1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which Winch for Hunting:

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by elk340, May 12, 2012.

?

Hunting Winch?

Poll closed Jun 11, 2012.
  1. VR8000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. VR8000-s

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. VR10000

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. VR10000-s

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. M8000

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  6. M8000-s

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  7. XD9000

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  8. Smittybilt XRC8

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  1. May 12, 2012 at 8:09 AM
    elk340

elk340 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Toytec ULK; OME Dakar leaf packs; Light Racing UCAs; OME carrier bearing drop; Toytec 3 degree axle shims; Toytec sway bar relocate kit; Toytec extended rear brake lines; ARE CX topper; BAMF rear differential skid; BAMF LCA skids; BAMF sliders; Budbuilt IFS, mid, transmission, and gas tank skids; HomerTaco mesh; River Rat 69 satoshi grille; Toyota Land Cruiser radiator grille emblem; tinted windows; Toyota all-weather floor mats; Toyota bedmat; I-Pod interface; block heater; ATO hi-lift bed rail mounts; HL-605 Hi-Lift; RotoPax 4-gallon gas can and bed rail mounts; mattgecko sliding window security bar; Sockmonkey decals.
    Hey guys,
    I need your opinions on which winch I should get. I plan on either an ARB or 3-hoop Demello, still undecided. I do not intend to "wheel" for the sake of wheeling. Most of the year, the poor Taco just sits in the driveway. I do get it out about 3 months of the year for hunting/camping. When I go hunting/camping, I do end up wheeling just because some of the roads I use to get where I am going are rough and are typically "Jeep" trails. I do occasionally get stuck, but this has only happened a handful of times throughout my existence. Even so, I would like to get a winch in order to save my ass, if necessary. I cannot count on someone being in the area to pull me out because there are usually no people in the locations I go. Plus, I typically hunt/camp alone because I do not know anyone. I need something reliable that will work when I need it to, but it will not see frequent action. It may get used once per year, if that. I would like to keep costs between $299-$900 if at all possible. Otherwise, my wife's sense will prevail.

Your help is appreciated!
    Justin

Edit:
    As for weight of the vehicle, with the possiblility of having up to 800 lbs of dead animal in the back, camping/hunting gear, and also a few heavier aftermarket parts, I would plan on an additional 1200 lbs min. over factory curb weight of a '11 Access Cab.

2. May 12, 2012 at 8:18 AM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    2012 FJ Cruiser Maggiolina Medium Grand Tour w/winter hood National Luna dual battery split charging system ABR Sidewinder Aux battery tray ARB 50qt Fridge w/Transit Bag Bajarack flat rack w/ladder Crawlarado flat black hood blackout TRD exhaust Trasharoo Outback FJ roof console
    Anything Warn and not the VR series. You don't want to cheap out on things like winches. Im usually camping and exploring alone so I have an M8000 stuffed in my ARB just in case. The M8000 has been around for a long time and is very reliable.

3. May 12, 2012 at 1:06 PM
    elk340

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Toytec ULK; OME Dakar leaf packs; Light Racing UCAs; OME carrier bearing drop; Toytec 3 degree axle shims; Toytec sway bar relocate kit; Toytec extended rear brake lines; ARE CX topper; BAMF rear differential skid; BAMF LCA skids; BAMF sliders; Budbuilt IFS, mid, transmission, and gas tank skids; HomerTaco mesh; River Rat 69 satoshi grille; Toyota Land Cruiser radiator grille emblem; tinted windows; Toyota all-weather floor mats; Toyota bedmat; I-Pod interface; block heater; ATO hi-lift bed rail mounts; HL-605 Hi-Lift; RotoPax 4-gallon gas can and bed rail mounts; mattgecko sliding window security bar; Sockmonkey decals.
    Enzo, I don't know of anyone with a VR since I believe they are relatively new. Do you think that, because they are built with cheaper components, they are any less reliable? I don't want to get cheap, but I also don't want to needlessly waste money. I've heard of an XRC8 making more than 100 hard pulls with no problems, but then again, this may be an exception and not the rule.

I, like you, go out alone. Based on our shared interests, would you recommend synthetic or cable?

