1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How much gas do you have when the low fuel light goes on?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Hawkvenom, May 14, 2012.

1. May 14, 2012 at 7:18 AM
    Hawkvenom

Hawkvenom [OP] Member

Member:
    Anyone know how much gas is left in the tank when low fuel light goes on? Thanks.

2. May 14, 2012 at 8:07 AM
    MSL77385

MSL77385 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Conroe, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 4cyl 5sp
    The generally accepted figure is about 4 gallons.

3. May 14, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    Toytruckmike

Toytruckmike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Amarillo, Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport AC 6sp 4x4 Gone:18 TRD Sport 4x4 double cab. Cement
    Not much on the 07 yet. 18 is gone, but was a greata truck. TRD Pro grill, Gator FX3, Homelink mirror, Black out badges & exhaust tip, Remote start. Future TRD exhaust, skid plate.
    I figure about 5 gallons on mine, cause I usually drive for a while after it appears and can get 16 gallons in. I know it is pretty early when it comes on.

4. May 14, 2012 at 10:51 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Seems to be some variation, most comments I've seen are around 17-17.5 used at light-up time. On mine it's about 17.4-17.5 used when the light comes on. Best way to figure it out is to stop for gas asap after the light comes on, subtract from 21. I've gone up to 20.7 once and 20.5 once on a fillup.

5. May 14, 2012 at 11:16 AM
    mbrogz3000

mbrogz3000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota 4Runner Limited
    Does the fuel light flash when its extremely low on fuel? I've only had the light come on once, and remember there was still plenty of fuel to get to a gas station in case of an emergency.

1/4 tank is the best rule of thumb, unless you want to pinch some extra savings on fuel prices when you know the prices are going down a few cents each day like they are now...run it till its near empty and then fill it up...or if you don't mind stopping multiple times, purchase only $8-$16 per fillup until the prices normalize again then resume normal fillup purchases.

At any rate when I fill up at a 1/4 tank, I average about 15 gallons purchased per fillup.

6. May 14, 2012 at 11:38 AM
    HonoluluTaco

HonoluluTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Koi
    Reston Virginia
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD 4x4 OffRoad DC/SB
    2010 TRD OffRoad DC/SB, 285/70/17 KM2's, Mickey Thompson Classic Locks, Total Chaos UCA's King 2.5 RR Coilover 3" AllPro Leaf Pack, 2.0 Fox RR, Ubolt flip kit, MBRP dual cat back, URD TCAI and MAF Calibrator, TRD Sport Hood w/ scoop, E&G Classics Custom Stainless Grill, Color matched grill and door handles WeatherTech floor mats, FormulaOne Pinacle 15%+Air blue windshield Tint, RedLine hood struts, TRD 3rd Brake light Decal, Relentless Fab Hybrid 2 piece Sliders with Kick out Relentless Fab Aluminum Front bumper, Relentless steel rear bumper, Relentless Steel IFS B.A.M.F LCA Skids, w/ Rear Diff Skid ordered In my Spare room waiting to be installed sits, Wet Okoles, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod, SockMonkey Hawaii TRD OffRoad Decal, Big box of Rammat, Speakers and Custom Sub from Mr.Marv,
    A little embarrased to say but I do have real world expierence with how far you can take your tacoma on empty. I had this experience with my last taco 2007 DC/SB PreRunner with 265/70/17. I had gone 40 freeway miles once after the needle was on the E line and 44 city miles after the E-line the second time, so that fits withthe 2.75 reserve after the E-line theory.
    I was on the high way the first time and turned off the A/C and went 55mph till the next gas station but did have quite an ass pucker power going though.
    Second time just F'n lazy and forgetfull, then got stuck/lost in North West Miami and could not find a station.
    Doesnt happen anymore, I live on an Island. Dont usually drive more than 10 miles at a time all day.

Products Discussed in

To Top