1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

'05 Motor Mounts Failed/Failing

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Khaos, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Dec 23, 2008 at 11:02 AM
    Snyperx

Snyperx Seniore Marcos

Member:
    Hey all!! I would think that if you marched into court with the a picture of the 05 mount and the 07 mount it would be a slam dunk case. I would also think that at some point the government should be involved with getting a recall initiated since it is blatantly obvious that Toyota knew of the issue then quietly fixed the issue. There is no other reason for adding that additional reinforcement unless they knew of an issue.

I would advise people having this issue they should look at filing a complaint with there state's consumer protection office. The more the affected parties ratchet up the pressure the better chance we have at getting this addresses. With the economy the way it is right now I would think the last thing Toyota needs is bad press and a loss of customers.

2. Dec 23, 2008 at 11:11 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Any ideas what Toyota could do to reinforce this area, before it fails? I would rather not start welding pieces on incase they decide to fix it somehow, and they say mine is void?

3. Dec 23, 2008 at 11:12 AM
    colvilletacoma

colvilletacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Washington
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    OME 886 Coils, Bilstein 5100's in Front, Tuff Country in Rear, Custom Racks with winch built in
    exactly. I dont think this will be too hard to win. They will still try to blame the problem on me and that is was self inflicted but if thats the case then why did they change the welds for the people who used their 05's as daily drivers? It seems they reconized they had a problem and quitely fixed it. Some towns like Spokane, WA are worse driving in their city streets then it is driving on the backroads that I drive hunting. If anyone wants to drive in a shitty ass town go to Spokane, dont get me wrong I dont mind Spokane at all but their streets are ridiculous in some spots!

4. Dec 23, 2008 at 11:15 AM
    colvilletacoma

Member:
    Central Washington
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    OME 886 Coils, Bilstein 5100's in Front, Tuff Country in Rear, Custom Racks with winch built in
    Well sonjay there isnt much you can do, if you do your own work and then come in to get the frame swap or reinforcement done they will say that you caused the damage because you were welding in that area. You are either gonna have to sell your truck back or wait for it to fail and see how the outcome of my case goes because there isnt much you can do besides that. You can go and have it reinforced or do it yourself but Toyota will then deny you warranty. This is either gonna have to be a recall or something for people who are worried like us to get it fixed without hassle.

5. Dec 23, 2008 at 11:18 AM
    colvilletacoma

Member:
    Central Washington
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    Also Snyperx I wouldnt be too worried about your welds but im trying to see if there is any connection between which plant it was built at. Mine and Tacosupreme or Tacogrande (TN) were built at the Freemont plant and I noticed yours was too! Just something to think about, dont want you to worry any but just keep an eye on em thats all.

6. Dec 23, 2008 at 11:21 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    ^Thats my worry that they will deny me if I "fix" it. I'll have a look with my dad and see what he thinks. My truck gets driven on logging roads quite a bit. I believe my warranty has expired, 3 years or 36,000mi?

7. Dec 23, 2008 at 11:28 AM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Thanks. :)

8. Dec 23, 2008 at 11:29 AM
    colvilletacoma

Member:
    Central Washington
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    You are probably expired. I drive my truck on logging trucks daily...or use to, haha. My truck was driven offroad more then onroad. Its hard to say what you should do. The only way you will probably get Toyota to fix this for you now is if I win my case and your mounts end up failing. My information will be avaliable to anybody and everybody once this is all said and done. A recall may be the only way to do it without your mounts actualy breaking to get Toyota to fix it for you. Its kind of up to you if you want to beef it up or not, the correct way to beef up the whole area is to pull the engine and add some gussets and what have you.

9. Dec 23, 2008 at 11:31 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yeah, I'm gonna go look at them again. If I give you my VIN can you trace where my frame was made? or can I? We have the tools to pull the engine, and my dad can weld... Is there a longer power-train warranty?

10. Dec 23, 2008 at 11:36 AM
    colvilletacoma

Member:
    Central Washington
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    I was thinking the powertrain was 60k and the frame itself was 36k and it falls under the 36 i think. Someone correct me if im wrong. Well if you guys can actually do all that work by yourself then by all means do it if you feel comfortable. I can pull engines on older rigs and do most/some of the work myself, im not the best welder either, but if you guys can do it and add gussets to that area and do it right and make it look like the 07 mounts then I would do that, save you money and a headache. You can also wait till they break and if that happens do it yourself, save a LOT of money and HEADACHES! haha Also give me your VIN and ill tell you if I can tell you where its from or not.

11. Dec 23, 2008 at 11:39 AM
    Snyperx

Snyperx Seniore Marcos

Member:

Do you happen to know how close together our three trucks were made? I am just trying to see how much I need to keep an eye on it. Also, I think I might start the ground work for filing some kind of complaint or action with the State of Wisconsin Consumer Protection Agency on behalf of late model Tacomas. I wonder if they will listen to me if I go in with the information and pictures that are available. I really don't want to wait for the frame to fail, although it may not. I am trying to get some kind of recall process started.

12. Dec 23, 2008 at 11:47 AM
    colvilletacoma

Member:
    Central Washington
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    I cant say for sure, ask 6shooter on Toyotanation he may be able to tell how close they were built but his was built there too but its a 06. I think the 06 welds arent reinforced either but it would be nice to see a pic of the 06's welds. You may need to go in with some information to them, they might not just take you with nothing to go on. Or they will have you come back with some sort of information on it. File a complaint with the NTHSA i believe it is, its a safety issue that needs to be addressed.

13. Dec 23, 2008 at 12:11 PM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    It looks like it would be hell to pull these motors, so many wires and hoses. I wonder have you emailed Toyota corporate in Japan or just North America?

14. Dec 23, 2008 at 12:55 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    As far as I have found, All the frames have been made by Dana Corp., not Toyota, so I dont think the V.I.N. is going to be as important as knowing when the build date is.

15. Dec 23, 2008 at 1:20 PM
    colvilletacoma

Member:
    Central Washington
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    yeah, looking at the build date to come to some correlation of what a time frame we are looking at here of when the bad frames or welds or whatever were done so that people in between those dates know if they should be looking at their welds/frames or not.

16. Dec 23, 2008 at 1:40 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Another thing to look at is if the truck is a 4 door or quad cab. Not sure if they use the same frame.

17. Dec 23, 2008 at 1:42 PM
    colvilletacoma

Member:
    Central Washington
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    I thik they do, the access cab and double cab i believe have the same frame but the double cab just has a smaller bed due to the fact it has 4 doors. I know its a V6 4.0 liter issue so far and no 2.7 liters have been affected yet.

18. Dec 23, 2008 at 3:42 PM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks colvilletacoma, for checking my VIN. You said mine was made in Japan? Would that be any different then the ones having problems?

19. Dec 23, 2008 at 3:42 PM
    Khaos

Khaos [OP] Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    The access cab and double cab (short bed) use the same frame.

20. Dec 23, 2008 at 3:45 PM
    colvilletacoma

Member:
    Central Washington
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    yes thats what i mean, sorry, i have the short bed and im use to seeing them, not the long bed. But yeah the access cab and the double cab short bed use the same frame.

Products Discussed in

To Top