4. May 12, 2012 at 1:26 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    You might want to consider using a removable/hitch mounted winch cradle. You could have a custom hitch welded into your frame up front, or you could just use your factory hitch in the rear (with a wiring harness extension from Warn - $200)

I've just changed over from a plate bumper to this sort of set up. I needed to get weight off the front of the truck for suspension performance. I keep a recovery strap and shackles behind the back seat, all the other recovery gear, including the winch, goes in a plastic tough box that bolts down in the bed of the truck when I go wheeling. Keep the weight in the center of the truck, keeps the winch out of the elements, and gives me the option of winching from the front or rear of the truck.

5. May 12, 2012 at 1:30 PM
    SampleFool

SampleFool Three Percenter

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Ga
    Vehicle:
    Silver
    08 off-road
    Dude, alot of guys are running the smittybuilt xrc8 and never have problems with them. There is a new line of smittybuilt X2O, water tight solenoid and winch motor. Saves you some hard earned cash and built buy a brand that is trusted.

6. May 12, 2012 at 1:33 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Superwinch LP 10,000. They mostly make industrial winches, but that sense of overkill and engineering filters down into their line of personal vehicle winches.

Warn or Superwinch. Whichever you can find cheaper, you can't go wrong.

7. May 12, 2012 at 1:45 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke

FWIW I've heard the exact opposite and know of two friends who have had them fail.

8. May 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM
    newskooler

newskooler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Shasta, Ca
    Vehicle:
    1997 ext cab base, 2012 Base Access cab, 2018 trd OR
    Mall Crawler
    Agree with the superwinch I have an lp8500 and so far its been awesome. I haven't gotten stuck enough to really need it but I got a snatch block for change in direction pulls and mechanical advantage

9. May 12, 2012 at 2:04 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    I like my smittybilt xrc8. I sealed up the solenoid and haven't had one issue. I've used it quite a bit too.

That being said, a superwinch was out of my reach $$$, but that's what I'd have gotten if I had the cash. Talon 9.5, EP 9.0, or X9. I'd rather have one of those than a Warn, personally.

Superwinch also just came out with a line of entry level winches as well, FWIW.

Do some research on the albright solenoid vs warns solenoids.

10. May 12, 2012 at 2:11 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Those entry levels are rebranded LP 8500 and LP 10,000s.

Look at them side by side they've just got fancy stickers on them. There was a slight difference in the amp draw or line in speed, but it was so slight as to be negligible.

11. May 12, 2012 at 2:15 PM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    This is the one I'm thinking of for my Demello.

12. May 12, 2012 at 2:19 PM
    Royden

Royden Active Member

Member:
    lost somewhere in NW Mt.
    Vehicle:
    '05 DCSB Taco
    chainsaw winch - portable, packable and will easily pull your rig too.

13. May 12, 2012 at 2:41 PM
    elk340

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Sorry guys, I was just scouting a local Craigslist add on a never used, only installed, VR10000 and got the guy to agree to $300 cash. I jumped on it. I hope I didn't screw up. Please don't flame me. I would still like to hear your input because you guys have far more experience than I.

14. May 12, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    My xrc8 is on its second motor and the power box has issues. I've used it for probably 40 pulls. Some of them long hard pulls.

It is workable but it is not reliable - you have to be prepared to mess with it in the field when you need it most. I have switched to a warn.

Carry a snatch block. Or three. Will save your winch and your ass every time.

15. May 12, 2012 at 7:10 PM
    elk340

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    I definitely plan on picking up a few snatch blocks and a few other items. I'm still debating on whether to go synthetic or not. Not sure if it is worth the money, even though, it sounds like it is much safer and easier to work with. I need to unspool and respool this winch. The dude I bought it from did a terrible job. It doesn't look like it was respooled under any tension and is not tightly wound.

16. May 12, 2012 at 7:11 PM
    elk340

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Yeah, I realized that afterwards :confused: I'll need to familiarize myself with everything having to do with a winch. This is my first one.

17. May 12, 2012 at 7:14 PM
    elk340

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    I was definitely looking at the M8000-s if I were to purchase one new, but, since I found a VR10000 for $300, I figured I'd give it a shot. If/when it craps out, I'll get something more highly recommended. Even if it saves my butt once, it would be worth $300 to me.

18. May 12, 2012 at 7:17 PM
    elk340

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    I didn't even think of this...

19. May 12, 2012 at 8:11 PM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    XRC8 is great price and I've put mine under much stress a couple dozen times with no problems.

20. May 12, 2012 at 8:53 PM
    elk340

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    I'll look into this as an option instead of a new plate bumper; however, the bumper would have a few additional benefits.

Thanks for all of your guys' feedback!

Products Discussed in

To Top