Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Way too much Caster? (I know another one of these)

Old 05-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
TacoRuthe is on a distinguished road

Name: Joshua
TacoRuthe's Tacoma Gallery
Way too much Caster? (I know another one of these)

Hey all I am relitively new to lifting and owning a truck for that matter, currently have 2011 DC PreRunner Tacoma.

Well recently I decided to pull the trigger on some new wheels and tires. I went with 18"x9 XD Monsters w/ BFG TA KO 285/65/r18's and I have started to run into issues with my alignment. Also have Bilsteins at 2.5".

At first I had no rubbing issuesand the truck seemed to drive as close to normal as it can get after a lift, however, i wanted the best handling possible so i invested in some TC UCA's. After installing i had the worst rubbing on my cab mounts (near full lock). So now my problem is i cant get into the "ideal" caster range without my tires rubbing.

I tried 2.4ish and it rubbed severly, so currently my speccs sit at

Left / Right
camber -.01 / -.01
caster 3.83 / 4.3
toe .06 / .02

This much caster give me no rubbing, So i guess my question is , is this decent alignment specs and if not would downsizing to a 265/65r18 alieviate some rubbing issues and allow me to align within speccs or........is my only option to have gone with a smaller rim size like 17"

Thanks
Old 05-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
How can 2.4 deg of caster rub severely but 4.3 deg doesn't? More caster means the wheel is tilted back more (upper ball joint moved rearward).
Old 05-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
TacoLife08 is just really niceTacoLife08 is just really niceTacoLife08 is just really niceTacoLife08 is just really nice
Air Force:
TacoLife08's Tacoma Gallery
That is way to much caster to answer your question, whether it rubs or not
Old 05-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
How can 2.4 deg of caster rub severely but 4.3 deg doesn't? More caster means the wheel is tilted back more (upper ball joint moved rearward).
Caster is added by moving the lower ball joint forward (Adjuster cams on the lower control arm), so adding more caster will move the tire forward in the wheel well, thus reducing rubbing at the rear.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoLife08 View Post
It should be fine.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
i hate alignments
Old 05-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #8

All I know is it rubbed like hell when my caster was around 2.4, unless.....the speccs the guy told me were incorrect. They did do it the old school way and didnt have a print out, just a sheet with a bunch of numbers written down.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoRuthe View Post
All I know is it rubbed like hell when my caster was around 2.4, unless.....the speccs the guy told me were incorrect. They did do it the old school way and didnt have a print out, just a sheet with a bunch of numbers written down.
Odds are, your actual caster is closer to 3*, or just a tad below. Regardless, the numbers look fine.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #10

So, your saying that the less caster i have the more "pushed forward" the tire should be in the wheel well?
Old 05-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #11
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
It might wander a little and under steer some if you push it hard in corners, but it will be fine.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoRuthe View Post
So, your saying that the less caster i have the more "pushed forward" the tire should be in the wheel well?
Who are you asking?
Old 05-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
It might wander a little and under steer some if you push it hard in corners, but it will be fine.
With that much caster, he shouldnt have any wandering at all.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #14

Alright well my main concern really was tire wear, it actually drives fine. I was only alarmed because the "ideal" speccs for caster are no where near mine.

Is it normal to have to increase caster so much for clearance? Im still baffled as to how my stock UCA's had no rubbing issues......

forget the last thing i said, you already answred it Chris (didnt read it fully)
Old 05-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #15

Well thanks for all the input, this kind of clears my mind alittle bit. I cant stand when my truck isnt perfect

I'm guessing there really is no solution to my problem besides just keeping a higher caster or changing wheel sizes?
Old 07-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #16
TacomaChris has a spectacular aura aboutTacomaChris has a spectacular aura about

TacomaChris's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoLife08 View Post
No it's not - the specs for 2011 Prerunners are 3.5 to 5 for caster...it should be fine. Also, the caster will not affect the tire wear at all...just the handling
Old 07-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #17
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
UCA adds caster by miving upper joint back. This moves whole wheel back. At 2.4/2.6 caster I also rubbed. Had to move caster to 3.4/3.6 to stop rubbing with cab mount chop, hammer pinch weld, and trim fender to stop rubbing 100% at all steering angles and all levels of compression. Have alignment tech move caster as far forward as possible while maintaining 0.0 to 0.1 camber. This will be in the mid 3s if your UCA adds 2 deg of caster. 1 degree caster = about 1 finger width movement fore/aft.