1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 4Runner quick review

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cjcarner, May 11, 2012.

1. May 11, 2012 at 7:12 AM
    cjcarner

cjcarner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 6MT DCSB
    Rhino Rack roof rack with an Inno fairing, Snugtop Rebel cap
    I took my tacoma into the dealership today to have the crap black tokiko shocks replaced with my trd ones, because they thought that the TSB implied that it would be a good idea to swap them out. As mad as I was about the situation, they gave me a free rental for the day.
    Initially I was told by the fairly hot rental lady that all they had for a rental was a minivan. However, after a few minutes of macking on her, they suddenly had a 2012 4runner. Seeing as how the 4Runner and Tacoma used to be related, I thought I’d give a quick review on how I liked it. Bottom line up front: don’t trade your taco (as if anyone here would anyway…).

What I liked:
    -the radio—had a dedicated “party mode” key. Bro-ish? Maybe. But I liked it. It was basically an EQ tune that cranked the bass and mids.
    -smooth at highway speeds—seems that the steering column issue on the tacos doesn’t apply to the 4Runner. Ran very smooth, tough to tell when I was going 70, unlike in the taco.
    -Range-has a range left on the HUD with the temp and direction. Useful, but not really necessary.
    -Black interior—pretty much everything except some trim and the center console are black. I’ve always liked that more than the gray we have.
    -All auto buttons—the window switches were ALL AUTO. Imagine that. Welcome to the 21st century. This includes the rear window. What? You don’t have to get out on the highway and open the rear window (for those without BenWA’s mod)? Amazing.

What I didn’t like:
    -Seats-don’t grip you like the TRD ones and not really comfortable.
    -Interior is HUGE—might seem like a pro to some, but I like how the tacoma’s interior seems to “fit” me. I’m 5’8” and the Tacoma seems nicely sized. The 4Runner seems to have been made for 6’3” gargantuan overweight Americans, which is sadly a trend I think will only get worse.
    -Top heavy—doesn’t take a corner like a Tacoma, and that’s not saying much. Don’t take one of these out on a trail.
    -Exterior is huge—goes along with the huge interior. Just too big. 4Runners used to be a “midsize” SUV. This thing is bigger than old Highlanders.
    -Visibility—initially I believed that the huge windows would mean great visibility… I was wrong. I felt tiny inside it and it was difficult to get a good 360 degree view.
    -Window switches up high—who knows why Toyota did this? The switches are about 6” higher than the arm rest. You’d have to reach up to roll up or down the windows. Not a huge real, but annoying to live with for 5 years or so.

2. May 11, 2012 at 7:18 AM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    I like how they look and I've seen some go wheeling they do pretty good I saw pic of some guy going through the rubicon trail , bone stock 2012 4runner with smashed panels but it did it

3. May 11, 2012 at 7:49 AM
    Toytruckmike

Toytruckmike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Amarillo, Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport AC 6sp 4x4 Gone:18 TRD Sport 4x4 double cab. Cement
    Not much on the 07 yet. 18 is gone, but was a greata truck. TRD Pro grill, Gator FX3, Homelink mirror, Black out badges & exhaust tip, Remote start. Future TRD exhaust, skid plate.
    That "Party Mode" button is intended to be used when tailgating and you have the rear hatch open, from what I remember reading when they came out. It is cool having a dedicated Party Mode button on the dash.

I have made every effort to talk myself into liking them, but they are just ugly. There is something wrong with the way they did the wheel wells. They wheels look tucked under the body too much. They have the same problem that those Jeep Commander from a few years back.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All that damn chrome striping doesn't help either. Has anyone looked a a year old one on a used car lot? The tops of those headlights are already oxidizing badly, after a year!

I think the 4runner peaked for me personally with the 08 Urban Runner edition. I still droll when I see those.
    [​IMG]

That's what I think.
    Michael

4. May 11, 2012 at 8:11 AM
    smokeyF1

smokeyF1 Member

Member:
    I like the 4runner's, like everything else there is bound to be something good and bad about it.

5. May 11, 2012 at 8:27 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    In the 2nd Gen section, nicely done :thumbsup:

6. May 11, 2012 at 8:36 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    That's 'cause everything goes in the 2nd Gen section :cool:

7. May 11, 2012 at 8:37 AM
    cjcarner

cjcarner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 6MT DCSB
    Rhino Rack roof rack with an Inno fairing, Snugtop Rebel cap
    Yup in the 2nd gen. I own a second gen and my review is from the point of view of a taco owner. Deal with it.

But you're right I should've put my 4runner review in the 4runner section so people who own one can read my review.... Derp

Products Discussed in

To Top