1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Backup Camera in Mirror AND Nav

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by uber27, May 13, 2012.

1. Aug 9, 2012 at 12:26 PM
    Tactical Tacoma

Tactical Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    ARB air compressor, ARB rear air locker, sPOD switch panel in sunglass holder, OME Front & rear shocks, 885x coils, Dakar leaf springs, Icon tubular UCA's, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust, aFe Pro Dry, TRD Sport wheels powder coated anthracite, FJ TRD center caps, Thule roof rack, 886 fog lights for reverse light mod, CSjumper LED DTRL's, Nokya Yellow fogs, plastidipped lower valence, Weathertechs, Wet Okoles. And MANY MORE MODS, READ BUILD!
    Are you sure he did it on a 2012, factory Entune unit with factory camera. I don't know of anyone that has done it with those components on a 2012 yet. Only people with aftermarket headunits and cams from what I've found/seen.

2. Aug 9, 2012 at 1:00 PM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    yeah I am sure, I found it when I was looking to see if it was done before.

3. Aug 9, 2012 at 1:12 PM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    11 MGM DCLB TRD Sport +leather
    Rear camera anytime switch, 4x4 Illuminated Switch (from rcbs204) , rear view mirror lift bracket (from ImMrYo), 75 cent tailgate anti-theft. Technically not mods but give me a break I'm trying to fill space here... OEM Leather pkg, keyless unlock & ACC chime silence, BakFlip G2, Ultra Gauge EM, WeatherTech floor mats, OEM roof rack
    This is well documented on here.. I've done it myself too.. Here's the thread:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...anytime-rear-view-camera-switch-dash-mod.html

4. Aug 9, 2012 at 3:28 PM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
  5. Aug 9, 2012 at 3:29 PM
    Tactical Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    ARB air compressor, ARB rear air locker, sPOD switch panel in sunglass holder, OME Front & rear shocks, 885x coils, Dakar leaf springs, Icon tubular UCA's, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust, aFe Pro Dry, TRD Sport wheels powder coated anthracite, FJ TRD center caps, Thule roof rack, 886 fog lights for reverse light mod, CSjumper LED DTRL's, Nokya Yellow fogs, plastidipped lower valence, Weathertechs, Wet Okoles. And MANY MORE MODS, READ BUILD!
    Got a link? I have been searching for this solution since May and have yet to find anyone to do it successfully. And I mean I've searched and searched

6. Aug 9, 2012 at 3:46 PM
    Tactical Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    I thought the same thing, but if you read the quote he posted, his response was in regards to someone who was inquiring about being able to turn the camera on whenever they want.

However, the thread, as a whole, is in regards to routing the image to both the mirror and the entune screen. I want to be able to do this SO BAD! Not only do I want to have it on both screens when in reverse, but I would also like to have the capability to flip a switch and display it on the mirror ONLY, whenever I want. I did the anytime cam switch mod on my 09 Prerunner and LOVED IT. I liked being able to check on my trailer when in tow.

7. Aug 13, 2012 at 1:34 AM
    WARR4NT

WARR4NT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bumping for interest...I'm no electrician. I'm gonna pull my headliner down this weekend and see if it's as easy as just plugging it in. When I pulled the headliner in my Tundra to hardwire my radar detector to the mirror, I remember seeing extra wires/plugs up there marked for a overhead DVD system I didn't have.

8. Aug 13, 2012 at 1:27 PM
    bjboucher

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    Yeah, i'm definitely interested. I hate looking at my dash to use the camera and I really want those marker lines that are in the mirror's screen!

9. Aug 13, 2012 at 4:13 PM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    2012 FJ Cruiser Maggiolina Medium Grand Tour w/winter hood National Luna dual battery split charging system ABR Sidewinder Aux battery tray ARB 50qt Fridge w/Transit Bag Bajarack flat rack w/ladder Crawlarado flat black hood blackout TRD exhaust Trasharoo Outback FJ roof console
    Check your owners manual. Mine says that if I'm I've got a certain something (can't remember what exactly) on the NAV screen it will automatically revert to the rear view mirror. I haven't tried it yet but I will when I have time.

Edit-just noticed you wanted both at the same time. Nvm

10. Aug 13, 2012 at 11:52 PM
    Tactical Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    Wish this was true, but it's not. No matter what is on the entune screen when you put the truck in reverse, it will display the image on the entune nav screen. A lot of the entune manual is broad and covers other systems and functions that the Tacoma entune doesn't even have. I've read both the owners manual and entune manual front to back and tried all the tricks. No luck on reverse image being routed to the mirror.

