Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Front doorlocks not actually staying LOCKED?

Old 05-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
Khmer Member
tacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wes
tacowestley's Tacoma Gallery
Front doorlocks not actually staying LOCKED?

hey there fellers

Ok i got an 05 tacoma double cab and have noticed my front door locks dont stay locked for some reason. Say I lock the doors, and its time to get out I grab the handle...the lock ends up unlocking showing the red square! (there are those times when you forget your car is locked so you grab the handle first lol)

Theres no child lock for the front doors of course and ONLY happens with the front doors...anybody notice this?
Old 05-16-2012, 12:09 AM   #2
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
So, when you pull the door handle, the door unlocks and opens, even though it was originally locked?

I seem to remember that being the case in all the other cars I've owned over the years. I never really paid attention to it in the Tacoma. I'll have to check tomorrow.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:42 AM   #3
Khmer Member
tacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacowestley is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
So, when you pull the door handle, the door unlocks and opens, even though it was originally locked?

I seem to remember that being the case in all the other cars I've owned over the years. I never really paid attention to it in the Tacoma. I'll have to check tomorrow.
yup exactly the way you describe it

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Its a safety thing for emergency egress iirc.
Safety thing? isnt that what door LOCKS are for tho? i mean it would also have child locks too in front if anything lol
Old 05-16-2012, 12:55 AM   #4
Khmer Member

yea that makes sense...does yours do it also tho?
Old 05-16-2012, 12:58 AM   #5
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
My doors won't lock until both doors are shut as well.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:00 AM   #6
Khmer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
My doors won't lock until both doors are shut as well.
thats the thing, even when both front doors are shut and locked..i grab the handle and the doors unlock and open right up lol

so me n you are in the same boat...anybody else?
Old 05-16-2012, 01:03 AM   #7
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The outside handle? Or the inside handle? Cause there is a big difference
Old 05-16-2012, 01:03 AM   #8

The inside handle does that for safety reasons.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:10 AM   #9

If you have an alarm and the alarm is armed then you open the door from the inside handle the alarm will sound and activate any other anti theft systems. An example would be a broken window then trying to open the inside handle. The same would go for manually unlocking the door from the inside while the alarm is armed
Old 05-16-2012, 01:12 AM   #10
Khmer Member

inside handles and i also have karr lowjack system?
Old 05-16-2012, 01:21 AM   #11
Khmer Member

haha yea i get it...might as well not have doorlocks at all lol
Old 05-16-2012, 01:23 AM   #12

All locks do is keep honest people honest. If someone wants your shit bad enough they will get it.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Lmao.. they are still locked from the outside!
X2 lol
Old 05-16-2012, 01:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Some chick in my city was stopped at a red light and a guy opened her passenger door and sat in her car.. locking them would've kept that from happening
That's why some cars have the automatic door lock after reaching 5-15mph or so. That's crazy tho! I lock my doors when I'm in a bad part of town
Old 05-16-2012, 01:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Discouraged/ prevented.. my bad
Like i said. Keeping honest people honest. Lol
Old 05-16-2012, 02:01 AM   #17
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
That's why some cars have the automatic door lock after reaching 5-15mph or so. That's crazy tho! I lock my doors when I'm in a bad part of town
you should lock them anyways...regardless

a locked door is something like 10x safer

ie: a rollover crash...a locked door is less likely to fling open and allow you to go bouncing partially or completely out of your vehicle as it's rolling over
Old 05-16-2012, 07:16 AM   #18
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
I think about every car I've ever been in at least since the early 1960s had front door locks that worked as described in the OP. Even in the days before anyone had power door locks.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:20 AM   #19
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
I think about every car I've ever been in at least since the early 1960s had front door locks that worked as described in the OP. Even in the days before anyone had power door locks.
Yup. My Dad's 75 Ford F250 did this. Nothing new.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #20
Tookie is on a distinguished road

Tookie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
Nope... Fords have been this way as long as I can remember,
(pulling door release handle from inside unlocks door as well)
but on GM products, if the door is locked, you cannot open it
from the inside. It's up to the manufacturer.