Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Hide-A-Bed Rack

Old 05-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
IKMtacoma is on a distinguished road

IKMtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Hide-A-Bed Rack

Here is some quick shots of my Sunday project. The idea was to create a bed rack to hold up my Pyranha Kayak from the bottom of the bed, that way I can still use the bed for other gear / camping supplies. It is not fully completed yet, I will be finishing it off a little better, including paint, and a round foam / padding of the kayak to sit on to protect the bottom of it from the metal rails.

Let me know what you think. Possibly going to start selling these once I get the kinks worked out and build a jig to mass produce.
Attached Thumbnails
Hide-A-Bed Rack-img_0213.jpg   Hide-A-Bed Rack-img_0216.jpg   Hide-A-Bed Rack-img_0215.jpg   Hide-A-Bed Rack-img_0207.jpg   Hide-A-Bed Rack-img_0217.jpg  

Old 05-08-2012, 04:05 AM   #2
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Nice work! It's kinda hard for me to tell from the pic, but is the rack held up by the side rails?
Old 05-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #3

Exactly. They are mounted to the sliding tie downs. On the tie downs, it says it can handle a 220lb per mount load. No issues so far. Had it down the highway - no flexing or movements.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #4

bump
Old 05-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
Country101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to all
Country101's Tacoma Gallery
pretty sweet idea. Can you get a picture of how they attach to the cleats? I may have to make something similar.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:13 AM   #6

bump
Old 07-29-2012, 12:04 PM   #7

Here are a couple more photos of the build that I forgot I had. I have since added mount "cleats" for mounting. I will also be adding / fabricating a basket for the right side. This will allow me to still have the entire box free'd up for other gear, AND still have a basket for other gear. I will be starting the basket build in a couple weeks. Pics to come. Anyone in Alberta Canada interested in this? After I make my prototype, I may sell a few of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Hide-A-Bed Rack-img_0203.jpg   Hide-A-Bed Rack-img_0202.jpg   Hide-A-Bed Rack-img_0722.jpg  
Old 07-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IKMtacoma View Post
Exactly. They are mounted to the sliding tie downs. On the tie downs, it says it can handle a 220lb per mount load. No issues so far. Had it down the highway - no flexing or movements.
Just so you know, that 220 lb rating is straight pull, not vertical load. They'l still hold a decent amount of weight the way you have them set up but I wouldn't throw a bed rack on those bars and expect to load it up. Most of the cross bars meant to support racks curl up on the bed sides so the track system just keeps them in place and the bed supports the weight.

I like the idea though. Simple and effective!
Old 07-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #9
Shaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Shaun
Shaunsquatch's Tacoma Gallery
I like it, but I think I would be worried about being rear ended and taking a yak to the back of the head.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunsquatch View Post
I like it, but I think I would be worried about being rear ended and taking a yak to the back of the head.
I thought about this also. The pic may look like it sticks out far, but its not much at all. Maybe a foot. It would be a really hard rear end hit in order for it to come through. Plus, I have straps going through the mounts on the kayak itself, which is strapped to the clevis mounts I have on the bars. So,both of the straps (5,000lbs strength each) would need to snap and then it may go through. Its super sturdy. More pics to come. I am currently in a hotel in Chicago ( work ). When I get home I will snap a few more.