11. Aug 19, 2012 at 8:35 PM
    Spot50

Spot50 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2012 2WD V6 Prerunner
    Curtis Front End Hitch BaKFlip VP Tonneau cover Pop & Lock PL 8521 AMP Power Steps AMP-75142-01A
    I contacted a Toyota tech (actually where I purchased the truck) and was told that the wiring was either one way or another - that is, either the entune screen or the mirror but NOT both.

12. Aug 20, 2012 at 3:30 AM
    bjboucher

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Doesn't seem like it should be that difficult to switch it though. Hopefully someone figures it out and writes up a nice "How to".

13. Aug 20, 2012 at 4:40 PM
    AMG4LIFE

AMG4LIFE Honey Badger Don't Care

Member:
    First Name:
    Honey Badger
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 Off Road, JBL Entune
    2013 4x4 Off Road, Icon S2 Modular Kit, Icon Omega Double Bypass's Front & Rear, Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs with 700lb Springs, Icon Rear Hydro Bumps, AllPro Leaf Pack, Limit Strapped Rear Axle, AllPro Rear Bumper With Side Rock Guards & Flush Mounted Lights, Pelfreybilt Front Bumper, Pelfreybilt Skids, Pelfreybilt Sliders With Kick Out, Pelfreybilt 4 Tab Bed Bar With Rear Facing LED Dust Lights, Warren 9500 Wench, Rigid SR20, Rigid Duellys, Hood Hinge Mounted LED Lights, Best Top Soft Top, TRD Exhaust, HID Head Lights, Addict Rims, 295/70/17 NittoTrail Grappler Tires, Color Matched Grill, Tint.
    Bump! Very interested in this mod as well!!

14. Aug 20, 2012 at 8:17 PM
    geoff7877

geoff7877 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road 4X4 Double Cab
    I guess this is the ONLY plus to having the crappy stereo. I love that my back camera view is in the mirror.

15. Aug 20, 2012 at 8:22 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    My wife needs those.

On her windshield :D

16. Aug 22, 2012 at 5:35 PM
    mandotaco

mandotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    '12 MG DCSB TRD-OR
    Alright, let's get this started. I highly doubt that the non-entune trucks have different wiring or a different mirror. There is a small harness going from the truck to the mirror, if anything, I bet that in the ENTUNE models that harness is simply missing a wire so that the mirror never gets the signal to turn on the reverse image. This would be way more simple than having 2 harnesses in the trucks themselves during assembly...

But, in hopes of coming up with a solution, let's figure it out. I have a 2012 with Entune, the back of my mirror says GENTEX model GHSHL4. As far as wiring, I will have to double check what wires I have missing from the plug, seen in the attached pic (I think not all 12 spots are filled).

Someone with a 2012 with reverse cam in mirror but WITHOUT Entune, get the model number and number of wires in the harness that plugs into the mirror and we can try and figure out what's up. The cover is easy to remove just pop it off.

IMG_20120807_120943[1].jpg

17. Aug 22, 2012 at 5:54 PM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    stock
    2012, its an aftermarket HU but it comes up to both. just tapped the camera wires and fed them to the HU. (this was already covered in the thread i think) but just wanted to put the photo up. i find the lines on the mirror more helpful than using the HU.
    my truck did not come with the camera or mirror. i ordered them from a user on the forum and plugged them in.

5791369A-128C-454C-8E27-1DBE9CB88E3C-636_b7d8ccb831ac290481bde196524a41c64c84798f.jpg

18. Aug 22, 2012 at 8:28 PM
    Robo02cop

Robo02cop Well-Known Member

Member:
    Island of Nunya
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB SPORT
    TRD Intake, Avic D3 DVD Player, Toyota Bed Extender, & Tinted Windows.
    B737 - what dash kit did u use?? I have the Scoshe for the 05-11 but have been afraid to install as I heard the fit was horrible!!!

19. Aug 22, 2012 at 8:40 PM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    stock
    It is the 2011 Metra Dash kit. It took a lot of tweaking but it came out great. in fact i could live with it in its current state with no problem. In the future i will swap it out, but am in no hurry. No one would ever notice.

It will take some adjusting and trimming of the parts but you can get it to fit properly. the curve towards the top is slightly different, but once you fit it in there right the gap lines will be tight and equal. you also need to dremmel, file or trim the hazard light cut out. but its very tight, doesnt rattle, shake or move, and the gaps are good.

20. Aug 24, 2012 at 7:31 AM
    Drew1287

Drew1287 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    16 sport
    anyone have any new info in regards to getting the mirror working?

Products Discussed in

To Top