Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Why the hell can't I sell my truck?

Old 05-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #41
RBaptist is on a distinguished road
RBaptist's Tacoma Gallery
Just as a point of reference - I bought a used 2007 2.7L Manual Access Cab Prerunner SR5 in 2007 from a Toyota Dealership for 17K out the door. They were asking 21K. I offered 19K and they said "NOT A CHANCE". I walked away and they called me back 3 weeks later. I told them I wouldn't even come back unless they would take 17K out the door. The rest is history. My point is that the dealer had trouble selling my 4cyl manual. The truck had 20K on it when I bought it and was in near perfect shape. The RIGHT buyer is there, but most people don't like manuals (I do....) and most people want HP that they likely will never use and lose a little gas mileage for it. The right buyer will come along at some point, but you may need to get below the 20K price point for a used car. Sucks, but the deals and financing on new are pretty good right now.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #42
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Just trade it . Going to be hard to get over kbb. I just sold my Tahoe and it took 4 months and only got high blue book .
Old 05-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #43
stumpman is on a distinguished road
stumpman's Tacoma Gallery
Why did u buy a 4 cylinder, 5 speed, was it because of price or did u prefer a 4 cylinder? If you preferred it, I would say you are in the minority, if you bought on price, well don't forget that now.The 2.7 is a fine engine as I put 160k on it. I currently have the 3.4 dc 4x4 and it gets the same or better mileage and love the 3.4 over the 2.7. My wife has the 4.0 in an fj cruiser and we love it. You have a fine truck but at the same time the least desirable among the majority.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #44
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
15mpg is way worse than 23mpg
Old 05-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #45
RBaptist is on a distinguished road
RBaptist's Tacoma Gallery
^^ Agreed on the 2.7 being a great truck. For normal driving and occasional hauling it is perfect. Especially if you drive a lot and want a truck. I hear 18-19 MPG on the V6 and 22 on the 4cyl (6 lug). It adds up if you drive a lot like I do. It's an extra 72 miles on a tank. Heck I had about 1500lbs in the bed last Thursday up and down hills and it didn't flinch. I've towed ski boats around too and it does fine. Have to down shift up hill occasionally but other than that - no worries. Not sure why they weren't more popular, but to each their own. Now if they ever get the turbo diesel worked out.....THAT will be an awesome ride!
Old 05-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #46
Professional Goofball
zul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to beholdzul is a splendid one to behold
zul's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj973gm View Post
Modded
Manual
4cyl

Not a huge market share looking for those options.
+1

It looks great, but there is a reason Toyota sells like 90% v6 Autos new. Most people dont want to wrestle with a manual or possibly underpowered engine when there are other options.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #47
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
If you want to sell it for $20K, you might remove the "No low ballers" from your ad listing the truck at $22K. I wouldn't bother negotiating with a guy who said no low ballers in his ad. To me it's the same as saying "price is firm."
Old 05-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #48
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
I had no problem selling my old 4 cyl. 5 spd I listed it on Gregs list and sold it 5 mins. after the add was placed. The big tires, lift, headers etc. are screaming "this things has had the snot beat out of it" no matter how nice it looks.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #49
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
Go back to stock and it will sell
Old 05-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #50
aillon is on a distinguished road
aillon's Tacoma Gallery
I just purchased a used Tacoma. 1- the mods make me think you beat the crap out of the truck. 2- seat covers look like they are hiding something.

Plus you talk about dents in your ad, tell them about it when they call. Finally, for 2k more you can buy a brand new one
Old 05-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #51
NRXTM is a jewel in the roughNRXTM is a jewel in the roughNRXTM is a jewel in the roughNRXTM is a jewel in the rough
NRXTM's Tacoma Gallery
yeah high price and the 4 banger prob turnes them off
Old 05-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #52
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Just read the ad . LOL . That's a Tacoma world ad .Not a real world ad. I'd Start over as its not a good ad . Don't list every mod. List mods that are factory . What I did was research other ads of a similiar vehicle and copy a good one and changed it a little .
Old 05-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #53
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomalex View Post
22k is not a bad asking price.
Not one single call at 23k OBO?

Apparently, 22k IS a bad asking price.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:21 PM   #54
Grundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Grundletaint's Tacoma Gallery
Eeek
Old 05-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #55
Just think outside the Yota
CayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
CayucosTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Manual is definitely a turn off sadly.. Had a guy randomly pull up to my house, and offered me full asking price in cash, then he saw it was a manual and left.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #56
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I would take pictures with the seat covers off. I know it is a pain but most will think you are just hiding something.

Also the mods are likely killing off he % of people looking to buy the truck.

If you are really die hard in selling the truck. I would convert back to stock. You will get back most of your money selling the parts and stock parts are cheap if you sold them already.

Most people look and see decreased MPG due to the tires, poor ride since it is lifted, loud tires, missing center caps, headers a whole list of problems since they worry about emissions, leaking, rusting out, under hood temps, burning things. Also some will think your warranty is voided since you modded the truck. It is true trying to get any warranty work done on a modded truck is a pain, they go out of their way to blame the mods.

Just being honest. If you are a tacoma enthusiast it is apparently a nice truck but the average joe looking to buy which is 98% of the people out there will think just what I posted above.
This is the main thing. The number of people who are interested in buying your truck as it sits is small.

You have to get the folks who want a fairly new modded truck, and don't feel the need to do it themselves, and trust you to have done a good job on the mods.

So - the main thing it's going to take, more than anything else - to find a buyer is the passage of time. Maybe six months or more. You're gonna spend some time selling it, and have to deal with a few tire-kickers.

And the main thing I'd change in the ad is the "no low-ballers" part. You don't want to chase away anyone who is potentially interested in your truck.

If someone offers you 18 - you don't have to take the offer. You can keep it in your pocket. "Man, if I haven't sold it in three months, I'll call you."

And, you can use that offer as leverage on the next guy. "Sorry man - I've already got an offer for 18. If I have to sell it for that - I'll give it to the other guy." And maybe you get an offer for 19 that way. And so on.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:20 AM   #57
sevencities is on a distinguished road
Name: Ben
sevencities's Tacoma Gallery
I paid a little less than OP's asking price for a DCLB 4x4 V6.....

So yes, I'd say the price is too high. That is the problem with cars...people always want to get what they think it is worth.

The car is worth what somebody is willing to pay.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:27 AM   #58
Taco noob
.28 is on a distinguished road

Name: miguel
.28's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to .28
Maybe because its too close to what a new truck would cost? I don't know. Most ppl getting the 4 banger are specifically wanting the single cab. Good luck though..
Old 05-08-2012, 06:16 AM   #59
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
While the the truck is fairly priced between NADA retail and wholesale, the price does seem high, especially with two years worth of average miles on it. The "curb appeal" is poor. The lift, off road tires, painted wheels without center caps and baggy seat covers don't present well. Lastly, most people don't wanna' mess with a manual transmission. It's gonna' be a tough sell outside of other off road enthusiasts.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:30 AM   #60
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Modded
Manual
4cyl

Not a huge market share looking for those options.
X2