofing off the showroom floor didn't seem to work the first time. Rust is the least of my worries now anyway. If it was driveable it would already be in the lake;)

7. Aug 12, 2010 at 1:25 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    sorry. my work computer doesnt allow me on photo bucket..

can someone post pics of the updated and non-updated mounts?

8. Apr 21, 2011 at 9:58 PM
    singlefin

singlefin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hood River, OR
    Vehicle:
    Syncro
    See post #818 [​IMG]

9. May 12, 2011 at 3:40 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Toyota Engine Mounts

(posted on another forum):

"Latest issue of Off-Road magazine (July 2011) page 50 has an article that says 05 and newer Tacoma, 07 and newer FJ and 03 and newer 4Runner could have engine mount problems. They are prone to cracking and should be checked before they break and the engine drops."

After reading this thread, it seems the problem was only on 2005 and 2006 Tacomas, yes?

10. Aug 31, 2011 at 4:13 PM
    Fortech

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    Mt drivers side mount caved in this morning. The telltale symptom was the fan smacking the radiator shroud.

Looks like my Tacoma isn't going anywhere for awhile.

If anyone that has been in the same boat could offer some suggestions on how to deal with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all...

11. Aug 31, 2011 at 5:53 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    There is discussion early on in this same thread about the changes Toyota has made to the frames in this area. Most people seem to agree that there was a mid year change in 2007 when a reinforcement plate was added at the factory.

The early 05s were the worst. The combination of a weak design and poor welds make the problem most common on the early 05s.

Your 2010 should be bulletproof in this area.

12. Aug 31, 2011 at 6:56 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    I broke an engine mount on my '06, but it was certainly beyond normal circumstances. Desert prerunning, high speed, unexpected ditch between whoops.

It wasn't actually the mount that broke, it was the frame... the mount was pushed through the wall of the frame. The engine had to be lifted, the frame wall pried back out, plated in, and the mount rewelded.

Gusseted the mount while we were in there. Still need to do the other side though, but I'm going to wait until I lock the front differential so I can kill two birds with one stone (pulling the CV's to get access to the frame mount area)

13. Oct 30, 2011 at 2:14 PM
    Fortech

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    An update:

Its been two months today since my motor mounts failed on my 2005 TRD Off Road Access Cab. I called my dealer just after it happened, and they asked me to bring the truck in so they could inspect it, and go to bat for me with Toyota. After a few weeks of trading information back and forth with Toyota, my dealer was successful in getting my repairs covered. A new frame has been ordered but a delivery date is currently still unknown. Hopefully I'll have the truck back ASAP. I'll keep everyone posted as the process unfolds.

14. Oct 30, 2011 at 2:59 PM
    KellyCX

KellyCX New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Texas
    Fortech, that's the only "repair" the Toyota dealer said was available to them when I took mine in, and that frame replacement was available only if the truck was still under warranty (mine was a few months beyond). At the district level they did agree that they would pay to have the frame repaired at a local (San Antonio, TX) frame shop. Said Toyota was not permitted such repairs due to liability problems. Frame shop did what I considered an adequate repair and Toyota did pick up the tab of about $700. I was out considerable time and transportation expenses, but at least I have a usable truck again. Had my truck been under warranty and had they offered to replace the frame I would most certainly have declined. I just can't imagine all the problems that a fella would experience after having his truck parts re-assembled on a new frame. Nope, woulda still had mine welded. Please do let us know how you make out with yours. I'm very curious 'bout how that might work. :)

15. Oct 31, 2011 at 5:28 AM
    sar

sar Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The dealer or more specifically Toyota Canada had my frame replaced. Frame/motor mount failed August 1st and was finally fixed in December. The frame had to be made etc etc. Toyota came through for me (especially since thd truck was 5 1/2 years old with 180000kms and no warranty. Because of the amount of time that it would take to fix the truck I worked out a trade with the dealer on a new Tundra. I just couldn't be truckless for that long. Hope all that have this problem are taken care of like I was.

16. Oct 31, 2011 at 5:40 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Most or all of these failures on v6s?

17. Nov 27, 2011 at 1:03 PM
    Fortech

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    Another Update:

12 weeks now since I took my truck to the local dealer. I visited the dealer lot the other day to find the battery in my Tacoma stone dead - brought it home and charged it overnight. Went back yesterday and installed the battery and fired up the truck. The truck started right away like it was only sitting overnight. The charging light however was illuminated for a few minutes but finally went away, brake pads stuck to the rotors, same with the shoes in the rear inside the drums. Did a slow lap around the lot just to get things moving again. Cycled into and out of 4x4 for awhile - basically just went through everything to ensure it wasn't seized. My rotors feel pretty crappy, and I assume a brake job will be in order ASAP after the repair. Shut off the truck and removed the ground from the battery to avoid it draining again.

The new frame/chassis is still not available and no estimated delivery time can be determined. Apparently the case is now being reviewed by the head of some warranty department somewhere to determine if we are going to wait for a new frame or proceed into a "buy back" negotiation. Time will tell.

Toyota has paid the cost of my rental vehicle thus far - so I have to give them credit where it is due. Currently an 2011 F150 supercrew. Previous was a Kia Soul :)mad:) as well as a Ford Escape. Finally got my ass back in the seat of a truck - really did miss it.

That's all for now...

18. Dec 4, 2011 at 1:13 PM
    caseymckeeborrego

caseymckeeborrego Member

Member:
    desert hot springs
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner
    K&N filter
    this thread has been a life saver, thank you.

19. Dec 4, 2011 at 2:17 PM
    Fortech

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    Another update:

Toyota left a message on my voice mail a few days ago stating my new frame is going to be delivered within 7 - 10 days, and to expect my Tacoma back home before Christmas.

More to come...

20. Dec 5, 2011 at 4:43 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Glad I got rid of my 05 even tho it was 4 cyl. 08 has reinforcement in this area and is also 4 cyl. Good luck on the frame swap Fortech. Hoping it'll be a Merry Christmas with a bug free fully functional old friend coming home. It is the right color for the season. I can't imagine it taking this long to get there heads out their asses to do something then what, Dec 11-14th before getting frame, then less than 2 weeks to magically swap it all over and have it back to you before Xmas? If I were you, I'd make a few surprise visits to survey the progress once they actually start the swap. Hoping for best, expecting issues..........

Products Discussed in

To Top