Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Power at Cigarette lighter with key off?

Old 05-08-2012, 02:21 AM   #1
2011TRDSPORT is on a distinguished road
Name: Len
2011TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Power at Cigarette lighter with key off?

I've searched for a mod. for this but haven't been able to find one. Is there a quick way to have constant power at the cig. lighter with the key off. I don't know how many times I've had to charge my phone but have had to have the key in the ignition. It'd be nice to plug it in, lock the truck and walk away. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2012, 02:37 AM   #3
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
I have the write up for it saved as a bookmark on my comp but it'll be a while before I get to it. Google site:tacomaworld.com constant power to cigarette lighter and see what comes up also search for Free/Cheap mod sticky and it'll be on that list.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...free-mods.html

I can't seem to find the write up I used so I'll just post up the instructions here in a few minutes.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...html#post57580

Here.. THANKS.. I must have been tired last night. haha.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
Will The Thrill

Ha it's alright the link at Tundra solutions is the way I did it but our Tacoma's the relay fuse is under the hood but same principal.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorseforever View Post
Ha it's alright the link at Tundra solutions is the way I did it but our Tacoma's the relay fuse is under the hood but same principal.
Wait... So in my 2011 TRD sport double cab, this relay is under the hood and I don't take the dash apart? Now, you've got me confused...
Old 05-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
Will The Thrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TRDSPORT View Post
Wait... So in my 2011 TRD sport double cab, this relay is under the hood and I don't take the dash apart? Now, you've got me confused...
Give me a second. The relay for the the plug is under the hood of my '01 you need to look under the hood for a thing that say's "PWR Outlet" pull that fuse and stick a piece of paper or something non-conductive under the relay switch.

I put a piece of paper there so that it would be always on.

This is what it looks like unmodified. You need to lift that little sprig/magnet thing and slide something non conductive there so that the circuit is always closed.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Paper + something that gets hot isn't that great of an idea.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #11
Will The Thrill

Going on a years worth of use now and no problem. I just snapped that pic and there appears to be no signs of the paper getting anywhere near the point of burning.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #12
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Paper + something that gets hot isn't that great of an idea.

Next post
"My truck is on fire, anybody have good suggestion"

Old 05-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #13
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I'm just a bit paranoid.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #14
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorseforever View Post
Going on a years worth of use now and no problem. I just snapped that pic and there appears to be no signs of the paper getting anywhere near the point of burning.
Wouldn't be better to use Electrical tape something that does not collect moisture and won't do short
Old 05-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #15
Will The Thrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I'm just a bit paranoid.
It's understandable if you saw my power wire for my amp that little piece of paper wouldn't be a big deal.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #16
Jonah is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
Jonah's Tacoma Gallery
The relay won't get hot if the contacts don't close and there's no power draw. Your fix may be a bit "ghetto", but no reason it shouldn't work just fine.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #17
Will The Thrill

It's drawing power 24/7 but the only thing I have plugged in there is a phone charger that draws less than a tenth of a watt per hour so it's nowhere near enough power to get hot or bust the fuse.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #18
Awesome. I'll take a look..
Old 05-09-2012, 02:13 AM   #19
Is the anything to worry about while starting and shutting off the truck while the phone charger is plugged in? One of the electrical genius' that I work with was talking about potential power surges etc..
Old 08-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #20
I don't know what to write here
12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

12DblCab's Tacoma Gallery
I wanted to post another pic of the method in post #9 that doesn't involve a crumbled up piece of paper and blurry photo. I cut a piece of plastic using wire cutters, wedged it in the relay, and replaced the relay cover. I like this method better because I think it looks more natural than the "jumper" wire you see in other threads, and Toyota won't look at it funny if they mess with the fuse panel for whatever reason.
I'm use to having 24/7 cigarette lighters from my F150 days, so I was eager to do this. I have to charge my Streamlight Stinger flashlight in a car for several hours.

This is on a 2012 Tacoma Doublecab, and it affects both cigarette lighters. The relay is on the fuse panel under the steering column, not under the hood, for the 2nd generation Tacomas. There are other write-ups telling how to get to it.