1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Remote starter help/advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by WillzTaco, May 10, 2012.

1. May 10, 2012 at 7:40 AM
    WillzTaco

WillzTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off Road Silver
    Hey guys I just bought a Viper 5704 remote starter and alarm system. Anyone have this or have opinions about it? Also, I was going to try and tackle the install myself, but Ive never done a remote start before. I can read wiring diagrams and I'm a computer engineer so i was thinking i could handle it. I looked at all the wire and got discouraged though and called best buy and they want to charge like $300 to install :eek: Im on the fence about the DIY or paying to install. What does everyone think? What should i do? I'd probably make a write up on it considering i didn't find one and i think it'd be very helpful on saving some coin. Thanks for any help/advice

2. May 10, 2012 at 1:09 PM
    jonatay

jonatay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    '19 Black DCSB TRD Offroad 4x4
  3. May 10, 2012 at 2:54 PM
    Rellik01

Rellik01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Windermere, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 White
    Bull Guard powder coated white, chrome aftermarket tail lights,Led interior lights, Factory roof rack, Bug deflector, Factory tow package, Garmin GPS, Viper 5901 alarm with auto start, Weather tech window wind deflectors, , 3" Tube steps powder coated white, CB Radio, Radio Scanner.
    It will be the best $300.00 you ever spent. Say you get hung up in the middle of the install, you may be down for several days.

4. May 10, 2012 at 3:11 PM
    fixer5000

fixer5000 the logical one

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner limited in nautical blue
    let a pro do it

5. May 10, 2012 at 3:15 PM
    Cowboyz

Cowboyz Membor

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Southern Utah/Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    07 DC LB TRD Sport
    6in Pro Comp stage 2 lift, 2.75in ProComp Coilovers, Rear MX6 adjustable shocks, 35in Nittro Trail Grapplers, 17 in XD Spys, URD intake, URD MAF Calibrator, Flowmaster 40 Series, AMP Power steps, debadged, blacked out tail lights, Blacked out headlights w/ Mini H1 Retros and halos, JVC KW-AVX840 7" Double-Din, Viper 5704 2way alarm/remote start, LEDs in Dome, Maps, and license plate lights, short black antenna, 5% Tint, removed sway bar
    I just had that installed about a month ago and it took the professional over 4 hours to install. Its not something you would want to put yourself through. Shop around on install costs. Best Buy is quite expensive

6. May 10, 2012 at 3:27 PM
    mynewtoy

mynewtoy I like men

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    09 double cab 4x4
    Detriot locker rear ARB air locker front 4.56 gears OME 3" lift, SPC uca's , moto metal 951 wheels 315/75/r16 Treadwright guard dogs, homemade front plate bumper with smittybilt 9.5k winch, homemade skids, homemade Bed bars, Mobtown offroad high clearance rear bumper with tire carrier, Homemade rock sliders , U-bolt flip, Wheeler's super bumps, BORA 1" wheel spacers , Black headlight mod , black tail lights, Satoshi Grill , autoPage C3 RS-665 alarm with remote start, flowmaster 40 series exhaust, cruise control,bed/ground effect lights, wet okole seat covers, tinted,windows, weather tech floor mats, AVS vent shades, debadged, hidden cobra 19 cb, 7" offroad lights behind grill, rear diff breather relocate, abs kill switch
    i did a remote start install on my truck myself.it took me 4 afternoons . my advice is take it to a pro. it will the best money you ever spent.

7. May 10, 2012 at 3:39 PM
    J4RR

J4RR Well-Known Member

Member:
    The OC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC LB TRD SPORT 4X4
    Had mine done at best buy, spend the money! Remote start is awesome.

8. May 10, 2012 at 7:01 PM
    sun

sun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner
    Pioneer avic-z130bt with axxess aswc and rear cam mod, audiovox 10 flip down monitor, Pyle pl76d headrest monitors, kicker cvr tens wired down to one ohm with hifonics Brutus 1200.1, Clazzio seat covers, 20% tint on front windows, polished factory exhaust, peragon retractable bed cover, pop n lock tailgate handle with dei actuators for automatic lock, viper 5901 alarm remote start with viper smart start, hid bixenon 4500k headlights with 4500k fog lights, led map license plate lights and dome lights
    Hit me up if u decide to do it ur self I install them all the time professionally lol yea it took me about 4 hrs too on my taco but ima about ready to ripp it out and do something different idk yet lol. I got the 5901 which is the 5704 the difference is the 5704 has a sperate shock sensor which is awesome another thing is does ur taco have the chip in the key? If u don't know look at ur key and see if there is a G or dot at the base on the metal of the key if there is u got a chip and u will need a bypass which is another issue in itself

Products Discussed in

To Top