1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Backup Camera in Mirror AND Nav

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by uber27, May 13, 2012.

1. May 13, 2012 at 9:15 PM
    uber27

uber27 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    12 DC TRD OffRoad
    I have a 2012 with Entune. Because of this, my Backup Camera shows up in the navigation but not in the mirror. Does anyone know if there is a way to get my backup camera to display in the mirror as well?

2. May 13, 2012 at 10:13 PM
    Nick82

Nick82 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Richmond ky
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB MGM 4x4 sport tow nav
    ARB winch bumper
    I have no idea, but I really hope there is a way.

3. May 14, 2012 at 5:29 AM
    SodakTaco

SodakTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCab TRD Sport
    Floor mats
    Does your mirror have a lcd screen in it?

4. May 14, 2012 at 6:29 AM
    drsus

drsus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    4Runner TRDpro
    stock
    yes, it has the LCD mirror in it and it has the rear view camera settings menu in it.

i to got excited at the prospect of having it in both when i saw the menu in the mirror, but no dice. there most be a hack for this

5. May 14, 2012 at 6:55 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    I was thinking of the same thing execpt to have a camera on the front of the truck that shows in the mirror.

6. May 14, 2012 at 9:10 AM
    uber27

uber27 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    12 DC TRD OffRoad
    Like drsus, I have the LCD screen in my mirror and it has a settings menu for Backup Camera...options are "Always On" and "Always Off" but neither seems to do anything.

7. Jun 4, 2012 at 12:51 PM
    DavidS

DavidS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    In front? How about looking out the windshield? :)

Actually, I know what you mean. The hood is so high, it's hard to see how close you've pulled up to things. Sorry about being a smart ass. I've actually considered the same thing, but I want to be able to turn on the BU camera when I'm in drive.

8. Jun 5, 2012 at 7:14 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    I have the DCLB so it is lllooonnnggg. I always seem to park with a foot or two away from things in the front and when I get out the ass seems to poke out.

I was thinking if it was a back up cam in the grill I could easily get close to things in the front.

9. Jun 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM
    Nick54

Nick54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...
    I installed a JCV Head Unit with backup cam capability and just tapped the wires in the stock backup camera plug. If I remember right its in the drivers side kick panel. I think there is a post that shows this on TW. Now I have simultanious mirror and head unit backup images. After making the wiring connection I just enabled the backup camera in the head unit. I'll see if I can find the write up and post it here if I do.

10. Jun 5, 2012 at 11:32 AM
    sgrounds22

sgrounds22 Active Member

Member:
    Plano, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 Pre-runner TRD Sport
    I have the factory nav unit in my Taco and although the LCD is in the rear view mirror. It does not display the camera. There are some options related to the rear view, but they do not do anything.

11. Aug 8, 2012 at 8:47 AM
    kx250rider

kx250rider Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Ventura County, CA
    Vehicle:
    '96 4x4 Hilux 2.8 Diesel, '12 Prerunner V6, '06 Long Travel Prerunner
    Converted legally in CA to a Toyota "3L" 2.8 Diesel from Germany
    I will investigate on my '12. I have JBL + Entune, etc., and the mirror screen (if it's there) is turned off. I suspect that IF it's actually the same LCD display as in the models with no navigation (and the backup cam shows in the mirror), it's just disabled. Likely there is a feed from the backup camera (driver kick panel per another TW member), and maybe at that point it is plugged into one of two harness connectors to send the signal either to the mirror or to the radio head.

I'll post up again when I figure it out, but I'm busy for the rest of the week, and might not get at it right away.

Charles

12. Aug 8, 2012 at 1:47 PM
    WARR4NT

WARR4NT Well-Known Member

Member:

Sub'd... I have a 12 DCLB with JBL Entune nav and I hate the back up camera coming up on the nav. I think it's safer on the rear view camera because you can see further behind you looking at both the rear view mirror and monitor at the same time. And I miss the guide lines helping aim into a parking spot evenly between the lines. The lines are on the mirror but not the nav.

2qdsutu_ae771dc991baf606783e7512e09348df12e5a9b6.jpg

13. Aug 8, 2012 at 1:57 PM
    PaintDrinkingPete

PaintDrinkingPete Well-Known Member

Member:
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    Funny, I feel almost the opposite way. I have just a standard radio, so my bakcup cam is in the mirror, and it kinda bugs me at times, because in certain light it can be hard to differentiate between objects in the mirror and the projected cam image. I do prefer the cam in the NAV screen (if I had one), so I can use it and see the full view in my rear view. I didn't know the guidelines weren't there though...I do like those.

None the less, I'd image it's possible to do it as long as the mirror itself is capable.

14. Aug 8, 2012 at 2:15 PM
    WARR4NT

WARR4NT Well-Known Member

Member:
    I thought I'd rather have it in the nav too, then I traded my '10 Tundra in that had the backup camera in the mirror and now I miss it.

15. Aug 8, 2012 at 5:25 PM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    First post. Got excited when I saw this thread, was hoping there was a fix. The first Tacoma I test drove had the back-up camera in the mirror and I preferred that over it being in my Entune. Hopefully someone figure out a fix for this soon!

16. Aug 8, 2012 at 5:57 PM
    Tactical Tacoma

Tactical Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    ARB air compressor, ARB rear air locker, sPOD switch panel in sunglass holder, OME Front & rear shocks, 885x coils, Dakar leaf springs, Icon tubular UCA's, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust, aFe Pro Dry, TRD Sport wheels powder coated anthracite, FJ TRD center caps, Thule roof rack, 886 fog lights for reverse light mod, CSjumper LED DTRL's, Nokya Yellow fogs, plastidipped lower valence, Weathertechs, Wet Okoles. And MANY MORE MODS, READ BUILD!
    Yeah, I'm hoping for a fix on this too. I played around with the wiring. I was hoping to be able to tap into the existing wiring going to the Nav and run it into the mirror, but no luck. I think I had the feeds right, but need to find out a way to get the mirror to recognize that the truck is in reverse. I am good with wiring, but not diagrams, lol. I'm gonna set aside an entire weekend to figure this out and try to be a hero to all of us Entuners.

17. Aug 8, 2012 at 6:22 PM
    12DblCab

12DblCab I don't know what to write here

Member:
    South
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport "Pyrite Mica"
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but is there a way to display the lines on the back up camera like in "WARR4NTS" post but on the Navigation screen? I assume it already has it on the mirror display?

18. Aug 8, 2012 at 6:36 PM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    Not from what I've read, those lines are only on the mirror.

19. Aug 9, 2012 at 5:54 AM
    kx250rider

kx250rider Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Ventura County, CA
    Vehicle:
    '96 4x4 Hilux 2.8 Diesel, '12 Prerunner V6, '06 Long Travel Prerunner
    Converted legally in CA to a Toyota "3L" 2.8 Diesel from Germany
    I believe this is correct. My F350 work truck has an aftermarket mirror with display, and it has the identical lines. The lines weren't there on the monitor I had in there before, with the same camera.

Charles

20. Aug 9, 2012 at 6:21 AM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    someone done this mod on here to have both, do a search and you should find it. he has pics of both working.

Products Discussed in

To Top