Notices

Backup Camera in Mirror AND Nav

Old 05-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
uber27 is on a distinguished road
EMS:
Name: Jason
uber27's Tacoma Gallery
Backup Camera in Mirror AND Nav

I have a 2012 with Entune. Because of this, my Backup Camera shows up in the navigation but not in the mirror. Does anyone know if there is a way to get my backup camera to display in the mirror as well?
Old 05-13-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
Nick82 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Nick
Nick82's Tacoma Gallery
I have no idea, but I really hope there is a way.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:29 AM   #3
SodakTaco will become famous soon enough
SodakTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Does your mirror have a lcd screen in it?
Old 05-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
drsus is on a distinguished road

drsus's Tacoma Gallery
yes, it has the LCD mirror in it and it has the rear view camera settings menu in it.

i to got excited at the prospect of having it in both when i saw the menu in the mirror, but no dice. there most be a hack for this
Old 05-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
uber27 is on a distinguished road
EMS:
Name: Jason
uber27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SodakTaco View Post
Does your mirror have a lcd screen in it?
Like drsus, I have the LCD screen in my mirror and it has a settings menu for Backup Camera...options are "Always On" and "Always Off" but neither seems to do anything.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
DavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
DavidS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utard View Post
I was thinking of the same thing execpt to have a camera on the front of the truck that shows in the mirror.
In front? How about looking out the windshield?

Actually, I know what you mean. The hood is so high, it's hard to see how close you've pulled up to things. Sorry about being a smart ass. I've actually considered the same thing, but I want to be able to turn on the BU camera when I'm in drive.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #8
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
In front? How about looking out the windshield?

Actually, I know what you mean. The hood is so high, it's hard to see how close you've pulled up to things. Sorry about being a smart ass. I've actually considered the same thing, but I want to be able to turn on the BU camera when I'm in drive.
I have the DCLB so it is lllooonnnggg. I always seem to park with a foot or two away from things in the front and when I get out the ass seems to poke out.

I was thinking if it was a back up cam in the grill I could easily get close to things in the front.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
Nick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: E5 Machinist Mate - USS Downes San Diego Cal.
Name: Nick
Nick54's Tacoma Gallery
I installed a JCV Head Unit with backup cam capability and just tapped the wires in the stock backup camera plug. If I remember right its in the drivers side kick panel. I think there is a post that shows this on TW. Now I have simultanious mirror and head unit backup images. After making the wiring connection I just enabled the backup camera in the head unit. I'll see if I can find the write up and post it here if I do.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #10
sgrounds22 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Prior service - SSgt
sgrounds22's Tacoma Gallery
I have the factory nav unit in my Taco and although the LCD is in the rear view mirror. It does not display the camera. There are some options related to the rear view, but they do not do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick54 View Post
I installed a JCV Head Unit with backup cam capability and just tapped the wires in the stock backup camera plug. If I remember right its in the drivers side kick panel. I think there is a post that shows this on TW. Now I have simultanious mirror and head unit backup images. After making the wiring connection I just enabled the backup camera in the head unit. I'll see if I can find the write up and post it here if I do.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #11
kx250rider is on a distinguished road
Name: Charles
kx250rider's Tacoma Gallery
I will investigate on my '12. I have JBL + Entune, etc., and the mirror screen (if it's there) is turned off. I suspect that IF it's actually the same LCD display as in the models with no navigation (and the backup cam shows in the mirror), it's just disabled. Likely there is a feed from the backup camera (driver kick panel per another TW member), and maybe at that point it is plugged into one of two harness connectors to send the signal either to the mirror or to the radio head.

I'll post up again when I figure it out, but I'm busy for the rest of the week, and might not get at it right away.

Charles
Old 08-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #12
WARR4NT is on a distinguished road
WARR4NT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kx250rider View Post
I will investigate on my '12. I have JBL + Entune, etc., and the mirror screen (if it's there) is turned off. I suspect that IF it's actually the same LCD display as in the models with no navigation (and the backup cam shows in the mirror), it's just disabled. Likely there is a feed from the backup camera (driver kick panel per another TW member), and maybe at that point it is plugged into one of two harness connectors to send the signal either to the mirror or to the radio head.

I'll post up again when I figure it out, but I'm busy for the rest of the week, and might not get at it right away.

Charles

Sub'd... I have a 12 DCLB with JBL Entune nav and I hate the back up camera coming up on the nav. I think it's safer on the rear view camera because you can see further behind you looking at both the rear view mirror and monitor at the same time. And I miss the guide lines helping aim into a parking spot evenly between the lines. The lines are on the mirror but not the nav.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #13
PaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PaintDrinkingPete's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARR4NT View Post
Sub'd... I have a 12 DCLB with JBL Entune nav and I hate the back up camera coming up on the nav. I think it's safer on the rear view camera because you can see further behind you looking at both the rear view mirror and monitor at the same time. And I miss the guide lines helping aim into a parking spot evenly between the lines. The lines are on the mirror but not the nav.

Funny, I feel almost the opposite way. I have just a standard radio, so my bakcup cam is in the mirror, and it kinda bugs me at times, because in certain light it can be hard to differentiate between objects in the mirror and the projected cam image. I do prefer the cam in the NAV screen (if I had one), so I can use it and see the full view in my rear view. I didn't know the guidelines weren't there though...I do like those.

None the less, I'd image it's possible to do it as long as the mirror itself is capable.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #14
WARR4NT is on a distinguished road
WARR4NT's Tacoma Gallery
I thought I'd rather have it in the nav too, then I traded my '10 Tundra in that had the backup camera in the mirror and now I miss it.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #15
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
First post. Got excited when I saw this thread, was hoping there was a fix. The first Tacoma I test drove had the back-up camera in the mirror and I preferred that over it being in my Entune. Hopefully someone figure out a fix for this soon!
Old 08-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #16
Tactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Tactical Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I'm hoping for a fix on this too. I played around with the wiring. I was hoping to be able to tap into the existing wiring going to the Nav and run it into the mirror, but no luck. I think I had the feeds right, but need to find out a way to get the mirror to recognize that the truck is in reverse. I am good with wiring, but not diagrams, lol. I'm gonna set aside an entire weekend to figure this out and try to be a hero to all of us Entuners.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #17
I don't know what to write here
12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

12DblCab's Tacoma Gallery
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but is there a way to display the lines on the back up camera like in "WARR4NTS" post but on the Navigation screen? I assume it already has it on the mirror display?
Old 08-08-2012, 07:36 PM   #18
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12DblCab View Post
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but is there a way to display the lines on the back up camera like in "WARR4NTS" post but on the Navigation screen? I assume it already has it on the mirror display?
Not from what I've read, those lines are only on the mirror.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:54 AM   #19
kx250rider is on a distinguished road
Name: Charles
kx250rider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
Not from what I've read, those lines are only on the mirror.
I believe this is correct. My F350 work truck has an aftermarket mirror with display, and it has the identical lines. The lines weren't there on the monitor I had in there before, with the same camera.

Charles
Old 08-09-2012, 07:21 AM   #20
jake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jake
jake72's Tacoma Gallery
someone done this mod on here to have both, do a search and you should find it. he has pics of both working.