1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New SoftTopper: Pics and a question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Okkine, May 14, 2012.

1. May 14, 2012 at 11:25 PM
    Okkine

Okkine [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, V6, Manual Transmission, 4x4
    Hey Guys (and Gals)!

Picked up my new Softtopper over the weekend. Love it already!!

For those of you who have one, how did you attach the the window flap at the front near the cab? I was going to screw the spare snaps into the bed, but the fabric would have to wrap around the bed-rail, and it seems like it might pull it out enough to unsnap it. Similarly, wrapping it around the bed-rail doesn't leave much Velcro exposed to grip it. I'm thinking of removing the bed-rail that runs across the cab-end, but I'd rather not do that if there's a better way.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. May 15, 2012 at 5:07 AM
    prerunner11

prerunner11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2011 Magnetic Grey Prerunner Dbl Cab Sport
    Softopper
    I also have a magnetic grey taco with a black softtopper. I've been very pleased with it over the course of the past 6 months or so.

To attach the flap against the truck cab window, I slid the one piece between the cab and the bed (as I believe you're supposed to) and then put two of the velcro pieces on the top side of the bed. This has held the flap in place plenty and has not moved a bit.

Prior to using the velcro, I thought the flap would stay in place without anything holding it in. The second I went over ~50 mph the flap lifted up and started flapping around.

I contemplated using the buttons but I had the same thoughts as you. I also didn't feel like driling into my truck bed.

In case you're wondering, the window flap on the tailgate end of my truck is only secured by the bar. I haven't installed any velcro on that.

3. May 15, 2012 at 8:41 AM
    Okkine

Okkine [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, V6, Manual Transmission, 4x4
    Perfect! Thanks Preruner! I did the same thing. Seemed fine without the velcro, until I hit the highway. I considering running it along the top, but wasn't sure how it would hold. I'm going to give that a try tonight.

I was wondering about the velcro on the tailgate. I've just been using the bar, and it seems fine so far, so I think I'm going to stick with that. Doesn't look like it's flapping around enough to damage the paint..... not that the tailgate isn't already scratched up anyway :mad:

4. May 15, 2012 at 9:34 AM
    Wallygater

Wallygater Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 DBL Cab 4x4 6 speed
    Softopper, All-pro bolt-on sliders, Tom Wood's drive shaft, Goodyear 235/85/16 Dura-trac's, SG, USA-Spec I-pod adaptor, Amsoil in everything
    I drilled into my bed and put in the snaps. No issues at all. Also I have velcro on the tailgate. I did put the velcro that came with it on but it fell off. Now I have 3 strips of velcro about 2 inches long. one on each side and one in the middle. works great.:cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top